Better Call Saul

The U

Better Call Saul

Postby The U » Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:55 pm

i think it's a wee bit of a problem that mike steals every single episode that he's in...you know, since it's called Better Call SAUL. but the format still works
Jimmy/Saul can still be the centerpiece of the show. The nucleus in which all other characters and storylines revolve around. In Seinfeld, didn't George and Kramer steal every scene that they were in with Jerry?

To be honest, I don't know how long I would have lasted with BCS if they continued down the law firm/attorney/space blanket angles without moving the story forward to Mike, Salamanca, Tuco, etc...

I'm enjoying the show for sure, but right now I feel like we are paying our dues until the story really gets going. (of course this is laying the groundwork for the rest of the show so I'm OK with this)

shmenguin

Better Call Saul

Postby shmenguin » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:02 pm

In Seinfeld, didn't George and Kramer steal every scene that they were in with Jerry?
eeeeehhhhh it's different, i think. but i see where you're going. i don't have problems with an ensemble approach. but there needs to be more intergration - like seinfeld. and i expect that there will be.

Troy Loney

Better Call Saul

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:03 pm

i think it's a wee bit of a problem that mike steals every single episode that he's in...you know, since it's called Better Call SAUL. but the format still works
The story lines are definitely moving at different paces, which shouldn't be a problem, but for 45 minute episode, where all the action at the particular time revolves around Mike and Wexler, why are we spending close to a third of the air time to Jimmy being bored and restless or his special mug still not fitting into the Mercedes Cup holder.

the wicked child

Better Call Saul

Postby the wicked child » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:47 am

So the changes Jimmy made to those documents... Was that just to make HHM look bad or was there something more significant to it?

Also thinking we may see the infamous wheelchair/bell by the end of the season.

Troy Loney

Better Call Saul

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:51 am

So the changes Jimmy made to those documents... Was that just to make HHM look bad or was there something more significant to it?

That'd be my guess. Her argument was that the personal attention she could give to the bank would make her as a solo practitioner a better option than a big bureaucratic out of touch firm.

Gaucho

Better Call Saul

Postby Gaucho » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:04 pm

The address on the documents is that of the construction site of a new Mesa Verde branch.

skullman80

Better Call Saul

Postby skullman80 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:08 pm

still enjoying the show, bit of a slower episode this week, but thats ok. last two episodes of the season should be interesting.

DigitalGypsy66

Better Call Saul

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:27 pm

Chuck McGill is one of TV's biggest villains. Just pure spite motivates him, to the point he hurts himself to get to his brother. Sinister.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Better Call Saul

Postby Spangler » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:03 pm

That'd be my guess. Her argument was that the personal attention she could give to the bank would make her as a solo practitioner a better option than a big bureaucratic out of touch firm.
And I'm fulling expecting this to blow up in Jimmy's face again.

Troy Loney

Better Call Saul

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:13 pm

For sure, she's going to find out that he did that and end their pseudo working together situation

shmenguin

Better Call Saul

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:41 am

the episode was good. the closure was bad.

a note on a window and a tape recorder aren't exactly the most tantalizing cliffhangers i've ever seen. if you're going to leave us like that, at least go big. it was very unsatisfying, even though i enjoyed all 60 minutes.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Better Call Saul

Postby Spangler » Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:20 pm

I thought it was fine.

Possible season 3 spoilers
Based on Talking Bad it looks like that note could have been Gus Fring

large garlic

Better Call Saul

Postby large garlic » Tue Apr 19, 2016 1:13 pm

the episode was good. the closure was bad.

a note on a window and a tape recorder aren't exactly the most tantalizing cliffhangers i've ever seen. if you're going to leave us like that, at least go big. it was very unsatisfying, even though i enjoyed all 60 minutes.
I kind of have similar feelings. I think I liked pretty much every episode individually, but stepping back and looking at the big picture, I'm not sure things move very far overall this season...
Mike is pretty much at war with the Salamanca cartel at this point, which is a new development, but there's nothing close to resolution there...it's all been set-up.

Chuck is pretty much at war with Jimmy (even if Jimmy isn't quite at war with him), but that was already established in season 1. We see some battles and reversals of fortune over season 2, but there relationship is pretty much where it was at the end of season 1.
It almost feels like season 2 was just a set-up for season 3.

shmenguin

Better Call Saul

Postby shmenguin » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:12 pm

it's funny how they completely bailed on the season 1 finale. it was so pointless.

skullman80

Better Call Saul

Postby skullman80 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:25 pm

I need to watch this tonight on the DVR... will go in with tempered expectations, but I've enjoyed things so far.

Staggy

Better Call Saul

Postby Staggy » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:08 pm

Quality episode, quality season, but not all that exciting just yet.

Spoilers regarding the note for Mike...
It was 100% from Gus. The first letter of every episode title this season is an anagram for FRINGS BACK. Gus isn't sneaking around the desert so it was probably one of his henchmen that put it there. It will be awesome to see that character back next year, but they need to start interweaving the stories.
Regarding the viewing format of the show...it sucks. 10 episodes and then 10 months off works for a show like Thrones where bonkers stuff happens every other episode and the scope is so wide. It doesn't work nearly as well for BCS.

the wicked child

Better Call Saul

Postby the wicked child » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:02 pm

Pretty much agree with the sentiment in here... I enjoyed the episode, as I did the others... but yeah... ending of both threads was less than satisfying.

skullman80

Better Call Saul

Postby skullman80 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:28 pm

Just finished watching a bit ago. Agree with everyone. Enjoyed the episode but kind of meh for a season finale.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Better Call Saul

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:30 am

Someone refresh my memory: In a couple of the black and white flash forwards where we see him as "Gene" in Omaha, he's always looking over his shoulder and gets paranoid that someone's coming for him. But it's always these big, hitmen looking guys. Who else would be coming after Saul, besides the Feds? I just thought he needed the new identity because of his involvement with Walt.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Better Call Saul

Postby count2infinity » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:56 am

Ohhhh sh*t. Forgot that Saul started back up. I'll have to catch up.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Better Call Saul

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:59 am

I didn't know until literally the day it started two mondays ago. Saw almost zero promotion.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Better Call Saul

Postby count2infinity » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:11 pm

I watched the first episode... to answer your question, maybe it's Walt? I mean he got spooked by the Albuquerque mirror hang thing, so it has something to do with his breaking bad days. It might be during the time that Walt is in Vermont or battling with the Nazis, because Saul leaves before Walt does. Maybe he doesn't know Walt is dead? I dunno... just spitballing.

Gaucho

Better Call Saul

Postby Gaucho » Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:47 pm

Terrific show.

Gaucho

Better Call Saul

Postby Gaucho » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:16 pm

Neelix!

Gaucho

Better Call Saul

Postby Gaucho » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:23 pm

Kim Wexler listens to Stereolab. As if I didn't already have a crush on her.