Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:45 pm

Hard to feel bad for Mercedes but race control blew it. There is a reason you have never seen that finish before, because it's not the process.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:11 pm

That was a complete joke. Full NASCAR/WWE style

Max is certainly deserving, but it’s hard to accept the guy who dominates the race lost it because the Race Director decided to make stuff up on the fly.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:24 pm

If anyone wants to ae the rulebook:
39) SAFETY CAR

If the clerk of the course considers it safe to do so, and the message "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW OVERTAKE" has been sent to all teams via the official messaging system, any cars that have been lapped by the leader will be required to pass the cars on the lead lap and the safety car.
This will only apply to cars that were lapped at the time they crossed the Line at the end of the lap during which they crossed the first Safety Car line for the second time after the safety car was deployed.

Having overtaken the cars on the lead lap and the safety car these cars should then proceed around the track at an appropriate speed, without overtaking, and make every effort to take up position at the back of the line of cars behind the safety car. Whilst they are overtaking, and in order to ensure this may be carried out safely, the cars on the lead lap must always stay on the racing line unless deviating from it is unavoidable. Unless the clerk of the course considers the presence of the safety car is still necessary, once the last lapped car has passed the leader the safety car will return to the pits at the end of the following lap.

If the clerk of the course considers track conditions are unsuitable for overtaking the message "OVERTAKING WILL NOT BE PERMITTED" will be sent to all teams via the official messaging system.
The cars were waived around and then the safety car immediately came in a few turns later. It's a clear misapplication of the safety car protocol. Mercedes strategized to the protocol and lost because of the race director's change.

I didn't always agree with Charlie Whiting, but this wouldn't have happened with him.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:19 am

The specifically quoted message in the rulebook, "LAPPED CARS MAY NOW OVERTAKE" was not displayed either, only that the lapped cars between Lewis and Max could overtake. I'd be surprised if Ferrari hadn't been approached by Mercedes to file a protest as well, because Sainz wasn't allowed to attack Max for second due to the whim of the Race Director.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:41 pm

Not just Ferrari, none of the other lapped cars could race. Haas finished the year pointless. (Which a sorta meta turn of phrase)

While I'm happy to see a new Champion crowned.......... what a complete s**t show. I sorta feel bad for Max because this verges into "World Champion*" sort of territory. Merc has lodged their protest, so we shall see what comes of it. The FIA isn't exactly famous for rebuking itself.

This on-board from Fernando kinda sums it up imo.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 3:47 pm

I haven't heard any claims of Crashgate skullduggery, but it was certainly a very conveniently-timed SC period for Max and RBR.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:48 pm

Yeah, it happened at the last possible moment and he spun by himself. Not saying there is a conspiracy, but if there was it would play out exactly like this.

Trip McNeely

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Trip McNeely » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:30 pm

Yeah, it happened at the last possible moment and he spun by himself. Not saying there is a conspiracy, but if there was it would play out exactly like this.
To be fair through, there’s zero reason for Latifi to spin.

1) he’s the son of a billionaire and doesn’t need the money
2) he races for Williams who uses Mercedes as an engine supplier. It’s not like an Tsunoda or Gasly did a loopty loop
3) he got pushed into the dirty part of the track moments earlier and isn’t the best driver so losing it at that turn isn’t weird

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:54 pm

Right. Which is why it would have to be part of a nutty conspiracy since it makes no logical sense.

Add the "slow" safety car to the list; if Lewis is to be believed. I was rooting for the car crane to break down. :lol:

Shyster

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Shyster » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:15 pm

Meh. I'm sick of Hamilton and Mercedes, and if Lewis is sad, he can just go home and polish his seven championship trophies. Mercedes has plenty of opportunity to come in and change tires, and they didn't because they decided to gamble on the race ending under yellow. Whoopsie, it didn't. Tough.

Verstappen in 2021 had 2 more wins than Hamilton, 5 more poles, 1 more podium, and led 652, laps to Hamilton's 297. I'd say the right guy won the championship.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:20 pm

Hey, Shyster is human. He chose an unjust outcome via clear procedural violation because of fandom. Neat.

Shyster

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Shyster » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:30 pm

Hey, it's a sport, not a legal proceeding. ;)

While I like Verstappen, I think my fandom is more "Not Mercedes" than "Yay Verstappen." No one likes someone who wins too much.

I'd also advise Mercedes to remember that F1 is now owned by an American company, and if there's a lesson to be learned from American auto racing, it's "Don't let the rules get in the way of The Show." There's no flaming way in hell that NASCAR, for example, would let a championship be decided under a race-ending caution, rules be damned.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:33 pm

NASCAR is up-front about their contrived events, though. F1 holds itself out as the pinnacle of motorsport. And a single off-track official orchestrated a faux-championship because he thought it would be a good show. Yuck.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:42 pm

If Masi let all 8 back markers unlap themselves I don't think anyone would be talking. The fact that all he did was clear a path for Max is kinda gross.

Tomas

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Tomas » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:36 pm

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:59 pm

I've watched a number of 'react' videos re the F1 finale, and it has not helped me sort things out.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:01 pm

As time has passed, there is still no way to explain it it to me in a way that would make me believe it's kosher.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:30 pm

Yeah, it's cut and dry. The only thing left is what they do to address it.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:13 pm

In the immediate aftermath, I was a little wishy washy as to whether or not this was World Champion* territory. As more and more water gets under the bridge I'm coming to realize they are flood waters and it very much is World Champion* territory. It's not Max's fault like Senna or Schumacher shenanigans, but it's ugly.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:57 pm

You know how I have my Letang thing here at this board? I have something similar going at another community about Max. I was prepared to eat a mighty **** sandwich if he won. Because of the off-track intervention that enabled him to win I felt disgusted in the moment. Now I just don't care. That was the only F1 race I watched this year, because the wife and I wanted to see Kimi's farewell.

Why in the hell would I watch next year if the on-track performance doesn't matter? At least F1 can't look down on the rest of the racing world anymore.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:07 pm

Precisely.
Although I’m kind of disappointed your wife’s love affair with #2 drivers may be coming to an end :lol:

shafnutz05

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:42 pm

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:15 pm

He signed a deal to be sponsored by LGB Coin, a crypto currency named after the Let's Go Brandon chant.

Hope he and his team are out of the sport before the season ends.
Brandon Brown and NASCAR's denial of sponsorship based on 'Let's go, Brandon' chant, explained

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:31 pm

Threadfail.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:33 pm

Or is it a superb win for moving the discussion to the relevant thread? *victory lap*