CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:31 am

Salty Salami

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:44 am

@CBear3

Just going to put it out there. TTN Nationals at NCM registration opens on July 15th. Dakota really had a great time and Heartland and is hooked, so it looks like he and Tyler are going to try to make it out. My wife is opting out because of school. If I go I'm going to rent a garage to share with T and D, you're welcome to join in.

https://timetrials.scca.com/events/1992 ... by-hagerty

$350 plus transponder rental, my $50 off is valid for this event. It costs more because there is track time on Friday as well. There is also an announcement coming about some kind of thing happening Thursday, not sure if I'm doing all that.

Shyster

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Shyster » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:54 pm

I'm confident Honda will turn it around.
But this is not that same Honda. We're two-and-a-half decades on since Soichiro Honda's passing, and the racing culture he imbued within the company just isn't there today. The constructor entry they had in F1 about ten years ago is more indicative of the way I think this engine program will go.

MR25

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby MR25 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:06 pm

Is F1 that bad right now, in which the top 6 finish that far ahead of everyone else?

There's a 22 second gap from Verstappen to Hamilton (6th), then a full lap to 7th place at Austria this weekend.

Seems like a bad sport model imo

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:48 pm

Yes, it's bad.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:54 pm

I'm confident Honda will turn it around.
But this is not that same Honda. We're two-and-a-half decades on since Soichiro Honda's passing, and the racing culture he imbued within the company just isn't there today. The constructor entry they had in F1 about ten years ago is more indicative of the way I think this engine program will go.

Remember that one time Pastor Maldonado won a race? :wink:

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:31 pm

Finally got around to cobbling together my video. First part is the three segments that contributed to my cumulative time. Around 6:30 into the video it is just a collection of fun traffic and me ham-fisting my way through the wet.

Cbear3 is not depicted because he was in the Advanced group, like the boss that he is.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:48 pm

@CBear3

Just going to put it out there. TTN Nationals at NCM registration opens on July 15th. Dakota really had a great time and Heartland and is hooked, so it looks like he and Tyler are going to try to make it out. My wife is opting out because of school. If I go I'm going to rent a garage to share with T and D, you're welcome to join in.

https://timetrials.scca.com/events/1992 ... by-hagerty

$350 plus transponder rental, my $50 off is valid for this event. It costs more because there is track time on Friday as well. There is also an announcement coming about some kind of thing happening Thursday, not sure if I'm doing all that.
I don't think I'm going to make it this go-round. Disney fatigue on both my body and my wallet has me wanting to curl up into a corner and cry. Unless I find a B-spec donor before then, then all bets are off. Nothing like continually trying to pick a slower car. The cool thing is that most of the guys in B-Spec build them as bi-spoke BS and HP cars, and there's a lot of Spec Pinata guys in the area (comparatively) and I can buy their take-offs cheap.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:55 pm

If you want to go the other way with it I'm happy to car share the E46 with you. You're an Advanced driver, WCGW. I'm planning on replacing it as my DD before then, and it will be the last event for it before it gets caged, so if we ball it up it doesn't really matter. ;)

Come to think of it if you car shared with me and rode with Tyler (Murphy isn't coming) you could pretty much do it without having to put much thought or effort into it. ;)

The announcement ended up being the "Holley Day" on Thursday. It's an all day series of practice events. Car control clinics, vendor demos, one-on-one coaching, etc. It's starting to look like I'll be attending the extra day. It's included in the price, but the price bumped up $45 when they pushed registration back to next week.

Tyler and Dakota are definitely in. Dakota bought an old(er) Porsche Cayenne as his tow vehicle. It's the same color as his Camaro. Sooo frandilous...

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:02 pm

That's hilarious. After spending all day searching Raptors (which is also ironic to pull a Camaro with a Ford).

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:04 pm

Yeah, Tyler had a heavy influence on his decision. Raptors aside it was coming down to Tahoe's v. Cayenne and the Cayenne was significantly cheaper. I'm sure Tyler promised to fix it if it broke since Tyler constantly had to wrench on his 911 to keep it going.

B-Spec, eh? Something something...fun...slow car fast...etc.

Speaking of reveling in slow cars. The Chin track day crash has me second guessing my eagerness to get into a 400hp Corvette any time soon. Might be happy to just make the E46 faster for the next few years.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:09 pm

If you don't know the reference, check the video here, start around 9:20: https://streamable.com/rfcyd

The Mustang was track-day insured. The 911 was...not.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:21 pm

The airbags were a nice touch.

I didn't watch the whole video, but through the first maybe 2 minutes the Mustang driver was giving off the vibe of being the only driver who was going for time. Everyone else seemed to be of the I-could-have-done-this-on-the-country-road-by-my-house kind of mold.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:26 pm

Yeah. But he was doing it competently. Then he got blocked up by some traffic and the 911 got away from him. He went full red mist and just plainly didn't brake for the left hand. If you watch his brake points in the prior lap, and his brake point for the last one, he just plainly forgot. I've done it in simulators but never in real life. :lol:

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:10 pm

"He was doing it competently"

Right up to the bit where he slid off track and t-boned someone.

Don't get me wrong, I'm more put out by the Sunday drivers. Don't pay for a track day if you're going to lollygag about.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:19 pm

Right. What I'm trying to say is that particular driver is an Advanced level driver capable of putting down fast and consistent lap times. But he, on that last lap, let the externality of the 911 pulling away affect his judgement. This wasn't a bro that decided to send it and ended up going tits up.

My video on the last page, 4th post from the bottom, was the same exact scenario. I ran a full session of fast, competent laps. Then I thought it would be 'fun' to catch the M3 in front of me and I ended unintentionally sideways in the very first turn after I made that decision. But my 225hp car can only get so out of sorts so fast, so I saved it.

Lesson learned for both of us, but I wasn't in a GT-350. :lol:

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:24 pm

I don't know when it started, but I actually really like 'send it' as slang for overtaking.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:35 pm

I don't know when it started, but I actually really like 'send it' as slang for overtaking.
I first heard it with the snow mobile guy. But it's probably older. I've heard British slang along the lines of "he posted it" as in, he sent it with the same certainty as if he had sent it through the mail. And that was in a documentary of the 2015 24LM.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:24 pm

To shift gears completely...

A group of us are starting to form a Bonneville 2020 plan/team. Meeting up out at the salt flats and trying to set a class speed record in an old CRX built for that purpose:

We're looking at the viability of taking my '02 BMW 330Ci as a second car. It will be fully caged and safety prepped this winter. That way we can do license runs and get our drivers familiar with running on the salt before thrashing on the CRX. The licensing is done by speed, kind of like the Indy 500 rookie tests. You have to do passes at each license level before you're allowed to make runs in each higher speed bracket.

It's a long way away and we've just started planning.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:46 pm

Unrelated to above, but Rich Energy lost their court case in England and now need to divulge their financials. They have immediately dropped support for Haas F1. lulz.

Their announcement, in part:
"Today @rich_energy terminated our contract with @HaasF1Team for poor performance. We aim to beat @redbullracing & being behind @WilliamsRacing in Austria is unacceptable. The politics and PC attitude in @F1 is also inhibiting our business. We wish the team well #F1 #richenergy"
Full legal judgment: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0127/ ... 5.pdf?2319

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:15 pm

To shift gears completely...

A group of us are starting to form a Bonneville 2020 plan/team. Meeting up out at the salt flats and trying to set a class speed record in an old CRX built for that purpose:

We're looking at the viability of taking my '02 BMW 330Ci as a second car. It will be fully caged and safety prepped this winter. That way we can do license runs and get our drivers familiar with running on the salt before thrashing on the CRX. The licensing is done by speed, kind of like the Indy 500 rookie tests. You have to do passes at each license level before you're allowed to make runs in each higher speed bracket.

It's a long way away and we've just started planning.
That's something I have no intention of trying. Maybe I'll come watch.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:34 pm

It's not something that I would have come up with on my own but as a bucket list item it interests me, particularly with this group of people. I've read that running on the salt is like nothing else given the way you kind of float on the grains and I'd like to have the opportunity to take a crack at it at least once. Because we're pooling expertise and resources the cost to fun ratio should be pretty good.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:00 pm

Speaking of cost to fun (but not cost to horsepower), found a pretty little donor Cooper at the IAAI auction here in KC. So the B-Spec creation lives. Unfortunately, my plan to increase my vacation days did not come through, so I'm still out for NCM. The plan is to do the minimal suspension/brake upgrades as allowed by the rules this fall and then strip it and cage it for next season. In B-Spec it won't be hard to qualify for Runoffs at Road America (where I did my first racing school, ah nostalgia) for 2020, with the idea to actually be competitive by the time they go to Indy in 2021.