Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:59 pm

Did not see this earlier, but this is pretty much where I net out.

Ferrari want a Mercedes ban, but not on the zero pods

As I see more pics from different angles the zero pod thing actually looks kinda cool.

Shyster

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Shyster » Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:52 am

If anyone other that the usual suspects is interested, the Fantasy Formula 1 league is setting up this week. See the thread in the Fantasy Sports forum for the rules. It's basically a set-and-forget process that requires nothing beyond picking a team.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:21 pm

But not a tiebreaker race. Don't pick a tiebreaker race.

shafnutz05

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:43 pm

For Christmas, my wife got her Dad and I the Pocono driving experience. 10 laps in a stock car, plus a 3 lap ride along prior, and a video package. She's awesome, and I'm pretty excited. It's through this outfit:

https://877stockcar.com/

The website sounds sketchy but it's legit. :lol: Pocono is a unique track, should be fun to drive around.

Already pumped for Turn 2. :)

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:44 am

Very cool, I've wanted to to get something very similar for my Dad. Let us know how you liked it.

Trip McNeely

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:19 am

Pretty excited about today. Ferrari in pole plus Ferrari engined cars look pretty good too in Haas and Alfa. Can’t imagine Mercedes is gonna struggle too long but it seems like the are this weekend. And RB looks really strong

willeyeam

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby willeyeam » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:21 am

The announcer said a car had the attributes of a hippopotamus on a water slide. No idea what he meant but I'm into this race now

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:22 pm

For Christmas, my wife got her Dad and I the Pocono driving experience. 10 laps in a stock car, plus a 3 lap ride along prior, and a video package. She's awesome, and I'm pretty excited. It's through this outfit:

https://877stockcar.com/

The website sounds sketchy but it's legit. :lol: Pocono is a unique track, should be fun to drive around.

Already pumped for Turn 2. :)
These are such a blast, I hope you have fun.

Trip McNeely

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:57 pm

Pretty excited about today. Ferrari in pole plus Ferrari engined cars look pretty good too in Haas and Alfa. Can’t imagine Mercedes is gonna struggle too long but it seems like the are this weekend. And RB looks really strong
Perfect start for Ferrari. Love it.

While I rooted for RB to best Mercedes last year purely because I was sick of Mercedes winning, both Verstappen and Horner are enemy number 1 for me this year. Horner is the worst and Verstappen is not rootable now once he has his championship. And Horner and Helmut Marko were so cocky in the preseason so I’m hoping they have reliability problems all year long

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:58 pm

Horner doesn't bug me nearly as much as Wolff. Can't quite explain it.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:59 pm

Pretty excited to see Zak Brown take McLaren to the back of the grid. Hoping it will facilitate his expulsion so I can go back to rooting for them.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:02 pm

On that note...

Shyster

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Shyster » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:29 pm

Musings after race 1:

Haas does look better, although they better be, considering they didn't develop their 2021 car at all in order to focus on 2022. Glad to see them doing well (especially has I have both drivers in fantasy F1).

Aston Martin and McLaren seem to have missed the target. They should have the resources to recover, if they also have the talent. Hope Vettel gets over the 'rona for the next race.

Mercedes also missed the target, albeit by much less. The 2022 car is apparently still porpoising too much, which means Mercedes has the raise the ride height and therefore lose downforce. Mercedes definitely has the resources to recover, and I'd expect them to get better. Not sorry in the slightest to see them struggling, however.

Ferrari's 2022 car has nailed the target. And based on the performance from Haas and Bottas in the Alfa, the Ferrari engine can't be holding anyone back, either. It's been a while since we saw Ferrari this dominant. Lets see if it lasts.

Red Bull is right in there, if they can fix the reliability problems that DNFed three of the four no-longer-Honda-powered cars in the field.

Alpine looks meh. Just like last year. And every year.

It looks like the Big Three are still the ones to beat, but if Aston and McLaren can get better, I think the "best of the rest" competition could be wide open, with Haas right in there as well. The new cars do look like passing is less of an issue.

Trip McNeely

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:33 am

On point Shyster

One thing about Mclaren: I think Daniel Ricciardo might be past his prime. I know he go that win at Monza last year but he is clearly inferior to Norris

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:47 am

Interestingly, Mercedes is basically the best of the rest. They weren't much of a threat to either Ferrari or RBR, until Max's retirement and Perez stepped on his own junk.

The testing in Spain made it appear that McLaren and Aston were not nearly this far off the pace, so I wonder if once we leave Bahrain their fortunes will improve due to track specific qualities. The battle for those last four points paying positions should be very entertaining even if they don't come to form. Haas, Alfa, & Alpha were all intermixed, along with the blah Alpine (thank you FIA for changing to give points all the way to 10th all those years ago).

I agree with Trip, much like Vettel and Alonso, Daniel is noticeably on the back side of his career. He never had the talent to match them, and it doesn't appear he's going to hold onto his mediocrity longer either. Reminds me a lot of Hinchcliff here in Indycar; great guy who is probably seeing a few extra green flags than his talent deserves simply because of his personality.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:49 am

I think Merc makes up a lot of ground and will be a threat for podiums very soon. They do development better than anyone. It seems like if they figure out the porpoising issue they probably have a rocket under them.

I also assume Max will get frustrated quickly and start grenading Ferraris shortly which will allow Merc to grab some valuable points while they continue to develop.

Trip McNeely

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:34 am

I think Merc makes up a lot of ground and will be a threat for podiums very soon. They do development better than anyone. It seems like if they figure out the porpoising issue they probably have a rocket under them.

I also assume Max will get frustrated quickly and start grenading Ferraris shortly which will allow Merc to grab some valuable points while they continue to develop.
Yea Max is gonna really start dodinting and then start taking out Leclerc if he’s not winning.

And yea I agree, Mercedes will have a rocket soon. Ferrari will need to gain a substantial lead early if they are gonna be in the running later in the season

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:07 am

Ferrari hasn't shown any tenacity or facility for using their fantastically expensive resources to do anything useful with their cars in 15 years,
they are the racing equivalent of the Monty Python doctors who want the machine that goes *bing!*. So my optimism......... isn't. But I agree that their biggest short term threat is Max's temperament.

Not-Honda needs to sort themselves out in a jiff. Three engine-related DNFs are a bad look generally, more so when two of them are within miles of the flag and one of those cars has #1 on the nose. But let's not forget it wasn't just the engine issue with Max, although I don't know if power unit failure could cause steering problems.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 22, 2022 11:21 am

I skipped F1 last year so my knowledge is/was a little rusty. I thought Ferrari had turned a corner, and then when the coverage started this week I saw Mattia Binotto is still leading the team. Not good. Gives their success a lipstick on a pig feel, for now.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:04 pm

Ferrari hasn't shown any tenacity or facility for using their fantastically expensive resources to do anything useful with their cars in 15 years,
they are the racing equivalent of the Monty Python doctors who want the machine that goes *bing!*. So my optimism......... isn't. But I agree that their biggest short term threat is Max's temperament.

Not-Honda needs to sort themselves out in a jiff. Three engine-related DNFs are a bad look generally, more so when two of them are within miles of the flag and one of those cars has #1 on the nose. But let's not forget it wasn't just the engine issue with Max, although I don't know if power unit failure could cause steering problems.
Apparently they're blaming the steering on an incorrect release from the last pit stop. That the car came off the front jack weird and actually bent the steering arm so it was rubbing/binding in spots.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:22 pm

I was wondering about that. Both RBRs made late stops (I wasn't sure at first if they were actually chasing positions or just looking for the fast lap point), and then both cars went tits up right after getting back up to racing speed. I thought that was curious timing, considering it was a Not-Honda engine failure that caused the caution in the first place. It was essentially three Not-Honda engine failures in about as many laps of green flag racing.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:10 pm

The FIA stands firm against war in Ukraine! But we'll race in the middle of the Yemen-SA war.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:23 pm

Russia is broke. The Saudis...not so much.

Trip McNeely

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Trip McNeely » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:29 pm

Lewis did not qualify for Q2 for the first time in like a decade. Half second behind Russell who wasn’t great either. This no pod design might have really been a big time mistake by Mercedes

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:26 am

Nigel Mansell Is selling his Racing Car Collection: https://classiccarcuration.co.uk/nigel- ... ollection/