eddy

Music Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:54 am

Source of the post I'd probably show up for Oysterhead
keeping my fingers crossed for a show closer to here, we keep getting closer

Troy Loney

Music Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:57 am

I'm actually zipping through all my high school bands that I loved in like a 12 month span, I checked off Dashboard, Anberlin, Something Corporate, I'm going to see Motion City Soundtrack on Saturday...a lot of stuff I just didn't have access to when I was younger...
That's interesting. For me, my high school bands of that ilk were Saves the Day, Get up Kids, the Anniversary, Hot Rod Circuit, Alkaline Trio, and the Promise ring. I think right around then, that sort of music merged with Blink 182 and New Found Glory to spawn those bands you listed. So I missed that stuff like Yellowcard and Taking Back Sunday.

mikey

Music Thread

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:00 pm

Saw Motion City Soundtrack’s keyboarder do a ****ing handstand on his keyboard and continue playing.
[Anchorman erection gif]

mikey

Music Thread

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:02 pm

I'm actually zipping through all my high school bands that I loved in like a 12 month span, I checked off Dashboard, Anberlin, Something Corporate, I'm going to see Motion City Soundtrack on Saturday...a lot of stuff I just didn't have access to when I was younger...
That's interesting. For me, my high school bands of that ilk were Saves the Day, Get up Kids, the Anniversary, Hot Rod Circuit, Alkaline Trio, and the Promise ring. I think right around then, that sort of music merged with Blink 182 and New Found Glory to spawn those bands you listed. So I missed that stuff like Yellowcard and Taking Back Sunday.
I'm really cool with a lot of those bands too...I think I saw Saves the Day at some point or else I don't know how would I have gotten a t-shirt of theirs...the only one that I didn't really know was the anniversary and the promise ring...they don't sound familiar to me really...Blink and NFG are awesome...Yellowcard and TBS is my wheelhouse...

The only thing I regret a little is that I didn't see Angels & Airwaves when they came to Philly...but $80 to see them? Get out of here. I've paid much less to see much better, more popular acts...still though...that one is gonna be unchecked for a while I bet...

Troy Loney

Music Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:11 pm

I'm really cool with a lot of those bands too...I think I saw Saves the Day at some point or else I don't know how would I have gotten a t-shirt of theirs...the only one that I didn't really know was the anniversary and the promise ring...they don't sound familiar to me really...Blink and NFG are awesome...Yellowcard and TBS is my wheelhouse...

The only thing I regret a little is that I didn't see Angels & Airwaves when they came to Philly...but $80 to see them? Get out of here. I've paid much less to see much better, more popular acts...still though...that one is gonna be unchecked for a while I bet...
I'll still listen to anything all the Saves the Day stuff through Stay What you Are, they are still a thing and the music they are making is some of the worst **** imaginable. I took a road trip in the early 2000's to see them play with Thursday in Philly.

The anniversary put out one emo-y album on vagrant, then one dude went a-wall and they became like an americana band.

I recently picked up guitar, so I've been revisiting these songs from my youth because I just kind of know the rhythm of those songs and they are easy/fun to play.

mikey

Music Thread

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:32 pm

That's sick. I'll have to check out Anniversary...I wouldn't have guessed Saves the Day was still a thing, I also assumed that when I graduated college that all of these bands just went away...I'm always surprised to see them listed on a card somewhere, when I stopped listening, you guys didn't just quit? Cool.

It's a little outside this genre, but add Eve6 to my list of "must see this, or die" - that was probably a few years ago now, but I'm a big Eve6 fan...slightly related, I'd like to see if a little known (I think?) band called Stroke 9 still does anything...they'd probably be a pretty chill show...

Re: Saves the Day getting bad. I remember liking The Academy Is...and was excited when they put out a next album (no idea what number they were at or got to) and it was complete horse waste...for young mikey, it was the first time I really realized that a band you like can get bad at things...Panic! followed up shortly thereafter to affirm this feeling...(they weren't a must see, per se...but I did catch them at Firefly...ok show, they did a Queen cover that I actually didn't like but everyone else soaked through their pantaloons for...so...whatever...)

Troy Loney

Music Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:53 pm

That's sick. I'll have to check out Anniversary...I wouldn't have guessed Saves the Day was still a thing, I also assumed that when I graduated college that all of these bands just went away...I'm always surprised to see them listed on a card somewhere, when I stopped listening, you guys didn't just quit? Cool.

It's a little outside this genre, but add Eve6 to my list of "must see this, or die" - that was probably a few years ago now, but I'm a big Eve6 fan...slightly related, I'd like to see if a little known (I think?) band called Stroke 9 still does anything...they'd probably be a pretty chill show...

Re: Saves the Day getting bad. I remember liking The Academy Is...and was excited when they put out a next album (no idea what number they were at or got to) and it was complete horse waste...for young mikey, it was the first time I really realized that a band you like can get bad at things...Panic! followed up shortly thereafter to affirm this feeling...(they weren't a must see, per se...but I did catch them at Firefly...ok show, they did a Queen cover that I actually didn't like but everyone else soaked through their pantaloons for...so...whatever...)
I remember having a Kazaa session in probably like 2006 or 2007 where I downloaded stuff from those bands you mentioned, and now that you mention it, the only song I liked much was from the Academy is.

Anniversary is more on the Get Up Kids side of the spectrum, lots of keyboard, and there's also a girl singer. So I wouldn't align them too much with the stuff your mentioning.

I would probably include Say Anything with that next wave punk/emo group came out in your formidable years, I still like that album, Is a Real Boy.

I have a friend who was into the same stuff that swears by Eve 6, and also unironically likes 3rd eye blind. Which is funny because my friend that keeps up with music who sends band recommendations from time to time, and every time it's a contemporary emo band, I think it sounds like third eye blind.

eddy

Music Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:14 pm

might be talking to myself about this one, but found this cool ticket from back in the day. You paid $1 and a penny came back in the "e" Anyone remember Ekoostik Hookah?

Gaucho

Music Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:00 am

shafnutz05

Music Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:28 pm

This is fantastic, thanks for sharing. I love the sound of the old Carter family stuff.

Gaucho

Music Thread

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:18 pm

<3

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Music Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:20 pm

:(

tjand72

Music Thread

Postby tjand72 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:24 pm

I just found out about this song today. Not sure how I've made it this far in life without hearing it before.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Music Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:18 am

Is that supposed to be awesome on the unintentionally funny scale?

tifosi77

Music Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:13 am

Tickets just went on sale for a Grammy tribute concert honoring Prince at the LA Convention Center that will be staged/recorded Jan 28th. Foo Fighters, John Legend, Shelia E. (*swoon*), Morris Day And The Time, Chris Martin, The Revolution, Susanna Hoffs (*also swoon*), Earth Wind & Fire, Alicia Keys, Common. Trying to talk Mrs Tif into this is surprisingly more difficult than I would've guessed.

Gaucho

Music Thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:37 am

meecrofilm

Music Thread

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:39 am

After being only passably familiar with some of their megahits, finally finished making my way through the E.L.O catalogue. :thumb:

Gaucho

Music Thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:08 pm

Favorite Prince album?

eddy

Music Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:18 pm

I'm having a tough time figuring out which one I would call favorite, they are all so damn good and I just go through listening to all of them with such great pleasure. From his more recent stuff, I listen to these a lot: rave un2 the joy fantastic, musicology (got to see him live on this tour with Maceo funking it up with his sax), and Lotusflow3r. I also adore the Batman album.

love Dear Mr Man from musicology

eddy

Music Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:31 pm

Favorite Prince album?
E tu

Gaucho

Music Thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:33 pm

Ah, yes. Erm...

Around the World in a Day?

Tough one indeed.

eddy

Music Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:51 pm

Ah, yes. Erm...

Around the World in a Day?

Tough one indeed.
:fist:

Gaucho

Music Thread

Postby Gaucho » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:53 am

eddy

Music Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:15 am

Patti Smith will always be cool, but there is something about that song where it just doesn't work for me unless I hear Neils voice with it.

DigitalGypsy66

Music Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:24 am

Fallon is such a lightweight. :lol:

Good version of the song. I've been listening to Weld a lot lately. Blowin' in the Wind is very on point again.