Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:47 pm

That's ok, I misremembered and it's on Sunday. Should be able to get the first run in and then skeedaddle.

shafnutz05

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:31 pm

Sooooo.... That F1 race today :shock:

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:41 pm

Race? What race? All I saw was a charade.

shafnutz05

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:49 pm

Race? What race? All I saw was a charade.
Yeah...that penalty was horsesht. **** Lewis Hamilton into the sun

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:37 am

I don't know. I think they had to make a call, because I know in years past shortcutting the chicane on the front stretch while defending was getting out of hand and they'd made it a point to crack down on it. Having said that, usually the penalty was giving up the position, which meant you still had a chance to earn it back. Either way, crappy to have the stewards become such a central part of the race.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 1:29 pm

This is one of those situations that, to me, has no really satisfying outcome.

1) No one in the crowd wants to see the person finishing first on track standing on the second step of the podium.

2) Der Seb had clearly lost control of the car into T3, so to me this isn't analogous to the rampant corner cutting at the final chicane that had gotten comically repetitive several years ago.

3) You can see Seb looking in his mirror as he regained the track, but I take him at his word that he didn't see Hammer. That said, you knew he was only 1s behind, so...... where else would he be?

4) Seb is a petulant man-brat with the mental toughness of a kindergartener.

I honestly don't quite get how someone of that degree of fragility can make it to the top tier of motor racing, never mind be a multiple World Champion. I guess when you get plonked in a car that you can get a 1s/lap advantage every time out for four years in a row, you don't have to worry about pressure. But I feel like when I ruminate on Vettel's career in the waning days of my life, the predominant image that will come to focus in my dusty mind's eye will be him repeatedly cracking under relatively modest pressure and losing races he should've won. Which is a terrible thing to have as a primary reference for someone of his accomplishments.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:13 pm

His legacy for me will always be summed up best by beaching it in Germany last year.

The dodint about he was in the grass and he's lucky he didn't hit the wall, and if Hamilton had gone to the other side is a joke to me. You're the one that lost control under minimal pressure. You put yourself there. You created the situation. He doesn't seem to realize it all revolves around his performance behind the wheel and thinks it was phantom occurrence that put him there.
Last edited by CBear3 on Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:19 pm

Yeah, I agree completely. It was his own unforced error that created the situation.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:27 pm

But I feel like when I ruminate on Vettel's career in the waning days of my life, the predominant image that will come to focus in my dusty mind's eye will be him repeatedly cracking under relatively modest pressure and losing races he should've won.
When people toss out ruminations like this I just assume they're forgetful of races like Brazil 2012 and I try not to hold it against them.

;)

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:35 pm

You mean the race where Michael Schumacher waved Vettel through to P6 at the end? Yes, what a stonking drive.

:P

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:44 pm

He had some stellar drives at TR and the early Red Bull days, back when little was expected of him. But it's like his run of title's with the best car in the field dulled his senses under pressure.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:48 pm

I think Ferrari being run by hapless Italians is what has dulled his career more than anything else.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:56 pm

Yeah, I don't doubt Vettel's innate talent. He scored pole and a race win in what was effectively a Minardi, for cryin' out loud. You don't whoopsie your way to that. But even as time went on after the move to the Grown Up Red Bull Team, he showed signs of cracking under pressure. And let's face it: Same situation with 2004 Michael Schumacher at the wheel of the Ferrari, is there any doubt he'd have found the 5s in those last 12 laps?

One of the things that has always been a weird cup of tea as a Ferrari fan is that the greatest period of extended achievement the team has enjoyed was directed by a Frenchman, an Englishman, a German, and a South African. For whatever reason, when they all peaced out Montezemolo deemed it a priority to Make Ferrari Italian Again, and pretty much ever since then it's been sort of a comedy of errors and missed opportunities.

Fire0nIce228

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Fire0nIce228 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:11 pm

I think it was the second shunt to the right after he had all 4 wheels on the track that got him the penalty. I know very easily the car could still have been out of his control, but it also could have been one of those accidentally on purpose things to me. I'm very new to F1 just kind of started paying attention last few races after watching that doc on Netflix. But I do think in that type of instance the 5s penalty seems tough. Hamilton would have made the pass and gotten a few seconds ahead if he hadnt been blocked though, but didnt seem like it would have been 5 full seconds.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:20 pm

I don't know if this behind the subscriber paywall, but Autosport has a pretty good summation of the thing.

How F1 boxed itself into Canada penalty own goal
The stewards did the right thing by the framework in which they operate, but F1 needs to give them more room for nuanced decisions because outcome does have to play a part in the ways these incidents are adjudicated.

So this one has to go down to systemic inflexibility and a bad case of ignoring the desire to 'let them race' - or rather of the structures in place not always allowing that to happen.

As Vettel himself put it: "it's not making our sport popular, these kinds of decisions".

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:36 pm

@dodint Are you using Harry’s laptimer and your phone, or what kind of setup?
I’ve got an older GoPro, but I’m wondering if phones these days are good enough and the data would automatically be superimposed anyways

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:49 pm

Harry's is a really nice one stop solution for sure. If I wanted to hit the easy button that would be it.

I use a GoPro Hero 4 and data collected from a Bluetooth OBDII reader using the Torque App. I marry it all together using RaceRender 3.

I don't move to Harry's because the plan is to use a proper data acquisition solution so I am going to eventually have to manually process it anyway. I already acquired a Race Technology DL-1 but I have not had time to install it yet.

Coincidentally I just uploaded my video from CMP a few minutes ago. I will post it when it's done processing so you can see what that output looks like.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:59 pm

Fire0nIce228

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Fire0nIce228 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:37 am

That off at 3:28 didn't seem too good for that guy..

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:29 am

The guy in the GTO? I have no idea what he was doing there. We weren't going particularly fast and he just drove right off. Maybe punched the accelerator and just understeered out after that weird early apex. I can't judge too much, I had some slight object fixation and followed him onto the rough curbing. That's also the same place on the track where I had my own spazzout moment at 14:30.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:10 am

@Cbear3

Not sure if you have your own numbers or not, but if you wanted to pick up a cheap quality set a guy I know named Scott sells them here: https://lousportinggoods.com/SCCA-TT-Nu ... hipped.htm

If you get your order in this week you should have no problem getting them by Friday. $12.50 for number/class and $8 shipping.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:36 pm

I'm actually thinking I'll buy white magnetic sheet, and making my own with my vinyl cutter here at home.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:38 pm

That's kind of what Scott does. He does silkscreening and stuff like that professionally, he just cuts vinyl on the side to pay for race tires.

I'm thinking about bumping up from Sport 4 to Tuner 4. Right now I'm the only one registered for Sport 4. I think I'd rather compete and be at the bottom end of T4 than just run by myself. I'm going to give it a few days before I decide, hopefully some folks will join. Down in Carolina we had 7 in the S4 field.

The downside is I don't have any Tuner mods I can bolt on just for that one event so I won't gain anything there. :thumbdown:

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:24 am

JCW update:
I'm de-JCW'ing it, lol. I've got a good supply of 205/50/15 tires from the old Lemons car, and it just so happens that's good setup to lower ride height half an inch and reduce gearing. But to do that, you have to go back to the original brake setup. So some junkyard calipers, a rebuild kit, and I had to replace rotors/pads anyways and we're ready to go. Not sure I'm going to get the camber plates installed, but there's still time.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:41 am

If you do take all the JCW stuff off and you're just a Cooper S you can edit your registration on the TTN site and class in T4 instead of T3. I'm still registered in S4 but I'm bumping up to T4 if nobody else signs up in S4.

TTN Tech procedure is driving through the registration area and showing that you have numbers and the sponsor decals in the right places. They only impound and inspect your car if someone protests. Obviously I'm not advocating that you cheat, but if you're worried about classing down because someone might check your VIN that's not really a thing.