Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

shafnutz05

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:41 pm

Robert Wickens not dead. Huzzah.

Never really seen a catch fence just cheese grate every appendage on a car and then spit the monocoque back onto the circuit. He is really lucky it landed flat side down.
I just watched the replay of that wreck. The onboard camera from Hunter-Reay's car was terrifying. Robert's car came so close to taking his head off that it actually clipped off his camera mount. That's what is so scary about the open cockpit.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:47 pm

Please tell me RHR's spotter gave him a 'clear' call, cos that was pretty awful driving if he knew he had a car partially alongside.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:50 pm

Please tell me RHR's spotter gave him a 'clear' call, cos that was pretty awful driving if he knew he had a car partially alongside.
Agreed, Wickens was on the yellow line. Not sure if the teams used multiple spotters, but the tunnel turn is awfully far away for 1 guy to handle.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:14 pm

RHR said he gave Wickens "One or one-half lanes room" which, in this case, a half means putting the overtaking car on the apron. Both drivers have some fault here, but you'd think Wickens could wait for one of the any other 190 laps to make a move.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:20 pm

RHR said he gave Wickens "One or one-half lanes room" which, in this case, a half means putting the overtaking car on the apron. Both drivers have some fault here, but you'd think Wickens could wait for one of the any other 190 laps to make a move.
Yep, #WICKENSFORLIFE didn't make the move late, but he sure could have backed out of it.
Perhaps if they'd had any substantial track time this weekend Robby would have known how difficult it is to go side-by-side through T2.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:23 pm

I know it's a convoluted game of telephone; but I'm hearing that Wickens spine injury is basically a Shazier situation. Very likely he'll walk again, but the chance of reinjury is so high that he's done with racing.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:34 pm

Yikes. I feel for the guy.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:09 pm

Glad they're looking at him being able to walk again.
From the updates, and the lack of commentary on being able to feel/move his extremities I was braced for him turning into his owner.

Which by the way, there's a great bit about how much he (Sam Schmidt) still likes to party on his Dinner with Racers episode, and an even better part about what happens when he backs up under a tap.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:32 am

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:23 am

:lol:

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:00 pm

This July 11, 1925 photograph titled “Auto races at Laurel, Maryland.” shows the 1⅛-mile wooden oval at Laurel Speedway. These tracks took months to build and thousands of tonnes of lumber, crashes often led to horrific wood-splinter injuries.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:37 pm

For me the amazing thing is how many of the tracks only lasted a couple years, due to the stock market crash and maintenance costs, but you think about the initial investment going down the drain in two years.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:57 pm

Marcus Ericsson. What broke on that car, yikes.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:00 pm

Everything.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:01 pm

I mean before the shunt, goober.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:04 pm

;)

It's an Alfa Romeo, no telling really.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:09 pm

I hadn't thought of it like that. Fair play.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:08 pm

IndyCar is coming to COTA next year. F1 is simply too expensive to travel to race; I'd be happy to go to one if I could drive to it and back in a day, but throwing hundreds of dollars in tickets on top of airfare and hotel is just too much. But IndyCar? Might have a good excuse to visit Austin next spring.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:10 pm

They're adding a chicane so they don't run the exact same course as F1. It amazes me on two fronts: just how insecure they are, and how they're willing to project it.

Indy cars and F1 cars are different formulas; obviously they'll run different times.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:23 pm

So right. They didn't alter Canada when the two series raced there concurrently, and Champ Cars were a good six or seven seconds off F1 pace. The slowest F1 times were 2-3 seconds faster than Champ Car pole. I'd imagine current IndyCars are, relatively speaking, more off the pace than that.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:29 pm

I actually think the far end of the track is too played out for Indycars. It's 3.5 miles and it's not nearly as fast as Road America. COTA was talking about having to lay asphalt, so they aren't using my idea (not like I didn't send them a 27 page detailed report on the matter).

I say make T7 a 130° turn, and make the move onto the backstretch a flatout sweeper. The asphalt is already there. Indycars only need half that backstretch I figure.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:45 pm

If you do that, you effectively eliminate two overtaking spots imo. (T11 is no longer a thing, and cars won't be able to follow through the sweeper into 'new' T8) That plan also eliminates half a dozen grandstands, not that I necessarily think IndyCar would fill them.

Speaking of, I wish they would do something with T16-18.... as is, they're the Achilles heel of the circuit - they're fast, but sort of easy flat, and they just screw up the approach to T19.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:54 pm

A group of us are thinking of doing a track day there next summer instead of going to the NCM museum. I don't like it; hoping we go to Road Atlanta instead. Significantly less Tilke at RA.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:21 pm

If you do that, you effectively eliminate two overtaking spots imo. (T11 is no longer a thing, and cars won't be able to follow through the sweeper into 'new' T8) That plan also eliminates half a dozen grandstands, not that I necessarily think IndyCar would fill them.

Speaking of, I wish they would do something with T16-18.... as is, they're the Achilles heel of the circuit - they're fast, but sort of easy flat, and they just screw up the approach to T19.
Not going to agree I suppose. I don't think the sweeper would an issue, it'll be less severe than 16-18, and you'd be slower out of the new 7 than 11. I also don't think you'll see much overtaking in 11.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:05 pm

Update Eight: September 6, 2018

Schmidt Peterson Motorsports driver Robert Wickens underwent surgeries this week at IU Health Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis to repair fractures to both of his legs and hands from injuries sustained in a crash during the INDYCAR event at Pocono Raceway on Aug. 19. The surgeries were completed without complication.

Wickens is expected to be transferred to a rehabilitation center in the coming days to begin the recovery process. The severity of the spinal cord injury he sustained in the incident remains indeterminate and under evaluation. Physicians stress it could take weeks or months for the full effects of the injury to be known.

“We want to thank everyone for the outpouring of love, prayers and positive energy that has been sent our way since Robert’s accident,” the Wickens family said in a statement. “We are blown away by the strength of this INDYCAR community and the support within it. While Robert’s recovery and rehabilitation continue over the coming weeks and months, your loving messages will certainly be a source of encouragement for him.

“As unverified sources immediately following Robert’s accident inaccurately and without permission portrayed his condition as less than severe, in an effort to remain transparent and open, we are providing a list of Robert’s injuries to truly showcase the severity of what our son / brother / fiancé / friend / teammate has gone through and will be recovering from in the months to come.”

Among the injuries Wickens sustained were:

Thoracic spinal fracture
Spinal cord injury
Neck fracture
Tibia and fibula fractures to both legs
Fractures in both hands
Fractured right forearm
Fractured elbow
Four fractured ribs
Pulmonary contusion

“The INDYCAR community has been nothing but supportive the last few weeks,” Ric Peterson and Sam Schmidt, co-owners of SPM, noted in a statement. “We are grateful for their support as well as the exceptional care given to Robert by the AMR INDYCAR Safety Team, the INDYCAR Medical Staff, the surgeons and nursing staff at Lehigh Valley Hospital – Cedar Crest and everyone at IU Health Methodist Hospital.

“While Robert continues his recovery, we want to make it clear that the No. 6 entry is for Robert Wickens and him only. No matter the amount of time it takes for his full recovery, we will hold that seat for him. Carlos Muñoz, the named driver for the last two events on the 2018 calendar is doing a great job for us to keep the No. 6 owner championship points alive, and we very much appreciate all the hard work he’s putting into helping us finish the season.

“The road to Robert’s recovery will be a long and tough one, but we hope you’ll be alongside us cheering him on. BETTER. STRONGER. FASTER.”

An update will be provided when Wickens has been transferred to his rehabilitation facility. Further updates will come from Wickens. Alongside the team, he will document his recovery process and share updates at appropriate times. SPM, the Wickens family and Robert ask everyone to respect their request for privacy at this time.