iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Music Thread

Postby iamjs » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:38 pm

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Music Thread

Postby iamjs » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:30 pm

TIL Back in Black and Remain in Light were recorded in studios next door to each other at Compass Point Studios at the same time in 1980.

Mind Blown

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... M3I7bplkdI

Although no surprise that David Byrne is a wicked talented jagoff.
My favorite "recording across from each other" story involves Huey Lewis and The Bus Boys unknowingly covering and recording the same song across from each other.
There was a publisher guy at Chrysalis when we were signed to them. And he was, of course, trying to sell us songs as well; we’d written a bunch of songs and he was giving us songs too. My angle to the guys was always, “Look, we’re writing songs here and all that, and it’s great, but I’m not adverse to outside songs. The first thing we need is a hit.”

In those days there was no internet and FM radio was programmed. And it was the only avenue to success in those days, so we all competed. That's the Commodores and Garth Brooks – all of us for that same Top 40 spot. Which was kind of interesting because it forced you to listen to slightly different music than today. That was all that we could do, was get a hit.

So this guy pitched me “Heart and Soul” and I heard it and thought, “Jesus, it sounds like a smash. That’s a hit record if ever I heard one.” So I sent it around. And it’s a funny story because a couple of people associated with our organization, shall we say, really didn’t think so, and I said, “No, trust me. It is.”

So we cut it. And when we were cutting it, in L.A., the Bus Boys – remember them [the film 48 Hours?] – were in another studio in the same complex. And now I walk by their room and I hear “Heart and Soul” coming out. We’d just cut it! And so I lean my ear into the hallway and I hear this version of “Heart and Soul,” which is a different version. Right away I went, “Jesus Christ” and called the publisher. “What’s the deal?” “Oh, hey, I....” I can’t remember what he said, but he clearly pitched it to everyone in town and four people were cutting it. I thought, “That’s kinda cheesy.”

Somehow I secured a version of the Bus Boys' version. I told the publisher, “I don’t know if I’m gonna cut it. Let me listen to their version.” And I thought our version was better. I learned my lesson about publishers on that song, actually.

And I met Mike Chapman before that even. There was some talk about him producing us. And that was really a fun deal. We had a session with him and he’s a very interesting guy.
https://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/m ... -and-soul/

DigitalGypsy66

Music Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:42 am

Kid A is twenty years old.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... d-1067916/

I really liked Kid A and Amnesiac (released in early 2001). The cool thing was that Radiohead played these songs lives for months before recording them, so there were lots of high quality bootlegs available on Napster et al, so you could hear how the songs changed between early versions and the "final" recorded version that ended up on the album.

It was a lot like listening to the Beatles Anthologies and seeing how Strawberry Fields Forever came from Lennon's demo to Ringo's drum overdubs to the final released product. Really cool listening to how songs are "assembled."

I wish I still had those bootlegs, but like most digital things, they didn't make the move from one PC to another. Sad.

Gaucho

Music Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:27 am

Gaucho

Music Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:52 am

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:28 pm

Given their track record, and the supporting facts, I have no doubt whatsoever that Page lifted the progression/riff from Spirit; if you doubt me, get your hands on an original 1968 vinyl pressing of Zep I and a copy of the recent CD remaster, and compare the songwriting credits. But that's not the same as being able to prove infringement in court.

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:30 pm

Also, pre-1976 copyright law is generally trash.

crusherstasiak

Music Thread

Postby crusherstasiak » Mon Oct 05, 2020 6:54 pm

eddy

Music Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:20 am

That's terrific

Gaucho

Music Thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:59 pm

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:42 pm

Moved from RIP
I mean, you can make an easy argument for EVH being a Top 5 guitarist of all time. He was a living, breathing guitar god. Damn it.
Disagree with top.5

Steve Vai
Eric Johnson
Joe Satriani
SRV
Yngwie Malmsteen

Just off the top of my head were all better than EVH.
Fun question, maybe not so much in here, but that's good lineup. They wouldn't be in my top 5, but I thoroughly enjoy listening to each one of them play.
My personal top 5 are

EVH
Nuno
Vai
EJ
Jimi

But in terms of the global truth of players who have influenced the electric guitar the most, it's either EVH or Jimi at the top of the list, and any argument for some other player in either of those slots is indicative of a person not fully in touch with reality. Players like Page, Clapton, Beck, and even Vai, Satch, and others who are immensely talented and literate virtuosos are all speaking the same tongue; Edward and Jimi invented a new language. It is such an obvious thing to me that the only amount of subjectivity is around which one you put ahead of the other..... but that those giants are #1 and #2 is so clear cut to me as to be more or less empirical.

Perhaps my greatest musical hero not named John Williams or Paul McCartney has left us, and I'm immensely sad. I just got back home from visiting the Guitar Center in Hollywood...

I drove past his house in Studio City, but surprisingly there was no one out front and no flowers or anything.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Music Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:17 pm

PFiDC

Music Thread

Postby PFiDC » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:25 pm

I mean, you can make an easy argument for EVH being a Top 5 guitarist of all time. He was a living, breathing guitar god. Damn it.
Disagree with top.5

Steve Vai
Eric Johnson
Joe Satriani
SRV
Yngwie Malmsteen

Just off the top of my head were all better than EVH.
That's totally fair. Happy to see another Satriani fan. My dad got me into him as a kid. Summer Song is still one of my favs.

From a technical standpoint your list is definitely sound.
I love Satriani. Good for any mood.

Shout out to Lincoln Brewster as well. Contemporary Christian artist or not, dude can wail...

PFiDC

Music Thread

Postby PFiDC » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:26 pm

I'll move this from the RIP thread:

Nobody had changed the guitar as much as EVH since Les Paul stuck a phonograph needle in his hollow body when he was 15.

PFiDC

Music Thread

Postby PFiDC » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:38 pm

In no particular order I have: EVH, Chuck Berry, Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Randy Rhoads

Honorable mentions: Hendrix, Dimebag Darrell, Prince
Your list contains the most overrated and underrated guitarists of a time.

Clapton and Prince.

PFiDC

Music Thread

Postby PFiDC » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:47 pm

If I'm going technically sound guitarists my list in no particular order is:

SRV
Satriani
Gary Moore
Duane Allman
Brian May

blackjack68

Music Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:49 pm

In no particular order I have: EVH, Chuck Berry, Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughan and Randy Rhoads

Clapton and Prince.
I hope you are saying that Prince is underrated.

PFiDC

Music Thread

Postby PFiDC » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:18 am

Clapton and Prince.
I hope you are saying that Prince is underrated.
Absolutely

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:34 am

There are players who guitarists rate appropriately, but who a lot of non-guitarists might not even know their names.

Prince (obvi not one of the "who's that" gang, but people just don't get how bonkers good he was)
Warren DeMartinI
Vito Bratta
Jake E Lee

...to name a few.

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:40 am

My favorite Van Halen story is that they were opening for a Dokken showcase at the Troubadour in 1977 (iirc), and after their set everyone who was there to see Dokken (label A&R guys, I think Gene Simmons was there) bounced and was like "why isn't this the featured act??????"

PFiDC

Music Thread

Postby PFiDC » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:59 am

We often forget he wasn't just a guitarist. He played bass, keys, and drums too. All around a phenomenal musician.

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:43 am

Man, I am just so sad.................

Gaucho

Music Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:07 am

@DigitalGypsy66

Gaucho

Music Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:33 am

eddy

Music Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:41 am

Clapton and Prince.
My 5 right now would be

Jerry Garcia
Zappa
Clapton
Billy strings
Prince

For me, Clapton can just make the guitar sing in such a beautiful way that few others can.

Garcia would be my number 1 pick if I had to say just one for a desert island, it doesn't matter were or when or what kind of mood I'm in, his stuff just makes me happy, all the time. He's phenomenal and can do it all on the guitar.

I remember being around 12 or 13 and getting Frank Zappa and the mothers of invention live at Filmore east 1971 album and it was all over from there. I read and listened to everything the guy said and played and he became a hero to me. I think he's probably the most talented from the list above.

Billy strings has been a recent addition for me and much like Garcia, his music just works whenever I hear it. It's always great.

I kinda look at Prince like a mini zappa in terms of musical abilities. Just an absolute genius and one of the greatest shows I've ever seen live.

Steve Howe, kim Simmonds, Alvin Lee, freddie king, derek trucks, jimi, Trey, Page, stephen stills, Neil Young are all others that could randomly pop in as favorites anytime.