Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:49 pm

So the Dutch Grand Prix is coming back for next year. Might as well just call it the Verstappen Grand Prix.
I have no idea what they plan on doing to Zandvoort to get Grade 1 rating, but I'm sure it won't be nearly as fun once they complete the mods.

Shyster

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Shyster » Thu May 16, 2019 5:59 pm

I see a lot of comments saying that Zandvoort is too narrow and too twisty for passing with only one good passing zone at turn 1. I think I read that a widening of the track will be part of the upgrades, and I note that the Hungaroring only has one good passing zone at turn one (and a less-good zone at turn 2), and it's on the calendar every year. Personally I think it's sad that "passing" in F1 is basically nothing more than managing to stay close enough to be within DRS range on one of the straights that are set up on the newer tracks for that exact purpose.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 16, 2019 6:02 pm

Many moons ago, Zandvoort usually put on one of the better races of the year. But that was back in the days of primitive aero and 500 bhp cars.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Thu May 16, 2019 7:00 pm

I imagine this iteration will have less picket fencing

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:11 pm

Makes more sense here than in RIP........................

Niki Lauda passes away aged 70
The Austrian had been battling health issues since mid-last year, including a lung transplant in August that required a two-month stay in hospital.

He was then hospitalised again for a short period at the beginning of 2019 after contracting a flu infection.

There have been reports from Austrian press in the recent days that he's been receiving kidney dialysis in Switzerland.

It has now been confirmed that he has succumbed to his ill health, passing away on Monday surrounded by family.

shafnutz05

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 20, 2019 10:14 pm

Makes more sense here than in RIP........................

Niki Lauda passes away aged 70
The Austrian had been battling health issues since mid-last year, including a lung transplant in August that required a two-month stay in hospital.

He was then hospitalised again for a short period at the beginning of 2019 after contracting a flu infection.

There have been reports from Austrian press in the recent days that he's been receiving kidney dialysis in Switzerland.

It has now been confirmed that he has succumbed to his ill health, passing away on Monday surrounded by family.
I put it in there. What a damn legend. Honestly him making it to 70 was a success all things considered. RIP

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon May 20, 2019 10:55 pm

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 21, 2019 12:23 am

Honestly him making it to 70 was a success all things considered. RIP
70? Guy inhaled fire. That he saw 28 was incredible.

Even though he wasn't the hero of the film story, I'm still glad F1 1976 was eventually turned into a modestly successful movie. But for the fact that it actually happened, no one would believe you if you told them sorry blind.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:54 pm

Fact check me: Was Lauda the only team mate of Prost not called Ayrton Senna to ever beat him to a title?

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Thu May 23, 2019 11:09 pm

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:24 am

It's hilarious that we were all prepared after testing for this to be an incredible competitive year.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue May 28, 2019 12:35 pm

Had an amazing experience this weekend. Completely exceeded my expectations both on and off course. Exactly what I needed after a long semester.

It was hot, topping around 101F on Saturday and then some humidity rolled in Sunday. Carolina Motorsports Park is a notoriously abrasive track as well, the surface is pretty poor. Very slick, like running on marbles. We did a track walk on Friday and the entire surface is kind of like bubble wrap. Very different than PittRace.

Can say pretty confidently that I didn't know that unmanned flag station was there all weekend until just that moment. :lol:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue May 28, 2019 12:36 pm

That is really cool stuff.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 28, 2019 2:35 pm

Well caught! Activating the wipers was a nice touch.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue May 28, 2019 3:22 pm

@CBear3 are you still coming to Kansas? It's in three weeks. Registration is at https://timetrials.scca.com/events/1992 ... by-hagerty

I promote TTN events at TNiA events so I have a promo code I can give you. It will get you $50 off the entry fee, and if you use it I get $25 off my entry to Nationals in September. It is: TTANathanG2019

We're camping at the track on Fri/Sat, probably in the van. Depending on your level of prep we may be in the same class (Sport 4), MINI Cooper S's are in there but I don't know what all you've done to yours.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Tue May 28, 2019 3:54 pm

I got some work to do. Depends how far I get on things this weekend. In the worst case I should be able to make it a more lighthearted track cruise.
Trying to hock some old stuff to cover new pads and wheels.
Oh heck yeah, my SA2005 helmet is still good. I think I'll be in tuner 3, JCW and camber plates as Mini's have a rep for being horrible on tires.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue May 28, 2019 4:31 pm

My Dad, Uncle, and Wife came down with me to CMP and we setup a pretty large tent compound. A younger guy rolled up late on Friday and pitched his tent by himself under a tree about 30 yards away. Since nobody joined him we ended up inviting him over for some food and we all ended up spending the weekend hanging out. Coincidentally we were in the same run group and were running similar times so we gridded together as well.

He was in a 2007 Honda Civic with more than 200,000mi on it. He was running in Tuner 3 because he was told to use camber plates to help manage his tire wear. By the end of the weekend his brakes were vibrating pretty badly and that rough CMP track ate up his really soft tires. I felt bad for him, it was his first event like this and he was pretty dejected by how much the tires got tore up. I hope he comes back next year.

The offer to car share still stands, as always, if you still want to come out but can't get the JCW feeling right.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Tue May 28, 2019 5:17 pm

My Dad, Uncle, and Wife came down with me to CMP and we setup a pretty large tent compound. A younger guy rolled up late on Friday and pitched his tent by himself under a tree about 30 yards away. Since nobody joined him we ended up inviting him over for some food and we all ended up spending the weekend hanging out. Coincidentally we were in the same run group and were running similar times so we gridded together as well.

He was in a 2007 Honda Civic with more than 200,000mi on it. He was running in Tuner 3 because he was told to use camber plates to help manage his tire wear. By the end of the weekend his brakes were vibrating pretty badly and that rough CMP track ate up his really soft tires. I felt bad for him, it was his first event like this and he was pretty dejected by how much the tires got tore up. I hope he comes back next year.

The offer to car share still stands, as always, if you still want to come out but can't get the JCW feeling right.
That's gotta suck.
There's a darn good BMW (and others) shop up north of town in Liberty that I'm going to have give it a once over, and I'm stealing the Direzzas off the Lemons car.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Thu May 30, 2019 2:25 pm

Alright, so I just found out that my daughter's dance recital is that Saturday afternoon. So it looks likely I'll miss the timed sessions Saturday. I'll have to talk to the steward and make sure it's ok, but I'm still game (especially using your discount, booyah).

You don't have any need for stock E46 M3 wheels do you? I'm gonna clean them up and put them on craiglist /bimmerforum/etc next week.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Thu May 30, 2019 2:42 pm

They wont' care. You just won't have a time for Saturday and thus won't have a shot at a podium. The way they did it in CMP was they took the best time from either of the Saturday sessions, best TrackSprint run from Sunday morning, and best of either Sunday timed sessions. So you have three total times that make up your aggregate time.

I know the event organizer, if there is a way I can help you work something out I will.

Which ones?

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Thu May 30, 2019 3:53 pm

I was trying to find out the weight they might be; realized they're probably not 17" which is the size my spec series requires. So, thanks but no thanks.

My track wheels weigh 17.1lbs. My stock ones are heavy, though. And I have a matching set of 5 of them.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Thu May 30, 2019 5:37 pm

They wont' care. You just won't have a time for Saturday and thus won't have a shot at a podium. The way they did it in CMP was they took the best time from either of the Saturday sessions, best TrackSprint run from Sunday morning, and best of either Sunday timed sessions. So you have three total times that make up your aggregate time.
If they do it that way there's still a chance! I'll leave a bit after noon for the 2:00 show, and depending on how long it is can be back by 5:00. So if I'm in 3 or later I might get a time in. And the only way I'm getting a podium is if only three people are in the class, so I'm not really worried about it.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Fri May 31, 2019 3:04 pm

Was looking at the schedule. If you're in the Intermediate Group the group will be split into two run groups, so you have a chance of shifting to another group if you have to in order to make a time. Or seeing if you can drop down to Novice for just that session. At CMP we had four groups and they ran in this order: Advance, Inter 1, Inter 2, Novice. Looking at some of the muscle in the early registration list Kansas may be running Advanced 1, Advanced 2, Inter 1, Inter 2, Novice.

I think you have a shot at getting your lap in.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:36 pm

Bit the bullet, paid somebody to give the Cooper a once over and fix some nagging issues. Pads and rotors are ordered. Now that I've got the car back I can test fit the new wheels before getting the tires mounted.

Things are coming together.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:39 pm

I just ordered pads for my MINI about 10 minutes ago. WEIRD.

The guy that runs TTN owes me a favor now; I can call it in on your behalf to ensure you get a Saturday run. ;)