PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

skullman80

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:35 am

:lol: Yeah, I can see the recipes thing. I'd have to find a way to sync my own recipes to use them. The Show does integrate with my Ring doorbell, but it'd be pointless unless I was in the kitchen when motion was detected or the doorbell rang.
Is the ring doorbell worth it? I saw some deals on that and ours needs replaced anyways, but I wasn't sure if it actually worked well or not.

NTP66

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:38 am

Source of the post Full disclosure I have an echo dot in the living room basically for the sole purpose of me being too lazy to turn the lights on and off manually, and one downstairs in the mancave for the same reason. I use them for random questions here and there, and play Sirius on them. Eventually I want to integrate them with smart locks and other switches, but for right now they are all just used casually.
We have Echos in virtually every room in the house now, with exception to my daughter's bedroom. They come in very handy, and the normal Echos sound surprisingly good when playing music.

In terms of automation, give a lot of thought on what you want to integrate, and how you'll use and access it. I originally started out with some Kasa smart plugs because they required no hub and integrated into Alexa, but have since moved onto Samsung SmartThings. I've got my ecobee 4 thermostat, two water sensors, my front door lock (Yale Assure), front door sensor, my Ring Pro doorbell, and two repeating smart plugs all connected to SmartThings, which integrates with Alexa. Most of those devices are Z-Wave Plus. I use custom SmartApps to control certain behavior, like automatically locking the front door if it remains unlocked for more than 1 minute, or managing access codes for everyone in my family (and contractors, if need be). Works very nicely for me, and I'm glad I decided on SmartThings before I bought a whole bunch of stuff that ran on different systems (August, etc.).

skullman80

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:43 am

Source of the post Full disclosure I have an echo dot in the living room basically for the sole purpose of me being too lazy to turn the lights on and off manually, and one downstairs in the mancave for the same reason. I use them for random questions here and there, and play Sirius on them. Eventually I want to integrate them with smart locks and other switches, but for right now they are all just used casually.
We have Echos in virtually every room in the house now, with exception to my daughter's bedroom. They come in very handy, and the normal Echos sound surprisingly good when playing music.

In terms of automation, give a lot of thought on what you want to integrate, and how you'll use and access it. I originally started out with some Kasa smart plugs because they required no hub and integrated into Alexa, but have since moved onto Samsung SmartThings. I've got my ecobee 4 thermostat, two water sensors, my front door lock (Yale Assure), front door sensor, my Ring Pro doorbell, and two repeating smart plugs all connected to SmartThings, which integrates with Alexa. Most of those devices are Z-Wave Plus. I use custom SmartApps to control certain behavior, like automatically locking the front door if it remains unlocked for more than 1 minute, or managing access codes for everyone in my family (and contractors, if need be). Works very nicely for me, and I'm glad I decided on SmartThings before I bought a whole bunch of stuff that ran on different systems (August, etc.).
I have Kasa smart plugs now, but your method sounds better once I integrate more things down the road. The doorbell/door lock were going to be my next venture sometime soon.

NTP66

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:44 am

:lol: Yeah, I can see the recipes thing. I'd have to find a way to sync my own recipes to use them. The Show does integrate with my Ring doorbell, but it'd be pointless unless I was in the kitchen when motion was detected or the doorbell rang.
Is the ring doorbell worth it? I saw some deals on that and ours needs replaced anyways, but I wasn't sure if it actually worked well or not.
I love it, personally. The Pro is $169 right now, which is cheap. It's hardwired, BTW, so if you need a battery version, you'll want the Ring Doorbell 2. Install is a piece of cake, but you'll also want to validate that you have the appropriate transformer on your current doorbell. It's a cheap part if you need to swap it.

In terms of use, it's nice being able to receive alerts, and also integrate the chime into Alexa. I can disable my normal doorbell and just let Alexa announce that somebody's at the door if I want to. I do pay for the monthly subscription to be able to keep recordings for 30 days, and am looking to upgrade to the 24/7 coverage if they ever release it.

NTP66

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:54 am

if anyone is monitoring this tag me when any tv deals come up plz
You just missed their big TV deal - a 70" Sony for 50% off ($800).
I'm sadly just looking for something in the 40-45 inch range
If there's any leeway, Walmart has the same 49" Sony that is an Amazon Prime deal for less money: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-49-Clas ... /211381714

Outside of that, the only Prime Day deals I see on smaller sets are all the ones built on Fire OS. I'm hesitant to even go that route given the issues I see in all of the reviews. I was looking for a 43" 4k set for my bedroom earlier, and was very close to pulling the trigger on this ($100 less than it normally is, and rated decently on rtings.com): https://www.amazon.com/LG-43UM7300PUA-A ... B07PQ96ZJN. And here's the same set, but includes a wall mount and a few other things for an extra $6: https://www.amazon.com/LG-43UM7300PUA-U ... B07QCKNSXN

mikey

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:56 am

Smart TV or soundbar might be of interest to me...not that I won't be monitoring it myself, but if anyone sees one or the other...holla atcha boy...

willeyeam

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:28 am

if anyone is monitoring this tag me when any tv deals come up plz
You just missed their big TV deal - a 70" Sony for 50% off ($800).
I'm sadly just looking for something in the 40-45 inch range
If there's any leeway, Walmart has the same 49" Sony that is an Amazon Prime deal for less money: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sony-49-Clas ... /211381714

Outside of that, the only Prime Day deals I see on smaller sets are all the ones built on Fire OS. I'm hesitant to even go that route given the issues I see in all of the reviews. I was looking for a 43" 4k set for my bedroom earlier, and was very close to pulling the trigger on this ($100 less than it normally is, and rated decently on rtings.com): https://www.amazon.com/LG-43UM7300PUA-A ... B07PQ96ZJN. And here's the same set, but includes a wall mount and a few other things for an extra $6: https://www.amazon.com/LG-43UM7300PUA-U ... B07QCKNSXN
Good stuff :thumb:

I was debating the 43" Toshiba Fire TV deal on Prime

tifosi77

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:45 am

We've had a Ring on our front door for about a month now. The biggest takeaway has been the sheer volume of notifications from other Ring users in our vicinity of shenanigansy conduct in our (presumably) quite safe neighborhood. Prowlers, car break ins, porch pirates, roaming mountain lions in back yards...... honestly, the net effect has been to amp up my personal paranoia.

MrKennethTKangaroo

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:50 am

We've had a Ring on our front door for about a month now. The biggest takeaway has been the sheer volume of notifications from other Ring users in our vicinity of shenanigansy conduct in our (presumably) quite safe neighborhood. Prowlers, car break ins, porch pirates, roaming mountain lions in back yards...... honestly, the net effect has been to amp up my personal paranoia.
IYO are people just paranoid or are there legit problems occurring in your hood

NTP66

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:50 am

FYI, you can change your notification options in the app so that you only receive alerts for certain notifications. You can even change when you get the alerts. Some people abuse that feature, like posting fireworks videos and listing it under 'crime'. Ring still hasn't addressed the fact that you can flag an inappropriate comment, but not an inappropriate post.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:05 am

Currently, I have a little cheapo bluetooth speaker in my kitchen for music. It requires that I turn it on, connect to it, get on my phone, turn on what I want to listen to, skip a track, etc. I'm assuming an Echo dot can do all this handsfree, yes? Or just go with the Echo for better sound quality?

Edit: as a follow up, I cannot imagine a time that I would need a screen, but if the sound quality is similar to the echo, and the screen is just there, why not go with the Echo Show 5?

Troy Loney

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:09 am

How does this work? I know that I need to get one of those Bona mops, how would I know if there is a sale on that?

Morkle

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby Morkle » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:34 am

Currently, I have a little cheapo bluetooth speaker in my kitchen for music. It requires that I turn it on, connect to it, get on my phone, turn on what I want to listen to, skip a track, etc. I'm assuming an Echo dot can do all this handsfree, yes? Or just go with the Echo for better sound quality?

Edit: as a follow up, I cannot imagine a time that I would need a screen, but if the sound quality is similar to the echo, and the screen is just there, why not go with the Echo Show 5?
Go with better sound always, I have the Echo and Dot, and Echo is a million miles better.

MrKennethTKangaroo

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:38 am

you know, i'd gladly give amazon access to all of my private conversations for the sake of not having physically hit a button to skip a track

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:40 am

pffft... like I actually talk about anything that needs to not be private.

Morkle

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby Morkle » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:43 am

My conversations are 99% about a child, you want to hear me baby talk my son? Have at it.

Morkle

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby Morkle » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:44 am

Also, say hello to your cellphone that likely does the same thing, as it's always "listening" too.

MrKennethTKangaroo

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:47 am

I have a flip phone. don't tread on me.

count2infinity

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:49 am

Go with better sound always, I have the Echo and Dot, and Echo is a million miles better.
You're a nerd... can you look at the Echo vs Echo Show 5 and give me your opinion on audio?

dodint

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:05 am

https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-03063-MA ... 00JGQLS64/

Castrol 03063 GTX MAGNATEC 5W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 Quart for $18. You can get it as low as $16 if you get the high mileage blend. I picked up two containers for my van. Nice.

Morkle

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby Morkle » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:08 am

You're a nerd... can you look at the Echo vs Echo Show 5 and give me your opinion on audio?
No because I don't have one or see a need for a screen when my cellphone is readily available at any given time.

count2infinity

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:12 am

I’m thinking for timers. Having it in the kitchen, and having a display for setting timers on cooking things would be good. But I can really live without the screen. The echo and echo show 5 are the same price.

mac5155

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:30 am

https://www.amazon.com/Castrol-03063-MA ... 00JGQLS64/

Castrol 03063 GTX MAGNATEC 5W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 Quart for $18. You can get it as low as $16 if you get the high mileage blend. I picked up two containers for my van. Nice.
I usually just get the deal-of-the-week with the filter at Advance Auto. Is this much different after I end up buying a $6-8 filter?

dodint

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby dodint » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:31 am

Garmin GPS running watches are as low as $85. The highly capable Forerunner 235 is discounted down to $139.

mac5155

PRIME DAY - JULY 15TH

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:32 am