Leclerc and Sainz are on the cover of GQ this month. :lol:

meecrofilm

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby meecrofilm » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:46 pm

Death, taxes, Ferrari strategy....

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:19 pm

OK gents, Colton Herta and the FIA super-license system?

On one hand, it seems obvious Colton has as much talent as lance Stroll or Yuki, or any other mid-packer. I'm not sure I'd hire him if it were my team because he's got a habit of going brain dead every so often and throwing away a good result, but if Helmut wants to that's his problem.

I do think Indycar is unfairly structured below F2 in the SL system, especially when half the field has gone through most of the F1 ladder before their cash dried up, or actually did make it to F1 (and those former F1 drivers have to race "spec" cars over here). So yeah, the system blows...

On the other hand, you look at LIV vs PGA golf it's certainly within the PGA's right to restrict playing rights to guys who adhere to their system. I guess the difference there is history. Indycar and F1 have never really been rivals, and Indycar's purpose isn't to bite into F1 market share. Meanwhile LIV is just trying to capitalize on the work the PGA Tour has already done.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:35 pm

The FIA Superlicense is like the Michelin restaurant guide. It places supremacy over European standards and as a result foregoes most of what the rest of the world has to offer. There are regularly drivers on the Indycar grid that come from F1; how many F2 races have former F1 drivers? It's another example in the long sad line of stupid that is the FIA. They are so provincial. This is the same governing body that gave Max Verstappen a SL and ushered unto the world three years of Crash Musthappen teething pains. (Giving a 17-year old a SL isn't a talent thing imo, it's an emotional maturity thing)

I don't think the LIV-PGA comparison really carries, because as I understand it that's a commercial issue, not a talent judgment.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:40 pm

While we're at it............

Can we please do away with grid penalties for mechanical infractions? Using too many engine components, Jesus what are we even doing here. I was against the idea of such penalties when they were first introduced so many years ago, with drivers being docked more grid places there actually are. Things finally hit their pinnacle of stupid at Monza. One driver even tweeted out Saturday after quali, "Can someone please tell me where I'm starting the race tomorrow". There were I think even two drivers who had in fact been penalized that ended up starting higher up than their actual qualifying spots once all the penalties were handed out (or something like that).

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 12:56 pm

The FIA Superlicense is like the Michelin restaurant guide. It places supremacy over European standards and as a result foregoes most of what the rest of the world has to offer. There are regularly drivers on the Indycar grid that come from F1; how many F2 races have former F1 drivers? It's another example in the long sad line of stupid that is the FIA. They are so provincial. This is the same governing body that gave Max Verstappen a SL and ushered unto the world three years of Crash Musthappen teething pains. (Giving a 17-year old a SL isn't a talent thing imo, it's an emotional maturity thing)

I don't think the LIV-PGA comparison really carries, because as I understand it that's a commercial issue, not a talent judgment.
Right, but I'm not so sure the SL isn't designed more to keep rich kids funneling their money through F2 and F3 rather than coming from a non-FIA ladder series. I think there's plenty of commercial interest in the way its structured today.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:34 pm

I mean, Stroll's dad bought an entire team to give him a ride. The system doesn't have much credibility to be withholding anyone driver's SL on the grounds Herta is being cold-shouldered. I gather at at least part of his current 8-point shortfall is owing to schedule changes surrounding the pandemic; there were races in 2020 that were dropped from the schedule that he - along with everyone else - would've otherwise contested, so holding that against him seems really petty. The system was amended to cover off for this somewhat, but I still don't quite get how a guy with his level of experience can be deemed unqualified.

I don't particularly like Herta, but I will root for him jealously, as he is more or less a hometown guy.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 1:42 pm

I liked the stat that if you took the IndyCar Road Course championship standings instead he'd easily have enough points to qualify.

Gaucho

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Gaucho » Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:05 am

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:02 pm

Always a silly exercise, but based on the current rules how many World Champions would've been denied a Super License at the outset of their careers?

Obvi Max (the current rules are in place in part because of him) and Kimi (who had only contested like 30-odd car races of any sort by the time he signed with Sauber). But I don't think Button or Alonso would've qualified, either. Niki Lauda bought his first seat, so I don't think he'd have made the cut. Schuey bought his first ride, too, but I think through his sports car racing had probably earned enough XP to get a license.

I'm sure the list gets longer and sillier if you extend it to just 'race winners'. But then that last would include Pastor Maldonado, at which point all comparisons lose any shred of validity or weight.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:07 pm

Lauda worked his way up through Formula Vee, sports cars, and F3 before buying his F1 ride. The movie Rush picks up when they're competing in F3.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:09 pm

I do agree the gatekeeping is silly, and mean. You put up a barrier like that and then let assclowns like Marzipan smash into stuff every week without recourse. Great job keeping out the riff-raff.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:48 pm

Right, but I think Lauda would've fallen short of the 80% rule.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:23 pm

I attended SCCA Runoffs to cheer on some friends last weekend and it gave me the motivation to dust off my car and try to get some stuff done in the few remaining weeks of good weather for this year. If I can get the motor back in before I put everything in winter storage I'll be pretty excited.

Despite having it in the garage it got pretty dirty. When we had the roof replaced I forgot to put the car cover on the car. Because the garage has open joists with no ceiling the 40+ years of grime fell off and landed on everything when they were hammering. So despite having just painted the interior last year I went ahead and pressure-washed the entire car inside and out.

I have to say it's pretty gratifying to be taking parts out of their boxes and actually attaching them to the car. ;)

I'm having my Dad and Brother over for the weekend to knock off a list of odds and ends:

-Installing the thinned wiring harness, including mounting stuff like the rain light and kill switch.
-Fixing an issue I have with the oil pan baffle.
-Wrapping and installing the E36 headers that are required for SpecE46. I bought a set that has been media blasted and with all the weak points and unneeded holes welded closed.
-Reinstall the side windows w/the hardware I bought that deletes the motors making them permanently closed. This adds lightness and simplicity.

If I can get all that done on Saturday I'll be in pretty good shape. I'm off Monday because it's a federal holiday, so I want to spend that day refurbishing the transmission with new shift detents and some other upgrades.

By mid-November I want to get the motor into the car, before that I'd like/need to:

-Clean up the engine bay a bit by removing some unnecessary heat shielding and sound deadening.
-Install the race shifter onto the chassis so I don't have to do it with the transmission in the way.
-Finish putting the accessories on the motor; upgraded thermostat, PS pump, etc.
-Install the new lightweight flywheel and clutch onto the motor.
-Other odds and ends as I deem necessary.

I wish I had found this motivation months ago, but in fairness to myself, I was injured by this build and spent much of the summer on crutches. ;)

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:07 am

Installed the headers. Wrapped in titanium exhaust wrap. These are E36 headers that delete the catalytic converters. These particular ones were media blasted and had any excess holes welded shut for maximum efficiency. Used all new studs and nuts.

Reinstalled the side windows. We were able to delete the heavy and obtrusive window motors that opened and closed the windows. You can see the plate that is now riveted to the body. That's my little brother in the background.

We ran the wire harness and started plugging in components. I still need to cinch it in and secure it to the body but the hard part is done. We wanted to get it ran on the outside of the cage which was frustrating because the main line that runs down the passenger side missed the first cage downpipe so I had to redo it.

The rain light is mounted; it's pretty much an F1 car now.

Solid state battery isolator (kill switch) is installed. It weighs less than a cell phone and has no moving parts.

Before and after of the body harness; it ends up being something like 17 pounds lighter. The best money I spent on this car was having someone professionally depin and rewire this harness. The upgraded radiator fan, battery isolator, rain light, and heated windshield wiring are all already finished. The guy that does this work has a 50 question form you fill out so you can fully customize the harness. Awesome stuff.

We ran into an issue with the oil pickup tube. The replacement motor I ordered is from an AWD car and the oil pan is different. I didn't know the pickup tube was also different, it's only a difference of a few millimeters. So I have to either pony up $90 for a new one, or see if I can grab one at the salvage yard later today. Once I get that installed I'll finish refurbishing the transmission and work towards mating the transmission and motor together. I'm racing against the cold, trying to get this done by mid-November so I can mothball the car with the motor in it until spring.

MR25

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby MR25 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:25 pm

Apparently Red Bull has spent past the spending cap/whatever you want to call it.

The memes are good

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:45 pm

:lol:

Aston Martin, too, I think. One of these did their cheating much better than the other. If you cheat and still suck.............

Look........... I mean, it's motor racing; everyone cheats, I get it. But I also get really tired when teams cry when they're caught cheating; just so some mea culpa stuff and move along. No one cares, at least when it's not outright technical infringements.

That said, I also think the idea of a budget cap in Formula One is beyond stupid, and ranks up there with grid penalties for reliability issues on the list of things that would vie for my attention if the emperor-for-a-day thing ever played out for me.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:19 pm

Hang on a minute.......... I did not realize the penalty for exceeding the cap by +5% was exclusion from the World Championship.

This ruling is for 2021, right? And '22 has just effectively concluded, which means that money is spent, too.

#forza

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:25 pm

Shyster

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Shyster » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:48 pm

The rules are the rules, I suppose, but I fail to see why it makes sense for incidental costs like catering and transportation to count toward the cap. I mean, the salary cap in hockey doesn't include the Penguins' expenses for stick tape or Gatorade.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:49 pm

Hmmm, I wonder.

With the teams being so honest about cost accountability it would be perfectly okay to allow them to designate costs to whatever expenditure they want. Way easier than just having a cap. :lol:

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:52 pm

It's such an obvious thought there are some good memes out there about it:

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:04 pm

One of the problems they had years ago when I first remember them seriously talking about budget caps was the worry that these massive car manufacturers that were engine suppliers could hide F1 spend under the guise of 'R&D' as related to road car development.

"We spent €17 million developing a dual-rate suspension spring "

That's only useful at really high speeds. Is it on any of your road cars?

"I'll thank you to mind your business."

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:05 pm

And yes, generally only salaries are counted against a salary cap, and all costs are counted against a cost cap.