Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:35 pm

You get to remove the vents/hoses in T3?
I can take the A/C compressor off but that's about it.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:45 pm

GCR 9.1.9.2.3.b.1.
The factory and/or aftermarket air conditioning and heating system may be removed, provided
that at least the following items associated with the system are also removed: compressor,
condenser. All duct work, vents, wiring, Freon lines, valves, evaporators, dryers, and dash
controls may remain. If the air conditioning compressor is an integral part of the drive system,
the compressor
T3 is where the SE46 will live, but I can't deviate from the SE46 ruleset and run under the lower SE46 running weight until the build is complete, unfortunately. For SE46 I can run at 2850lbs, for SCCA T3 it's closer to 3100lbs. So I'm keeping some stuff like my e-brake, big battery, rear window glass, etc until I can finish the SE46 build. I was going to build for ITR but the running weight was more than my factory curb weight, would have taken about 450lbs of ballast. :lol:

Not sure if you saw my last post about Indy, etc. We posted at the same time and you got meow'd.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:53 pm

I enjoy your in-car videos, because you've got the full Jean Alesi head tilt thing going on.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:58 pm

Yeah. :lol:

That car didn't have a harness, which makes it worse. The race car has a halo seat so enjoy it while you can. ;)

I was supposed to run with a helmet cam but I put the sticky mount too far down on the helmet and it was out of the adjustment range of the mount; I couldn't make it level. So I went with my floppy headrest mount and then used anti-shake to fix the videos.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:02 pm

I imagine part of it is your c/g is so much higher than a normal person's. :wink:

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:39 pm

GCR 9.1.9.2.3.b.1.
The factory and/or aftermarket air conditioning and heating system may be removed, provided
that at least the following items associated with the system are also removed: compressor,
condenser. All duct work, vents, wiring, Freon lines, valves, evaporators, dryers, and dash
controls may remain. If the air conditioning compressor is an integral part of the drive system,
the compressor
T3 is where the SE46 will live, but I can't deviate from the SE46 ruleset and run under the lower SE46 running weight until the build is complete, unfortunately. For SE46 I can run at 2850lbs, for SCCA T3 it's closer to 3100lbs. So I'm keeping some stuff like my e-brake, big battery, rear window glass, etc until I can finish the SE46 build. I was going to build for ITR but the running weight was more than my factory curb weight, would have taken about 450lbs of ballast. :lol:

Not sure if you saw my last post about Indy, etc. We posted at the same time and you got meow'd.
The whole point was to go to Indy this year, but I don't think I'm going to be able to make that happen $$$. Need to get the bank account righted before I wind up under water. If I was smart, I would have done what you're doing and just cage it and get on track before adding go fast bits. Live and learn. I'm sure it won't be the last time they're at Indy (it sounds like Indy loves the SCCA $$$)

VIR Runoffs 2019 were pretty fun to watch, and didn't you work it?

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:12 pm

Yeah, I worked sound and it was a blast. We had enough sounders that I could walk around and watch the races, include that epic T3 race between Chad's SE46 and Mast's Mustang. No homerism, it really was an exceptional battle. I passed on working Road America in 2020 and will not be working 2021. The experienced sound guys I work with admit that they're treated as complete afterthoughts at Indy and are in a bad spot. For as huge as that place is somehow it's cramped and uncomfortable.

I can't embed it here, but the video of that T3 race is worth watching if you can put it on in the background or something:
http://www.scca.com/u/4uoby

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:23 pm

Spaghetti is almost finished, down to one connector I have to pull out of the rear bumper. Should have the full harness out tomorrow so I can ship it off to the harness guy for depinning and customization.

Sound deadening comes out on Saturday. Going to try the dry ice method, followed by the heat gun.

tifosi77

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:36 pm

I somehow missed the news that the organizers of the Aussie GP are reprofiling the Albert Part circuit ahead of this year's even in November.

In case anyone is curious, I approve. The bucket list for me is Spa, Monza, and Monaco. But the next tier of I-really-want-to-go-to-there includes Melbourne, Montreal, Singapore, and Baku.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:57 pm

Spaghetti is almost finished, down to one connector I have to pull out of the rear bumper. Should have the full harness out tomorrow so I can ship it off to the harness guy for depinning and customization.

Sound deadening comes out on Saturday. Going to try the dry ice method, followed by the heat gun.
We used a crap ton of dry ice on the RX7. I think we even had success with a power chisel or that instead of just a BFH (although the BFH is certainly enough).

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:08 pm

I picked up 40lbs of dry ice and 8 big bottles of alcohol today. Not planning to use power tools.

I did see a cool video of an E36. The guy let the dry ice bed in for about 20 minutes, then used a jack under the car to gently flex the body. The material popped right up with minimal prying.

I suspect the dry ice will work well for the horizontal parts, but not the trans tunnel nor the bulkhead by the gas tank under the rear seats.

Trip McNeely

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:49 pm

I somehow missed the news that the organizers of the Aussie GP are reprofiling the Albert Part circuit ahead of this year's even in November.

In case anyone is curious, I approve. The bucket list for me is Spa, Monza, and Monaco. But the next tier of I-really-want-to-go-to-there includes Melbourne, Montreal, Singapore, and Baku.

Trip McNeely

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:50 pm

Pretty much same with me. Other than instead of Singapore I might want to go to Silverstone

Spa is in the middle of nowhere it seems but I still definitely want to go

MR25

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby MR25 » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:56 pm

Ah nice, they got rid of that awkward chicane.

Trip McNeely

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:14 pm

Ah nice, they got rid of that awkward chicane.
Yea I think there is gonna be more passing opportunities. I think they widened some of the corners too

Edit: looking closer at the map, yea, they did widen multiple corners

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:39 pm

I picked up 40lbs of dry ice and 8 big bottles of alcohol today. Not planning to use power tools.

I did see a cool video of an E36. The guy let the dry ice bed in for about 20 minutes, then used a jack under the car to gently flex the body. The material popped right up with minimal prying.

I suspect the dry ice will work well for the horizontal parts, but not the trans tunnel nor the bulkhead by the gas tank under the rear seats.
Try putting the dry ice in large Ziploc freezer bags or that to get it straddle the tranny tunnel or that.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:53 am

This is as far as we got after about three hours:

Turns out the dry ice isn't very effective. 2.5hrs into I thought "gee, wonder what the heat gun does" and it turns out it take it right off with little to no effort. The heat gun leaves more adhesive residue behind, but it gets 100% of the surface area off. Whereas the dry ice leaves that granular sandpaper looking remnants of the actual deadening material behind.

Big waste of money and time trying the dry ice. Lesson learned.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:44 pm

Hmm, well at least you made some headway.

CBear3

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby CBear3 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:16 pm

I got about halfway in replacing the blower on the street Cooper this weekend:

shafnutz05

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:40 am

@dodint

Have you ever watched any of these? This one had me in absolute stitches.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:00 am

Yeah, :lol:

At first I thought it was going to be that guy that does the 'races' with matchbox cars on his inclined treadmill. That was funny for about 45 seconds.

shafnutz05

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:16 am

Yeah, :lol:

At first I thought it was going to be that guy that does the 'races' with matchbox cars on his inclined treadmill. That was funny for about 45 seconds.
That shot of them flying over the first hill gets me every time. And Jack freakin Sprague pulls out the W.

shafnutz05

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:17 am

On a side note, I used to have a boxed copy of Papyrus NR2003. I lost it at some point, of course not realizing the treasure I held.

dodint

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby dodint » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:25 am

My first real exposure to NASCAR, somewhat ironically, was when I moved to PA in '93. I had an Aunt/Uncle who used to be really into it, they'd take me to Pocono for my birthday. My aunt was also into computers and got me a copy of the original NASCAR Racing by Papyrus, the one with the Ned Jarrett voiceover intro.

You might know already but the co-founder of Papyrus went on to start iRacing with the NR2003 source code.

shafnutz05

Motorsports (non-NASCAR)

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:29 am

My first real exposure to NASCAR, somewhat ironically, was when I moved to PA in '93. I had an Aunt/Uncle who used to be really into it, they'd take me to Pocono for my birthday. My aunt was also into computers and got me a copy of the original NASCAR Racing by Papyrus, the one with the Ned Jarrett voiceover intro.

You might know already but the co-founder of Papyrus went on to start iRacing with the NR2003 source code.
That's awesome :thumb:

Yup, I knew they were related but did not know it was the same guy.