Oh, Vegas...............

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:35 am

The course runs through a parking lot, again. :lol:

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:51 pm

They've reimagined the Singapore Sling, so that'll be a hoot. Braking from 230 mph in DRS+draft into a triple apex chicane on city streets, sign me up for that visual.

Not sure how the pit complex will be implemented. (Also not sure about the proximity of that bit to LAS) The first sector looks like it runs under the windows of half a dozen apartment/condo complexes, so that's fun. Oh, and it runs through the busiest part of The Strip on a Saturday night, wooohoo!!

Back in the days of Crapwagon.com I did a fantasy track layout about half a mile NE of this location, around the con ctr. I like my track better.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:55 pm

Also, I think the GMap image data might be old or at least not representative of what the track will be next year. The bits that look like car parks now are actually construction sites......... but that would be a hoot, for strategic nostalgia purposes. :lol:

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:42 pm

I wonder. If Senna hadn't died would he have been an insufferable hanger-on like Alonso or if he would've peaced out on top like Rosberg?

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:36 pm

Hanger on. Rosberg got out because he knew there wasn’t a chance of beating Lewis again. Senna meanwhile died pulling an Alonso, jumping ship to the team that had a great car last year only for them to step on their junk.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:41 pm

Yeah, that adjustable suspension contraption is what made me think of the question.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:24 am

Although it's interesting, because I think there's little doubt Senna was more talented than Hill, and Damon was still only a point away from the title (although it took multiple DQ's for that to happen).
Todt tried to get him to Ferrari for '95, and judging by his race-by-race deal with Ron Dennis in 93 I could see him jumping ship. The more I think about it the more inclined I am to believe that he would have absolutely Alonso'ed his remaining career.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:13 pm

Senna flat out resented the fact that lesser beings were becoming regular race winners and even champions in 'trick' cars with all the whizbangs. He committed to Williams - and had an agreement in principal with Frank - as early as '92, but he ultimately got vetoed by Prost for '93 who was like "I just did 2 years with that maniac, I'm full-up on crazy, thankyouverymuch."

Remember also the context of the time at McLaren specifically: They didn't have engines. (I might be a bit hazy on the timeline, but I think Macca entered calendar '93 without an engine deal.) After securing the customer Ford deal there was only enough money to pay Senna for 5 races and after that finances were a big question mark, that's how that (in)famous race-by-race deal came to be. So he wasn't just looking for competitive balancing the scales between himself and mere mortals, he wanted an actual for real racing car complete with motors and s**t.

Which in part led to one of my all-time most favorite moments in my life as a racing fan:

*sigh*

While I can certainly see some of Senna's points re driving aids, that doesn't account for the fact that Mansell was 20 mph faster through Copse at Silverstone than his teammate; it wasn't just aids, other drivers were very good, too. But still, they levelled a playing field that Senna very much believed should've been tilted towards him because he was simply a better driver, and he was being denied n the stage to demonstrate it.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 12:14 pm

Senna would not have been a hanger on.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:14 pm

I very much enjoyed the changes to Albert Park. It was also really good to see the circus back in Oz, as I recall Melbourne was the first major international sporting event to be COVID cancelled signaling the end of the Before Times.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:22 pm

Didn't get to see Australia, although it sounds like I didn't miss a whole lot realistically.
Meanwhile, I neglected to remind you that both Senna and Alonso had little temper tantrums that brought them to this side of the pond to hop in an Indycar because they weren't getting what they wanted in Europe. :pop:

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:26 pm

I stopped watching F1 midway through 2020. The wife and I started watching Drive To Survive not realizing we were two seasons behind. So we just got to the RoGro Man Walking Out of Fire incident and it was the first time I saw it.
I'll never figure out how he lasted in there for 2:43. The only thing I can figure is that the fire was mostly on top and he was under it. Very different than the Niki Lauda incident.
Oh, and that's not even considering how the **** he got through the barrier unscathed in the first place.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:35 pm

RoGro was not on fire for 2:43. He got out of the car and had hopped the barrier by around :30s.

The egregious and sensationalistic editing of that incident to make it look far longer than it was is why I quit watching DTS, and is partly why teams and drivers are now refusing to participate with the show further.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:40 pm

Maybe the 2:43 was the time between the incident and when he was shown alive on the broadcast. That's how I recall it being presented in the show, it was his wife that threw out the number.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:45 pm

Didn't get to see Australia, although it sounds like I didn't miss a whole lot realistically.
Meanwhile, I neglected to remind you that both Senna and Alonso had little temper tantrums that brought them to this side of the pond to hop in an Indycar because they weren't getting what they wanted in Europe. :pop:
Boss, did you not see the photo I posted? It's Senna in the Penske from his test at Firebird. 8-) Alonso has been in the sunset of his career for 5 or 6 years now; Senna never got there.

Had Senna crossed, the 1993 IndyCar grid would've had 4 former/current WDCs to F1's one.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:08 pm

Boss, did you not see the photo I posted? It's Senna in the Penske from his test at Firebird. 8-) Alonso has been in the sunset of his career for 5 or 6 years now; Senna never got there.

Had Senna crossed, the 1993 IndyCar grid would've had 4 former/current WDCs to F1's one.
I did, but I just wanted to remind you of the parallels. The only thing that would have stopped him from Alonso-into his career was the work he was starting to do in Brazil as a humanitarian.
He thought he was a God among men in the car, I don’t see him accepting that his skills would diminish with age.

Shyster

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Shyster » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:01 pm

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Fri May 06, 2022 7:42 pm

Miami looks bad. Like an autocross with walls.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon May 09, 2022 1:20 pm

Temporary street circuits can be fun. Purpose-built temporary street circuits are usually stupid. Miami is more Valencia than Baku.

That triple-apex nonsense leading onto the back straight, wtf. I'm also not a fan of the way the pit exit feeds sort of directly on to the racing line for T2 without much opportunity for approaching traffic to see exiting cars.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon May 09, 2022 9:19 pm

Shyster

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Shyster » Mon May 09, 2022 9:37 pm

I want to say I read that certain parts of the Miami track were specifically designed to be "mistake inducing."

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon May 23, 2022 9:23 am

I was fortunate enough to contribute to winning the first-ever SCCA Enduro race in E3 class this weekend. It was my first time being on track at Nelson Ledges and my first time back in a car since August. Was fun to knock the rust off. I had our fastest lap and our lowest average lap time, which is fortunate because I'm not much of a mechanic so it's the least I can do to be fast in the car.

We had mechanical issues the second day (each day is a complete 8hr race) and did not finish the last hour. The wheel studs on the left front kept backing out and we couldn't get them seated. We were far enough ahead to retain second place in that race, though.

I went to SCCA road racing driver school last August. I was supposed to race three events before being signed off on my Full Competition License. But given my performance at this event (clean racing, no incidents, high level of awareness, and class win) they waivered the rest of my experience requirement and granted my Full Competition License. So it was a very productive weekend for me on a personal level.

Enduro is SCCAs attempt to enter the LeMons/ChampCar space. Unfortunately, the track was only available during the ChampCar Watkins Glen weekend and it made for a small field for us. It was still a great deal of fun and I hope it grows. This year, there are three more (VIR, Buttonwillow, and Houston).

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon May 23, 2022 9:47 am

Way to go dodint! Knocking out the Comp License requirement is a big deal!

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon May 23, 2022 10:03 am

Thanks. The waiver was certainly unexpected, but I'm happy to have earned it. The team did almost 300 laps on Saturday. I personally drove the equivalent of 5 regional Sunday races over the weekend. We had to fight to get this event to count as 1 race weekend, let alone 3, for license purposes so it was a real nice perk to get waivered into my Full Comp.