Music Thread

DigitalGypsy66

Music Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:41 pm

Radio commercial for upcoming Van Halen show at the Hollywood Bowl; all three songs used in the bed were from '1984'.
They actually have a live album(!) coming out from their last tour in 2013. I previewed a few tracks on my wife's iPhone (iTunes exclusive or some such) and it didn't sound great. Yeah, Dave can't really sing the songs very well anymore and it's now more of a spoken word thing. Or something. :lol:

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:07 pm

I won't go unless the rumors of Michael Anthony rejoining the band come to fruition.

DigitalGypsy66

Music Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:46 pm

I won't go unless the rumors of Michael Anthony rejoining the band come to fruition.
Yeah, he could actually cover some of the top end that's missing from Roth's vocals. And it would be really cool.

Jofa Guy

Music Thread

Postby Jofa Guy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:37 pm

Not to take thunder from krafsters post, but I was wondering on 5AF what's the general consensus on Zeppelin?

I know it depends on what type of music you like, but IMO I think they're so freaking good. I'm younger (not trying to be a Richard) so I haven't heard all of their less popular songs, which is what Led heds say you *have* to listen to.
Tea for One, Ten Years Gone and Trampled Under Foot.
Travelin riverside blues is one of my favorites. I also dig in the light and ten years gone

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:04 pm

Nobody's Fault But Mine; Kashmir; Bron-Y-Aur Stomp; Bron-Y-Aur; Ten Years Gone; Going To California; Rain Song; Black Mountain Side; The Ocean

Troy Loney

Music Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:05 pm

Saw Screaming Females last night. I like their tamer new album. They did a nice job of mixing up that with their more raucous older stuff.

There're a lot of appealing shows coming up.

Chappo - 4/4
Zappa Plays Zappa - 4/8
Dan Deacon - 4/9
Foxygen - 4/13
Primus - 4/14
Modest Mouse - 4/20
Mountain Goats - 4/23
...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead - 4/30
Ben Folds 5/4
Of Montreal 5/5
Lower Dens 5/9
Antlers 5/11
Palma Violets 5/21
MMJ 6/4
Father John Misty 6/6
Gogol 6/12
Twin Peaks 6/17
A Place to Bury Strangers 6/20
The Kills 8/1 (Detroit)
Left off the Protomartyr show at Gooskis next week. The Gotobeds are opening that show too, a local band that is starting to get some press and signed to Subpop for their next album. (sort of a plug, the drummer is a high school friend).

RE: Courtney Barnett, huge fan of the Pedestrian at Best song.

columbia

Music Thread

Postby columbia » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:07 pm

I like the Gotobeds. A friend of mine (who is not Troy's friend) used to be in that band.

Bioshock

Music Thread

Postby Bioshock » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:22 pm

Giving Tidal a try. So far it is really flippin clear. But 20 dollars a month clear? We'll see.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Music Thread

Postby iamjs » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:20 pm

Here's something: Ben Stiller probably listened to a lot noisy proto-punk in high school. You know how I know? Because A-list actor, Meet the Parents star, and plucky goofball Ben Stiller was in a band back in his teen days. He played the drums. He played the drums like a wild, pubescent kid who thought The Stooges were dad rock but totally worshipped Arto Lindsay.

In a classic angry-teen-with-limited-vocabulary move, the band was called Capital Punishment and their only album was 1982's Road Kill. It's actually not bad. It's very esoteric, industrial noise music, but the song above has a weird squawking thing going on that keeps it interesting.

And, dream of all dreams, NYC label Captured Tracks is reissuing the whole thing sometime this fall.
http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/28/83052 ... red-tracks

columbia

Music Thread

Postby columbia » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:26 pm

On that note: Fred Armisen's band Trenchmouth

Willie Kool

Music Thread

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:53 pm

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Music Thread

Postby iamjs » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:32 am

Dallas has long been a hotbed of musical talent, from blues legend Stevie Ray Vaughan to neo-soul goddess Erykah Badu. But no North Texas musician has reached the same commercial and artistic heights as South Dallas’ own Robert Matthew Van Winkle, better known to the world as the versatile and inimitable rapper Vanilla Ice.

Ice first burst onto the scene with the urgent proclamation that we all “stop, collaborate and listen,” and the former R.L. Turner student immediately commanded the world’s attention. We’ve been collaborating and listening ever since. Having established his bona fides as an unparalleled musical genius perhaps gifted with divine inspiration, Ice then demonstrated his range with a star turn in the classic 1991 film Cool As Ice.

The rapper’s bold forays into nu-metal continue to break barriers, while his work as a reality TV star and cultural ambassador to the Amish only strengthen the case that Ice should be considered not just one of the greatest artists of all time, but one of the greatest Americans of all time.
http://frontrow.dmagazine.com/2015/04/w ... -all-time/

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:10 pm

He yelled at my boss and me when I was at EMI-Capitol. He didn't have approval rights over master licensing for advertising, so we licensed IIB for a Gap or Old Navy commercial without running it by him. This was back when he was trying to reinvent himself as a hardcore gangsta rap dude. He called to dodint about the commercial, and we're like "Dude, it's the Gap/Old Navy. It's harmless." and he was like "THAT'S THE POINT!!!!" Jerk.

the wicked child

Music Thread

Postby the wicked child » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:46 pm

Kanye West is going to be on the next Megadeth album... da ****?

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:53 pm

Yeah, he could actually cover some of the top end that's missing from Roth's vocals. And it would be really cool.
Saw them on Kimmel....... Roth was terrible. Like........ awful. Made me sad.

FreeCandy44

Music Thread

Postby FreeCandy44 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:04 pm

Wait....what?

Silentom

Music Thread

Postby Silentom » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:10 pm

I think you posted that a day too late.

the wicked child

Music Thread

Postby the wicked child » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:17 pm

Ha... yeah... Love when FB puts old links at the top of my feed. Carry on. :pop:

Jofa Guy

Music Thread

Postby Jofa Guy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:27 pm

Dallas has long been a hotbed of musical talent, from blues legend Stevie Ray Vaughan to neo-soul goddess Erykah Badu. But no North Texas musician has reached the same commercial and artistic heights as South Dallas’ own Robert Matthew Van Winkle, better known to the world as the versatile and inimitable rapper Vanilla Ice.

Ice first burst onto the scene with the urgent proclamation that we all “stop, collaborate and listen,” and the former R.L. Turner student immediately commanded the world’s attention. We’ve been collaborating and listening ever since. Having established his bona fides as an unparalleled musical genius perhaps gifted with divine inspiration, Ice then demonstrated his range with a star turn in the classic 1991 film Cool As Ice.

The rapper’s bold forays into nu-metal continue to break barriers, while his work as a reality TV star and cultural ambassador to the Amish only strengthen the case that Ice should be considered not just one of the greatest artists of all time, but one of the greatest Americans of all time.
http://frontrow.dmagazine.com/2015/04/w ... -all-time/

IMO, Austin is a way hotter music city than Dallas. Stevie came from Austin right? I know Gary clark jr (my favorite musician right now) is from there. I have a cool story bro moment.

Went to sxsw in 2012 when I first got into Gary's music. I had a fake Id at the time, He was the main reason I went. I was supposed to see him but my fake got taken up. After his show I was trying to figure out where I was (my friends left me lol) and Gary came out and smoked a cig right next to me. I didn't say anything bc I didn't want to annoy him, until two annoying blonde girls came up and did their Valley girl "OMG.. Like like". I just walked off and nodded, he nodded back. Cool story bro

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:34 pm

SRV was born in and grew up in Dallas. As a teenager, he and his band moved to Austin, which is where his career began to flourish. I definitely don't think 'Dallas' when I think of SRV.

Jofa Guy

Music Thread

Postby Jofa Guy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:37 pm

SRV was born in and grew up in Dallas. As a teenager, he and his band moved to Austin, which is where his career began to flourish. I definitely don't think 'Dallas' when I think of SRV.
Oh ok. Good to know, I just always thought of Austin when I think of him. Dallas doesn't have a srv statue but Austin sure does lol. Good ole willy is also Austin right? I think it's either that or Tennessee

Edit: looked it up and it's Abbott tx

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:41 pm

If you have HBO Go, check out the Austin episode of 'Sonic Highways' (the Foo Fighters thing). They did a really good job of condensing a lot of music history into about 45 minutes. All the episodes were great, but the Austin one was particularly interesting, imo.

Jofa Guy

Music Thread

Postby Jofa Guy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:45 pm

If you have HBO Go, check out the Austin episode of 'Sonic Highways' (the Foo Fighters thing). They did a really good job of condensing a lot of music history into about 45 minutes. All the episodes were great, but the Austin one was particularly interesting, imo.

Yeah my brother recorded all of them. I've seen Chicago, dc, and Seattle. I need to watch the Austin one, my gf graduated from ut so I got to see some cool venues, however I need to check out the music scene moreso. It's getting completely overpacked with daddy's boys and girls but it still has it's "weirdness"

FreeCandy44

Music Thread

Postby FreeCandy44 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:00 pm

I think that the new Foos album is very lackluster. It pains me as a fan since the beginning to write that.

Jofa Guy

Music Thread

Postby Jofa Guy » Fri Apr 03, 2015 12:27 am

I think that the new Foos album is very lackluster. It pains me as a fan since the beginning to write that.
I think echoes silence patience and grace is their best song. Stranger things have happened kicks ass