Video Games

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Mon May 21, 2018 7:36 am

I think I need to put parental controls on my Xbox to save myself from playing Fortnite until 2 A.M. on work nights...
After hearing about this game non stop from my kids, I finally downloaded it yesterday. I still don't understand what I'm trying to do in the game, but it seems fun.
Learning how to build is the key to winning fights. It is fun and a nice break from the typical shooter. The emotes and crazy skins are fun for all ages.
I'm watching them play and they jump up and build stuff before landing, I'm looking at what button to hit to get a specific build and then usually die trying to hit that button. Is there a specific game mode that's better than others?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon May 21, 2018 7:48 am

I think I need to put parental controls on my Xbox to save myself from playing Fortnite until 2 A.M. on work nights...
After hearing about this game non stop from my kids, I finally downloaded it yesterday. I still don't understand what I'm trying to do in the game, but it seems fun.
Learning how to build is the key to winning fights. It is fun and a nice break from the typical shooter. The emotes and crazy skins are fun for all ages.
I'm watching them play and they jump up and build stuff before landing, I'm looking at what button to hit to get a specific build and then usually die trying to hit that button. Is there a specific game mode that's better than others?
The best way to learn to build is drop a remote part of the map, get a bunch of materials and just practice building. For most fights making 4 walls in a box shape with a ramp/stairs is sufficient to get the high ground and fight. Also be prepared for shotguns to do 9 damage headshots randomly.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Mon May 21, 2018 10:39 am

The best way to learn to build is drop a remote part of the map, get a bunch of materials and just practice building. For most fights making 4 walls in a box shape with a ramp/stairs is sufficient to get the high ground and fight. Also be prepared for shotguns to do 9 damage headshots randomly.
good deal, thanks. I was looking around to see what kind of add ons you can get for this game and I saw the game for xbox costs $60. My kids said it was a free download on Saturday, does that make sense? Also, can you change characters or is it what they give you? Can you tell I've played nothing but Zelda for the last year and a half?

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Mon May 21, 2018 10:47 am

Yeah, don't buy Fortnite. The Battle Royale mode, which is what everyone plays, is free.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon May 21, 2018 11:02 am

good deal, thanks. I was looking around to see what kind of add ons you can get for this game and I saw the game for xbox costs $60. My kids said it was a free download on Saturday, does that make sense? Also, can you change characters or is it what they give you? Can you tell I've played nothing but Zelda for the last year and a half?
The PvP battle royale portion is free and what 99% of people play. The PvE has been rumored to become free for months now. I haven't played any of the PvE so I can't really comment on it.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon May 21, 2018 1:00 pm

Battlefield V teaser trailer revealed that it is most likely set in WWII. Full reveal on Wednesday.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Mon May 21, 2018 3:59 pm

Fortnite is a weird situation where the game was fully intended to be a PvE game as far back as 2011, but the battle royale mode accidentally transformed its identity. So much so that the PvE portion has taken a backseat in development, since the battle royale mode has more than funded the project.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:22 pm

Yeah, Epic Games are now offering $100000 purse(s) for Fortnite Battle Royale tournaments...all funded from microtransactions.

My kids, left to their own devices, would spend HUNDREDS of dollars on this nonsense. We finally had to put the kibosh on it, as they were blowing through holiday/birthday money at a ridiculous rate...like they stopped buying actual physical things with their money.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Mon May 21, 2018 4:27 pm

Battlefield V teaser trailer revealed that it is most likely set in WWII. Full reveal on Wednesday.
I'm pretty accident, how much I thought I wasn't going to love BF1, it ended up being my most played next-gen battlefield.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Video Games

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 21, 2018 4:32 pm

I play a couple games on my phone that have microtransactions, and I've never once bought anything. I suppose there's enough people out there that do so the developers don't care about people like me playing, but I never realized how much money some people spend on such things...

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon May 21, 2018 4:36 pm

It's the cool thing - at my kids' schools - to have all the latest and greatest skins. They would easily piss away HUNDREDS of dollars on it, so I can only imagine what people with actual disposable income spend. :lol:

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Mon May 21, 2018 4:59 pm

It's the cool thing - at my kids' schools - to have all the latest and greatest skins. They would easily piss away HUNDREDS of dollars on it, so I can only imagine what people with actual disposable income spend. :lol:
My kids just asked me to get a free skin through something called twitch? I've never heard of twitch so that was an easy one to throw away, but with that said, are there any easy free ways to get these skins in fortnite for Xbox?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Video Games

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 21, 2018 5:01 pm

Twitch is legit... it's like youtube, but more for video games and there's quite a bit of live streaming (in fact, it's mostly live streaming).

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Mon May 21, 2018 5:22 pm

If you have an Amazon Prime subscription, then you have access twitch prime which offers free bonus to certain games each month. You just need to have a Twitch account and link your Amazon Prime account. That's what your kids are referring to.

Amazon bought Twitch a few years ago for $1 billion, so Twitch is a pretty big deal.

Viva la Ben

Video Games

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon May 21, 2018 5:36 pm

There are people making a living steaming themselves playing a video game on twitch.
Dr. DisRespect is one of the more popular ones.
https://m.twitch.tv/drdisrespectlive

dodint

Video Games

Postby dodint » Mon May 21, 2018 5:37 pm

I used to use Twitch to watch my buddy race in his online racing league.

the wicked child

Video Games

Postby the wicked child » Mon May 21, 2018 5:43 pm

Twitch has its uses for sure, but I had a serious wtf moment while playing Path of Exile a couple years back where the rest of my group wanted to stop playing to watch some guy who was going for the first to finish the new content on hardcore to win a laptop... Dude died to make matters worse so he didn't win ****.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Mon May 21, 2018 8:08 pm

If you have an Amazon Prime subscription, then you have access twitch prime which offers free bonus to certain games each month. You just need to have a Twitch account and link your Amazon Prime account. That's what your kids are referring to.

Amazon bought Twitch a few years ago for $1 billion, so Twitch is a pretty big deal.
Just signed up. Good deal. Thanks 5AF

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue May 22, 2018 9:04 am

Just signed up. Good deal. Thanks 5AF
Twitch Prime is also nice because if you or your kid wants to watch a streamer play you can watch their stream without any ads. I'm 100% sure your kid already knows who Ninja is, another good one that typically doesn't do a lot of cursing or other course language is Dr. Lupo.

After you activate your Twitch Prime account you will need to link the Epic games account to the Twitch Prime account to receive the free skin, pick axe, and dance.

https://www.windowscentral.com/twitch-p ... tle-royale

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:11 am

Problem with that...is only one kid can link to it. This causes problems with multikid households.

Spangler

Video Games

Postby Spangler » Tue May 22, 2018 8:09 pm

Have them battle it out in Fortnite for it. lol

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 22, 2018 8:58 pm

😂

willeyeam

Video Games

Postby willeyeam » Wed May 23, 2018 7:40 am

Skins are for winners, son

Lemon Berry Lobster

Video Games

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed May 23, 2018 7:41 am

Skins are for winners, son

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu May 24, 2018 1:46 pm

Battlefield V looks compelling. Lots of customization, no premium/season pass, lots of game mechanics changing for the better.

The reveal video was good, but they decided to let the community "game changers" explain the changes via their own YouTube channels. If you were a new BF fan, you wouldn't know to go to one of these community channels to find more info.

Naturally, social media is up in arms that a woman was featured in the trailer and on the cover of the game. Claims of historical accuracy have been rebuffed with countless videos and gifs of all of the wacky stunts and nonsense seen in previous BF titles...jumping out of a jet to RPG another jet, and climb back into your jet etc. It's all so tiresome and predictable.