Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Sun Dec 25, 2022 12:15 pm

All forgiven, on this of all days.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:21 am

NBC's Motorsports youtube channel has daily Dakar recaps, about 20 minutes long. Pretty neat.
https://www.youtube.com/@MotorsportsonNBC

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:34 pm

With the discussion going on the NFL thread, my thoughts turned to the various racing incidents and mishaps I've seen and read about over the years. Yeah, motorsports offers a completely different mindset, at a sporting level, even today with the benefit of practices being dramatically revised following the televised deaths of the likes of Senna and Moore a generation ago. Granted, the risk of serious injury and death is a real factor in motor racing in a way that stick-and-ball sportsiticians would probably find appalling, but still.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:03 pm

I wrote and deleted a similar post in the NFL thread.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:24 pm

Ha, I was wondering what you and CBear and the other regulars here might have to say on the subject. Racing is racing, and is a very different thing, I guess.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:27 pm

I wanted to talk about Senna and how they didn't declare him dead until he was off the track premises so they could continue the race but I couldn't remember the details and didn't think it added much to the discussion anyway. I couldn't remember if that was a country law or an FIA mandate at the time.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:44 pm

Senna didn't actually die until several hours after the race was concluded; iirc the news was official at like 1 pm EST, so that would've been like 8 pm local time in Italy? Something like that.

In CART they didn't tell the drivers that Greg Moore had died, and then whoever the boss steward was back then decided to have the trackside flags lowered to half staff. So the drivers had to do like 400 miles of a 500-mile race passing those flags every lap. (A friend was there that day and she said it looked his car exploded moreso than crashed)

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:40 pm

Wheldon is probably the one that stands out as kind of comparable. In that the race was being stopped regardless because of the damage to the fence, and that there was no way to avoid knowing what happened. While they might not have all seen him lifeless, they all heard it from drivers who came to a rest near his car or in the car center.
Recently, the two tragedies at Pocono have a very real "the show must go on" feeling. Wickens's crash he was conscious and they hoped the damage was temporary, and with Justin the accident had such a freak nature that I don't think any of the drivers even considered it while they were in the cockpit.

One of the things I said last night though, was that I wouldn't be surprised if there were guys on the field who absolutely wanted to play that game. Waiting around for news, it's hard not to feel useless, helpless, and sink into a depression. Sometimes to cope people need to throw themselves into something and get a singular focus. It makes cancelling an even that much harder, because you know some of the witnesses will suffer from the cancellation. But on the other hand, there's so much more damage that can be done if guys play/race half heartedly.

As for Senna, if he were to die on the track the race would not have been allowed to resume because the Italian police would have required an immediate investigation. So while he was dead for all intents and purposes, they continue to perform life saving actions on him and not call the code to circumvent the law. He was pronounced dead about 4 hours after the crash, but after his heart stopped the first time (less than hour after impact) they needed to keep him "alive" for the race to finish, last rights to be administered, and try to get as much family to his side as possible.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:54 pm

Also, RIP Ken Block. Didn't expect to see that last night. Wasn't my cup of tea, but was certainly a great advocate for car culture.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:12 pm

CBear3's account of Senna post-crash is what I was referring to earlier. It doesn't necessarily factually clash with tif but the differing ways in which the situation is presented does.

Shyster

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Shyster » Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:59 pm

I was thinking along the same lines as others here have said. When I heard today that the game wouldn't be restarted this week, my first thought was, "But he didn't even die. In auto racing they don't necessarily even stop the race when someone dies (e.g. Senna, Greg Moore), and they certainly don't postpone a race weekend (e.g., Roland Ratzenberger, Gilles Villeneuve, Gonzalo Rodríguez, Jochen Rindt)." But I also agree that there's a very different mindset between auto racing and the ball-and-stick sports.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:46 pm

Yeah, it really just depends on the mindset of that particular field, as I think it should.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:13 am

As for Senna, if he were to die on the track the race would not have been allowed to resume because the Italian police would have required an immediate investigation. So while he was dead for all intents and purposes, they continue to perform life saving actions on him and not call the code to circumvent the law. He was pronounced dead about 4 hours after the crash, but after his heart stopped the first time (less than hour after impact) they needed to keep him "alive" for the race to finish, last rights to be administered, and try to get as much family to his side as possible.
Italian law on these matters is lol at the best of times, but is that accurate? It sounds sorta conspiracy-ish given all the events of that weekend.

Ratzenberger died at the track the day before (Bernie himself broke the news to the Simtek garage), and the meeting continued on; they even resumed the quali session following the re flag. I mean, I guess officially he was "DOA" at the hospital and I don't think any life saving actions were even attempted on him after arrival; he had multiple injuries that each individually would've been fatal. There was no hours long delay in pronouncing him dead, and all the Sunday track sessions (F1 and support races) happened as scheduled.

I still can't believe Newey and Head were criminally prosecuted for Senna's death. :face:

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:11 am

Andretti-Cadillac

Okay.................?

*sigh*

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:28 am

I was hoping for an open wheel Chevy Cruze.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:16 am

Impressed Andretti has gotten that $marketing$ commitment from GM. I'm obviously an Andretti homer, so it makes me happy.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jan 12, 2023 2:25 pm

Kid got thrown from his midget at the Chili Bowl last night. Open wheel dirt cars will always be amazing to watch, but a coffin to get in for me. Especially considering the miniscule rewards.
He apparently is going to be ok, can move his extremities, but they are monitoring a small brain bleed. Damn lucky he didn't get run over in the process too.

MR25

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby MR25 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:42 am

People who are into NHRA dragster stuff, I was watching a video from behind a car and had some questions:

Why are the chassis only like 2 feet wide (not including the tires)? Is it a "if we make the axle any wider it'll snap" kind of thing? Is it a "there's an inherent danger driving something only just as wide as the driver and that makes it exciting" deal? Aerodynamics for faster speed?

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Fri Jan 13, 2023 7:51 am

Aerodynamics, like you said, and it saves weight through less cage material.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Fri Jan 13, 2023 2:22 pm

Minimal frontal area

Shyster

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Shyster » Thu Feb 02, 2023 4:53 pm

Andretti-Cadillac makes a little more sense now that it's been announced that Ford will be coughing up the dough to put its name on Red Bull's engines.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:58 am

We had the big build weekend for the SpecE46. When the car came off the lift and settled onto the racing suspension it was the first time I felt like I own a real race car. My Dad, brother, and a great group of Pittsburgh area racers came out and we banged out our entire list. We even had time to hunt down the vacuum leak causing the crazy idle and get that patched up. I'll post a fun little video later but these are some shots from the weekend:

Baffled oversized power steering reservoir. The other solution is to change the cap to one with a fitting and route a line to a catch can mounted elsewhere. This is much cleaner, IMO:

Itty bitty springy committee:

Everything in the cockpit points to the drivers face, so we got creative and mounted the upper fire nozzle overhead. It should spray in my lap and chest without blinding my visor. I hope we never find out.

I took my smallest friend and had him install the fuel starve kit. I'm not confident I could get back there.

Notable Car Sighting: That is a JDM Cresta peeking in from outside.

Tyler being a doofus as always (for CBear)

Looking for blinker fluid filler cap:

Little brother installing the fuel test kit:

Dad was on rearend duty most of the weekend, taking out the subframe so we could upgrade the differential bushings. He had a blast hanging with the racers.

No more rental transponders.

New...everything, mostly.

I didn't realize when I took this picture that there was so much suspension drop the car was hung up on the jack blocks on the rear.

Next stop, the fabricator shop for some touch-ups and windshield installation.

I couldn't believe we actually finished everything on the list and had time to sort out the idle issue. There are some things I need to follow up on and correct but this was a really fantastic effort from these guys.

Under Hood
-Idle Control Valve
-MAF Sensor
-Brake Pressure Sensor
-Fuel Sample Kit Install
-Endurance secondary fuel pump
-Transponder

Steering
-Tie Rods
-Power Steering Overhaul
--New lines
--Upgraded Reservoir

Cooling System
-Radiator Mount Upgrade
-Coolant Hose/Fittings Upgrade

Front Suspension

Rear Suspension

Safety
-Fire System
-Preliminary Belting

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:46 am

Nicely done sir! Are you trekking to Ozarks this summer?

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:07 pm

Thanks.

Yessir. We're renting an RV for it. Tyler is running his Scion w/the Maserati motor and I'm co-driving a fully race prepped Phoenix C5Z (if I fit) or the SpecE46 shown above. Come on out.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Wed Feb 22, 2023 1:18 pm

Damn, and I'm going to be tooling around in a Mini...I may have to step up my game.
Also, WTH!? Where's the build thread on that one?