Problem Solved, Thanks 5AF!

IanMoran

Postby IanMoran » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:55 pm

Signed a lease, got approved but they ran a criminal / credit report check on me and e-mailed me the results of my "rental report". Under "Criminal History", this showed up:
Charge Offense Date Filed Date Plea Date Verdict Date Disposition Date
5/28/2009 - Misdemeanor (Guilty)
(Not Considered)
DISREGARD TRAFFIC CONTROL
DEVICE
I've only gotten 1 ticket in my life and sure enough, it was on that date (I know because I got it running late to the Penguins playoff game on that day :( ). I was going 80 in a 65 This is a citation though? I'm not sure why it is showing up as a misdemeanor?

Is there any action I should take about this? I've previously had criminal background checks since 2009 (was at 1 point going for school to be a teacher) and they always showed up completely clean. I'm now semi-paranoid since I have an application pending for the bar and states I have had no felonies or misdemeanors (which I haven't).
Last edited by IanMoran on Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

tifosi77

Speeding Ticket Showing up as "Misdemeanor" on "Rental Report"; Help?

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:17 pm

Two possible red flags in your facts: 15 mph over limit, and 80 mph. Not sure about PA, but in some states, either would be cause to bump the infraction up to a criminal misdemeanor.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:19 pm

No one is going to care you got one traffic violation.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:25 pm

The problem isn't that he has the violation, it's that he has it and didn't disclose it. That can be grounds for denial of admission.

IM, if I were you I'd contact the bar immediately and explain the situation. CYA.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:27 pm

Tell them you have a need. A need for speed.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:56 pm

Getting a ticket for going 80 in a 65 is borderline ridiculous. Never mind, it is ridiculous.

Craig

Postby Craig » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:12 pm

Its 30 and over reckless endangerment for a misdemeanor.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:55 pm

As someone that works in the transportation field, albeit mostly with CDL drivers, it strikes me as odd that this would be a misdemeanor unless they tacked on a reckless driving charge on top. Typically, this is a plea down situation for first time offenders that go 15+ over and they plea for a lesser, generic charge. A summary offense it is referred to in PA I believe.

I would call your local court and see if you can learn more about the record. Why it is listed as a misdemeanor and not a summary offense, etc.

To be more specific, I deal in background checks in the transportation industry, and sometimes these things do occur erroneously. I would call and try to learn some more information. 15+ over is a pretty major offense in the CDL industry, but I highly doubt it carries the weight of a misdemeanor for a first time offender for a non-CDL driver.

I did take a brief look through Title 75 (PA Vehicle Code) and there doesn't appear to be much in the way of grounds for this misdemeanor charge - though, I'm not a lawyer. But I'm also not unfamiliar with these regulations.

I don't know, check it out, could be a mistake at a local level. Might not get scooped up by a national criminal search either...county criminal searches are much, much different. Very easy to slip things like this by a national search.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:35 pm

Even if it's an administrative error, if still contact the bar while you're sorting this out. I think they'll be more disposed to be lenient.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:52 pm

Tell them you have a need. A need for speed.
lololol one of the board's resident attorneys offering sage legal counsel.

IanMoran

Postby IanMoran » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:00 am

As someone that works in the transportation field, albeit mostly with CDL drivers, it strikes me as odd that this would be a misdemeanor unless they tacked on a reckless driving charge on top. Typically, this is a plea down situation for first time offenders that go 15+ over and they plea for a lesser, generic charge. A summary offense it is referred to in PA I believe.

I would call your local court and see if you can learn more about the record. Why it is listed as a misdemeanor and not a summary offense, etc.

To be more specific, I deal in background checks in the transportation industry, and sometimes these things do occur erroneously. I would call and try to learn some more information. 15+ over is a pretty major offense in the CDL industry, but I highly doubt it carries the weight of a misdemeanor for a first time offender for a non-CDL driver.

I did take a brief look through Title 75 (PA Vehicle Code) and there doesn't appear to be much in the way of grounds for this misdemeanor charge - though, I'm not a lawyer. But I'm also not unfamiliar with these regulations.

I don't know, check it out, could be a mistake at a local level. Might not get scooped up by a national criminal search either...county criminal searches are much, much different. Very easy to slip things like this by a national search.
Thanks, I was planning to do this (once I calmed down from initial WTF).

I'm 98% sure it was an error (and honestly starting to think it was an error on the part of the company that does this rental thing, but who knows).

More info that I left out. I got the ticket, instead of a speeding ticket, the officer gave me a "failure to obey traffic sign" and wrote in the notes "80 in 65". He explained to me this would prevent it from affecting my insurance and receiving points (it did) and said this operates exactly like a parking ticket (I guess I should have looked more into it). It had a date for traffic court, or to mail in the fine amount $ if plead guilty. I mailed in the fine amount (of course 20 year old me didn't mention this to my parents) and a couple days later the Court mailed a receipt to my parent's house (that was a fun explanation!) Anyways, I specifically remembering them wanting to know what I got a citation for. I imagine if it said a misdemeanor on that it would have been a bigger deal.

Never thought I'd be dealing with this 6+ years later, but such is life
Last edited by IanMoran on Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

IanMoran

Postby IanMoran » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:00 am

Even if it's an administrative error, if still contact the bar while you're sorting this out. I think they'll be more disposed to be lenient.
Will do

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:01 am

Look yourself up https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/MDJ.aspx

What does the docket sheet say?

IanMoran

Postby IanMoran » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:28 am

Look yourself up https://ujsportal.pacourts.us/DocketSheets/MDJ.aspx

What does the docket sheet say?
Thanks!

Grade S, Summary offense.

Looked up actual statute I violated as well:
(1) A person who violates this section commits a summary offense and shall, upon conviction, pay a fine of $150...
I guess I'll contact the service the rental company used, just so they don't continue to wrongly report my criminal history.

All this for nothing, but thanks to everyone!

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:33 am

Yay nothing!

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:50 am

Very interesting.