Video Games

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:16 pm

Anthony Caliber (famed speedrunner) has been a special guest on Retro Replay a few times during quarantine. He's done The Last Of Us and TLOU II, and most recently Uncharted 3. The last one was absolutely hysterical, because there are a few glitches in the PS4 remaster of UC3 that allow you to straight skip entire portions of maps by 'teleporting'. He did the airport level in, no joke, like 2 minutes; when Noly did it, it took him two entire episodes. Caliber's entire complete-game playthrough was only two episodes, like 2hrs and 20 mins.

I'm sort of a completionist, not one my first playthrough necessarily, but on a replay I certainly want to collect all the collecty things and trophies and stuff. I've never done a speedrun before, but after watching Caliber on Retro I kinda want to give it a try.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:17 pm

Shadows of the Empire is the GOAT Star Wars game.
I don't think I've played a SW game since KOTOR, which would be hard to dethrone.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:25 pm

I know KOTOR is very highly regarded. I'm just not a RPG guy so it wasn't my cup of tea.

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:29 pm

Honestly, I'm not either; KOTOR might be the only one I've ever played. haha

MR25

Video Games

Postby MR25 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 3:38 pm

Outside of Mass Effect (I guess you could call that an RPG?) I haven't found anything else that matches how good of an RPG KOTOR was. I think it effectively ruined the RPG genre for me, because nothing else got close.

Kane

Video Games

Postby Kane » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:31 pm

Qft

the wicked child

Video Games

Postby the wicked child » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:15 am

Viva la Ben

Video Games

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:59 am

EA play is being rolled into gamepass ultimate for Xbox on November 10th.
You’ll be able to play Star Wars squadron for free if you are an ultimate subscriber.

Squadrons is great! Quite a bit more arcade than my main spaceship game, elite:dangerous, but it still has a learning curve for balancing systems.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:02 am

You’ll be able to play Star Wars squadron for free if you are an ultimate subscriber.

Squadrons is great! Quite a bit more arcade than my main spaceship game, elite:dangerous, but it still has a learning curve for balancing systems.
I thought EA Play only included a 10-hour free trial of new games. It usually takes a year or two before titles move to the free-to-play "vault." Is that being changed for Gamepass?

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:07 am

I thought EA Play only included a 10-hour free trial of new games. It usually takes a year or two before titles move to the free-to-play "vault." Is that being changed for Gamepass?
That's still accurate, EA Play also has a library of free EA games, including the outdated sports titles.

Viva la Ben

Video Games

Postby Viva la Ben » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:12 am

I bought squadrons on PC, and yesterday i checked out on Xbox and it said it was included with EA play. I don’t know anything about limited play.

Stoosh

Video Games

Postby Stoosh » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:20 am

I'm really enjoying it. Still playing through the story mode to get practice with the controls before I jump into the multiplayer stuff, but it's a hell of a lot of fun. It really does remind me a lot of the old X-Wing/TIE Fighter games.

The only three ships I haven't flown yet are the TIE Interceptor, TIE Bomber, and U-Wing. Since I was a kid I've always been partial to Y-Wings and standard TIE fighters so once I dive into the post-campaign stuff, those will probably be my go-to ships but the TIE Reaper (support role ship) was interesting to fly as well.

I love that your ship can actually take significant damage. I liked the starfighter modes in the two most recent Battlefront games, but TIEs in general and interceptor-class ships took so little damage before being destroyed, it would get frustrating. I've used the A-wing enough in Squadrons to see that even it holds up well. My next story mission will be my first run with a TIE Interceptor so we'll see how that goes.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:47 am

Damn, that sounds fun.

I drove myself crazy trying to remember the wings of the sky star in Mario 64 this weekend. I had to walk away again.

grunthy

Video Games

Postby grunthy » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:55 am

Damn, that sounds fun.

I drove myself crazy trying to remember the wings of the sky star in Mario 64 this weekend. I had to walk away again.
Use the cannon.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:57 am

I'm more impressed that you didn't just look up a walkthrough on YouTube.

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:10 pm

I really need to emulate this. The reviews are not as good as I thought they were but damn I loved that game.

That said, my real soft spots are the first two Dark Forces games. I remember (figuratively) shtting my pants when encountering the Dark Trooper in that maze.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Mon Oct 05, 2020 1:05 pm

I'm more impressed that you didn't just look up a walkthrough on YouTube.
It was difficult to not do this, but if I did it when I was younger, I'm hoping to do it again now

the wicked child

Video Games

Postby the wicked child » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:53 pm

Anyone else see this?

It's expensive, but could be interesting. I'm taking a wait and see approach.

Beveridge

Video Games

Postby Beveridge » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:25 am

That is crazy awesome.

willeyeam

Video Games

Postby willeyeam » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:36 am

Anyone else playing PGA 2K21?

I was on the fence a couple weeks ago, but my dad bought it for himself and I played with him while post-vacation quarantining. It was a ton of fun so I bought it last night.

The best part so far (not into career mode yet) would have to be a tie between the scaling difficulty (the timing aspect is a steep learning curve) and the ability to play courses others have created. While the real-life course offerings are limited to TPC courses and East Lake, the community has carried over from The Golf Club and there is a wide variety of community-made, real PGA courses. Got to play a round at Harbour Town, Augusta (or a close approximation to it), Carnoustie, and Pebble Beach.

I'm excited to keep diving into this, as I haven't played a golf game since Tiger Woods 10.
The best thing that Franchise did was break away from whoever EA was using and working with the Golf Club people. I may check it out here, as I've heard some good things about it.
I just saw this. I've been playing since TGC 2.. It's great. The player graphics leave a bit to be desired but hopefully that'll be ironed out with the next version on next gen. The community and courses are what make it. The difficulty can be ratcheted up to not shoot 58 every time if you want which I enjoy. Have either of you looked into tgctours.com?

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:39 am

First in depth look/tear down of PS5. There's a chance that dude is just a small guy, but holy **** the PS5 is gigantic.

I do like that you can remove the base (unlike Series X) and store the screw within the base. Then you can simply clip on the base for horizontal display. That's smart design. Removable panels is also cool. The assumption being that those will be customizable. The storage expansion is more annoying than the Series X option, though reports are that there will many options for a third party drive (unlike Xbox with Seagate only at the moment). Liquid metal cooling and dust catchers are also pretty damn neat.

I still think the design is hideous.

Morkle

Video Games

Postby Morkle » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:57 am

I was on the fence a couple weeks ago, but my dad bought it for himself and I played with him while post-vacation quarantining. It was a ton of fun so I bought it last night.

The best part so far (not into career mode yet) would have to be a tie between the scaling difficulty (the timing aspect is a steep learning curve) and the ability to play courses others have created. While the real-life course offerings are limited to TPC courses and East Lake, the community has carried over from The Golf Club and there is a wide variety of community-made, real PGA courses. Got to play a round at Harbour Town, Augusta (or a close approximation to it), Carnoustie, and Pebble Beach.

I'm excited to keep diving into this, as I haven't played a golf game since Tiger Woods 10.
The best thing that Franchise did was break away from whoever EA was using and working with the Golf Club people. I may check it out here, as I've heard some good things about it.
I just saw this. I've been playing since TGC 2.. It's great. The player graphics leave a bit to be desired but hopefully that'll be ironed out with the next version on next gen. The community and courses are what make it. The difficulty can be ratcheted up to not shoot 58 every time if you want which I enjoy. Have either of you looked into tgctours.com?
I have not heard of this site, but it looks pretty neat. So just a online tour without having to play anyone? Submit your scores and proof?

willeyeam

Video Games

Postby willeyeam » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:02 am

I have not heard of this site, but it looks pretty neat. So just a online tour without having to play anyone? Submit your scores and proof?
You sign up and link your account. You join the society which has the weekly tournaments and the scores automatically submit to the site and the leaderboard updates within about 15 minutes. It's pretty fun. There are promotions and demotions from each tour based on how you fare. I'm on the J flight because my qualifying rounds were shite but should be moving up soon. Might wanna check out the difficulty settings if you plan on it.. they aren't easy, depending what you've been playing on

the wicked child

Video Games

Postby the wicked child » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:30 pm

Apparently the Mario version of Mario Kart Home Circuit sold out on Amazon in under 2 minutes. I haven't seen anything about the Luigi karts going live yet, but I would imagine it will be similar.

eddy

Video Games

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:31 pm

Apparently the Mario version of Mario Kart Home Circuit sold out on Amazon in under 2 minutes. I haven't seen anything about the Luigi karts going live yet, but I would imagine it will be similar.
Best buy has it as coming soon...