Music Thread

Willie Kool

Music Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:48 pm

TRIGGER WARNING

The link below contains offensive lyrics - racist, sexist and probably a few other ists. Listen at your own risk.

Extremely NSFW - probably the most NSFW ever...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6C4BiaFHZU

shafnutz05

Music Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:51 pm

Hah... I remember discovering that album in junior high school.

I also remember that because of that underground album, there were a TON of racist songs on Napster and Kazaa that were incorrectly attributed to him.

The odd thing is outside of that album he has never shown any of those sentiments. It's quite the anomaly.

DigitalGypsy66

Music Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:15 pm

Huh, he recorded an album with Dimebag Darrell.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Music Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:32 pm

This is the one of the only David Allen Coe songs I’m familiar with
This song was a very important part of my 20s and a song I try to live by. For real.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Music Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:02 am

I say DAC in concert. Was amazing.

DigitalGypsy66

Music Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:38 am

This is an interesting article from the NY Times on how mastering music has changed over the years, and not for the better: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/07/opin ... -wars.html
Last year, the industry celebrated a sales milestone. The Recording Industry Association of America certified that the Eagles’ “Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975),” was the best-selling album of all time, with sales of 38 million. (The formula took account of vinyl, CD and streaming purchases. Purists will have to put aside the fact that a greatest hits collection is not really an LP album as most of us know it.)

It was a full-circle moment — the album, released almost exactly 43 years ago, was the first to be awarded platinum status (sales of one million), an evocative reminder that songs were once commodities so valuable that millions of people would even buy them in repackaged form. It was also a taken as a quiet victory for people who believe that music today is too loud.

By “too loud,” I don’t mean you can’t crank the Eagles, if that’s your thing. I’m talking about loudness as a measure of sound within a particular recording. Our ears perceive loudness in an environment by reflexively noting the dynamic range — the difference between the softest and loudest sounds (in this case, the environment is the recording itself, not the room you are playing it in). A blaring television commercial may make us turn down the volume of our sets, but its sonic peaks are no higher than the regular programming preceding it. The commercial just hits those peaks more often. A radio station playing classical music may be broadcasting a signal with the same maximum strength as one playing hip-hop, but the classical station broadcast will hit that peak perhaps once every few minutes, while the hip-hop station’s signal may peak several times per second.

A loud environment in this sense is one with a limited dynamic range — highs that peak very high, and lows that aren’t much lower. For decades, musicians and engineers have employed dynamic range compression to make recordings sound fuller. Compression boosts the quieter parts and tamps down louder ones to create a narrower range. Historically, compression was usually applied during the mastering stage, the final steps through which a finished recording becomes a commercial release.
The article has a bad title; I thought it was about the quality of music today, but rather how it's produced/mastered today.

Gaucho

Music Thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:41 am

Digital audio killed dynamic range.

DigitalGypsy66

Music Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:58 am

Basically, yes.

Neil Young isn't wrong about that.

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:55 am

I agree with the premise, but instead of loud I'd use the moniker 'noisy'.

shafnutz05

Music Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:36 pm

Basically, yes.

Have you checked out the Archives? I was amazed at how good the audio quality was.

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:09 pm

A note about RIAA certifications.........

Back in the late 90s or early 00s, the RIAA introduced 'diamond' certification for album sales of 10+ million. No new release achieved diamond status (thanks, Napster!), and all the certifications for the first several years were for legacy releases (Eagles Greatest Hits, Thriller, Dark Side Of The Moon, etc). A few years in, they decided to include streams in the calculation (I think the current formula is 100 streams = 1 'sale'), and that was the only way they were able to capture current releases in the cert.

Also, they used to allow record companies to report units shipped to the Association for certification, so you'd have releases that were marketed on their street date as 'certified platinum'. Doing so did not account for returns, and so you'd have cases where returns outstripped actual sell-through by huge margins, so records were being falsely promoted. So now, you cannot apply for certification until the record has been commercially available for a period of time (it's either 30 days, or 100-ish days, I forget). And they now have to include return data, so they're certifying actual sales.

DigitalGypsy66

Music Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:24 pm

Basically, yes.

Have you checked out the Archives? I was amazed at how good the audio quality was.
Literally listening to it now. Signed up for a year a few weeks ago. Great stuff, and I wish more artists did stuff like this.

Freddy Rumsen

Music Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:40 pm

shafnutz05

Music Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:49 pm

Not the same without Geoff Tate

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:26 pm

I saw them in 2000-ish. Tate was vox, but I think DeGarmo had already left the band.

blackjack68

Music Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:58 pm

:thumb:

This song is perfection. Just the quintessential country song.
If there’s a jukebox, this is on my playlist.

So good.

blackjack68

Music Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:59 pm

Anyone see the Super Saturday Night w/ Foo Fighters?

Good stuff with some great guests.

https://youtu.be/NpJ--Jzofa4

the wicked child

Music Thread

Postby the wicked child » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:33 pm

Saw Queensryche 3 times... First time they were the main act... pretty meh concert... encore was just their new single at the time and they bailed... both opening bands sucked.

2nd time was on Maiden's Brave New World tour. That was my favorite of the 3. Helps that they busted out Speak, which I love the guitar work on and also Walk in the Shadows.

3rd time was when they were touring with Fates Warning and Dream Theater. It was good, but I didn't like their set quite as much as the previous time. They were the most enjoyable part of the show though as DT decided to pull out pretty much all 8-9+ minute songs which got pretty boring after awhile... and FW started early so I only got to hear like 2.5 songs from them . :/

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:58 am

We got up to Roger Taylor on 'Under Pressure' on Superb Owl Sunday before Mrs Tif packed it in. Then the upload we were watching got DMCA'd. I gather we saw about 80% of the show.

It is my fervent belief that they are incapable of doing a poor show. Admittedly, I say that as someone who just relocated and like 95% of the t-shirts I kept out of storage are in some way Foo related.

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:00 am

Saw Queensryche 3 times... First time they were the main act... pretty meh concert... encore was just their new single at the time and they bailed... both opening bands sucked.

2nd time was on Maiden's Brave New World tour. That was my favorite of the 3. Helps that they busted out Speak, which I love the guitar work on and also Walk in the Shadows.

3rd time was when they were touring with Fates Warning and Dream Theater. It was good, but I didn't like their set quite as much as the previous time. They were the most enjoyable part of the show though as DT decided to pull out pretty much all 8-9+ minute songs which got pretty boring after awhile... and FW started early so I only got to hear like 2.5 songs from them . :/
How many times have you seen DT? I've only ever seen Petrucci (with Portnoy on skins) as part of the G3 tour, but I gather they are known for doing like whole Iron Maiden records for their show.

Freddy Rumsen

Music Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:25 am

I shared before I inherited all my parents records, and one of my kids pointed out to me how the vocals on the album were more, to use that word, dynamic, than on the CD.

the wicked child

Music Thread

Postby the wicked child » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:39 am

How many times have you seen DT? I've only ever seen Petrucci (with Portnoy on skins) as part of the G3 tour, but I gather they are known for doing like whole Iron Maiden records for their show.
Just that one time unfortunately. I do like DT, but that was a set only the really hardcore prog metal fans could've enjoyed. If they had replaced a couple of the really long songs with a few shorter ones, I would've had a much better experience.

DigitalGypsy66

Music Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:10 am

Google Play music has a cool (or creepy?) feature that suggests music stations for artists you like that are touring near you. So I was kind of shocked when I saw the Foo Fighters on there. I assumed they were playing in Columbia or Charlotte/Raleigh again, but no, they are playing at something called the Epicenter Festival - a three day heavy metal/hard rock festival in beautiful Rockingham Speedway...about an hour from my house. I'm about 20 years too old for a festival, and the lineup that day doesn't sound great outside of the Foos...but pretty, pretty cool.

Maybe some of our NC people are interested: https://epicenterfestival.com/?c=blue_ext

blackjack68

Music Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:56 am

We got up to Roger Taylor on 'Under Pressure' on Superb Owl Sunday before Mrs Tif packed it in. Then the upload we were watching got DMCA'd. I gather we saw about 80% of the show.

It is my fervent belief that they are incapable of doing a poor show. Admittedly, I say that as someone who just relocated and like 95% of the t-shirts I kept out of storage are in some way Foo related.
You missed a few good ones:

Monkey Wrench
Run
War Pigs with Zac Brown and Tom Morello
Mountain Song with Perry Farrell, Zac and Tom
Best of You
Everlong

shafnutz05

Music Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:29 pm

Google Play music has a cool (or creepy?) feature that suggests music stations for artists you like that are touring near you. So I was kind of shocked when I saw the Foo Fighters on there. I assumed they were playing in Columbia or Charlotte/Raleigh again, but no, they are playing at something called the Epicenter Festival - a three day heavy metal/hard rock festival in beautiful Rockingham Speedway...about an hour from my house. I'm about 20 years too old for a festival, and the lineup that day doesn't sound great outside of the Foos...but pretty, pretty cool.

Maybe some of our NC people are interested: https://epicenterfestival.com/?c=blue_ext
Oh wow....the Rock would be a really fun, nostalgic venue.