Music Thread

shafnutz05

Music Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:10 pm

Happy Tortured Poets Department: The Anthology day.
IMO, this whole “I wrote tortured poetry” bit is absolutely insufferable.
Reviews are pretty mediocre, outside of the inexplicably fawning review in Rolling Stone. The nonstop angst theme is definitely growing old.

Gaucho

Music Thread

Postby Gaucho » Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:42 pm

Released April 19, 1994.

RonnieFranchise

Music Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:40 pm

Reviews are pretty mediocre, outside of the inexplicably fawning review in Rolling Stone. The nonstop angst theme is definitely growing old.
Know who loves it? 16 year old girls who buy music. All songs already fully analyzed here chez Franchise..

nocera

Music Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:48 pm

Know who loves it? 16 year old girls who buy music. All songs already fully analyzed here chez Franchise..
It has 84 on metacritic at the moment.

faftorial

Music Thread

Postby faftorial » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:03 pm

Yep.

Are you getting a copy of all six differently colored vinyl versions for her?

RonnieFranchise

Music Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:48 am

Yep.

Are you getting a copy of all six differently colored vinyl versions for her?
Am I? Hell no. What she wants to do with her money though….

eddy

Music Thread

Postby eddy » Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:48 am

Sierra Ferrell has a new album (Trail of Flowers) and it's wonderful. She's going to be a huge star.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMlK ... LO5i2hcioS

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:02 pm

At sone point Taylor Swift fans - and TS herself - have got to realize that she's the common denominator admid all the dysfunction, right?

nocera

Music Thread

Postby nocera » Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:35 pm

I’ve listened to the majority of the new T. Swift now thanks to running a bunch of errands with the wife today. I’m not a Swift hater whatsoever, in fact I really like the Folklore album. The best way I can sum up the Tortured Poets Department anthology is it’s an album comprised of all of the songs that you typically skip on her other albums. They all sort of run together—it was often hard to distinguish when one song ended and the next began. It feels like she’s now at a point where nobody is telling her no or helping her edit. If this was a 12-15 song album instead of 31, it’d feel a lot more cohesive. The anthology is too meandering, too repetitive, and too… boring I guess.

Gaucho

Music Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:42 am

RonnieFranchise

Music Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:00 am

Went to one of my favorite record stores outside Pittsburgh (we have great record stores here) for Record Store Day. Trax on Wax in Catonsville, MD. It’s not that big but it is well curated. Outside their dollar bins you won’t find any beat up crap - and even the dollar bins aren’t full of Montavani and other stuff nobody wanted when your Grammy died. Have found good stuff there.

Best thing I got was a Talking Heads live album from 1977 on 12” 45 RPM vinyl. Might be the best sounding pieces of wax I own.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Music Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:59 am

My kid wanted something she could listen to music in her room. For whatever reason (probably because it was the cheapest one on Amazon) my wife got her a boom box that has only radio and CD options. Kid loves TSwift, so I got her a few of her albums. I like folklore and lover. The rest… they’re okay, but not my cup of tea.

One of my wife’s coworkers bought every version of the new album and promised my kid she could have one of the copies when she gets them all ripped onto her computer. I feel like I’m back in the 2000’s. Digital media is a thing folks. Just download the album.

Gaucho

Music Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:23 am

Vinyl is nice, though.

eddy

Music Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:29 am

Cats like vinyl too!

RonnieFranchise

Music Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:30 pm

My kid wanted something she could listen to music in her room. For whatever reason (probably because it was the cheapest one on Amazon) my wife got her a boom box that has only radio and CD options. Kid loves TSwift, so I got her a few of her albums. I like folklore and lover. The rest… they’re okay, but not my cup of tea.

One of my wife’s coworkers bought every version of the new album and promised my kid she could have one of the copies when she gets them all ripped onto her computer. I feel like I’m back in the 2000’s. Digital media is a thing folks. Just download the album.
When the winner of Trump vs Biden round 2 finally ruins the planet I'll be glad I have my vinyl.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Music Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:36 pm

Oh... vinyl is different than CDs, imo. Vinyl clearly has staying power. CDs do not.

Vinyl or just digital. Anything else to me is silly at this point.

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:01 pm

I do not miss vinyl, but I dearly miss all the trappings that went with 'albums'. Like talent, and vision, and scope. etc

count2infinity

Music Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:05 pm

Troy Loney

Music Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:18 pm

Vinyl definitely makes for the most fun home music station.

Obviously streaming is the most convenient mode, but the sound is crap, and we lose that when the dystopian hellscape hits.

CDs are great for sound and mobility. I think CD cases were just crap though. so many of mine are cracked.

DigitalGypsy66

Music Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:56 pm

I miss liner notes tbh

CBear3

Music Thread

Postby CBear3 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:24 pm

I’ve listened to the majority of the new T. Swift now thanks to running a bunch of errands with the wife today. I’m not a Swift hater whatsoever, in fact I really like the Folklore album. The best way I can sum up the Tortured Poets Department anthology is it’s an album comprised of all of the songs that you typically skip on her other albums. They all sort of run together—it was often hard to distinguish when one song ended and the next began. It feels like she’s now at a point where nobody is telling her no or helping her edit. If this was a 12-15 song album instead of 31, it’d feel a lot more cohesive. The anthology is too meandering, too repetitive, and too… boring I guess.
I'd kind of agree. folklore and to a certain extent evermore were both pretty great and I enjoy their songs when they come up on my daughter's playlist. The anthology has a few songs that I enjoy, but I don't really feel a flow to the album, and likewise the songs tend to run together.

How Did it End is probably my favorite out of the 31. I have a soft spot for melancholy female vocals.
Actually any melancholy. Just Around Midnight and Rivers and Roads always hit me.