Shoes, Clothes, and All Things Sartorial

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:06 pm

allen edmonds shoes are the best. i often forget how great they are but dang they are nice
They are nice, but I just can't justify spending that much. I like to keep a really nice wardrobe, and I like my shoes to look nice, but I am too rough on them to devote that amount of money to them. Kind of like sunglasses.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:19 pm

ive had two pairs of allen edmonds for more than 5 years. the longest ive had another pair of shoes is less than a year. i initially thought they were too expensive as well, but they hold up better than anything else. worth the investment. plus you can get the clearance shoes for less than 200. cant beat it

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:28 pm

I am currently looking to buy a new pair of daily browns myself. Over the past 10 years I have had an AE pair for 6 years and the Mags currently on my feet for 4. I saw a pair of To Boot NY at Nordstrom Rack recently and was curious about them. I remember trying a pair on when I got my original AEs long ago, so I think it's a pretty solid brand.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:37 pm

ive been getting a great deal of social media advertisements for undandy shoes which seem to be a thursday boot type company

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:02 pm

sweater vest is not a good look.
this gentleman does not own a sweater vest. HOWEVA, if a gentleman were to wear a sweater vest, it has to be part of what would be a very considered and excessively managed overall look that nonetheless convincingly projects insouciance at a casual glance

imo
Behold, not one week ago:
Nailed it, screams insouciance.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:14 pm

I wear a sweater vest every day and have them in multiple colors. #fightme

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:16 pm

Yinz in the mean street posse?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:18 pm

i had a couple sweater vests that hung in my closet for years and then it dawned on me that i will never wear them so they are now at goodwill

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:36 pm

Yinz in the mean street posse?
:lol:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:42 pm

@shmenguin You're a tall skinny dude right? Where do you buy shirts for work (assuming you wear dress/business casual stuff to work)? I'm pretty much in medium shirt, but I need the length in my arms (and torso for that matter). Most 15.5 shirts fit great on me, except the arm length. The longest I can find is a 34/35 sleeve, and it would work, but largely all I can find in 15.5 neck size is 32/33 in sleeve length. Typically I'm a 36/37.
Hello.

I’m 6’3 with very broad shoulders and a very narrow torso. I am a wedge. I think you’re more straight lined, if I remember a picture of you correctly, wearing some mumford and sons situation to a wedding once. And I know you’re taller than me. And I’m really high waisted, which means I need a shirt with tall guy arms but not a total tall guy shirt.

But regardless! I have 2 options. Both not for the faint of heart.

1) Brooks Brothers, Milano Cut. The best expensivebutnotcrazy option for tall slender guys.

2) I go bespoke. There’s a place called Enzo’s in Philly. All my suits, sports jackets and dress shirts are from there. If you buy in bulk, you can a discount. But it’s still not cheap. PM for deets if you want some baseline numbers for tailored stuff.

I had 8 months to reply and I’ve given you no practical advice. You’re welcome. But maaaan, I love my tailored stuff. You gotta get one bespoke suit in your life as a mutant like me.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:44 pm

@shmenguin You're a tall skinny dude right? Where do you buy shirts for work (assuming you wear dress/business casual stuff to work)? I'm pretty much in medium shirt, but I need the length in my arms (and torso for that matter). Most 15.5 shirts fit great on me, except the arm length. The longest I can find is a 34/35 sleeve, and it would work, but largely all I can find in 15.5 neck size is 32/33 in sleeve length. Typically I'm a 36/37.
Hello.

I’m 6’3 with very broad shoulders and a very narrow torso. I am a wedge. I think you’re more straight lined, if I remember a picture of you correctly, wearing some mumford and sons situation to a wedding once. And I know you’re taller than me. And I’m really high waisted, which means I need a shirt with tall guy arms but not a total tall guy shirt.

But regardless! I have 2 options. Both not for the faint of heart.

1) Brooks Brothers, Milano Cut. The best expensivebutnotcrazy option for tall slender guys.

2) I go bespoke. There’s a place called Enzo’s in Philly. All my suits, sports jackets and dress shirts are from there. If you buy in bulk, you can a discount. But it’s still not cheap. PM for deets if you want some baseline numbers for tailored stuff.

I had 8 months to reply and I’ve given you no practical advice. You’re welcome. But maaaan, I love my tailored stuff. You gotta get one bespoke suit in your life as a mutant like me.
I popped bigtime at “wearing a Mumford and sons situation” hahaha

I would, however, like to know what enzos hits you for as a comparator on various items

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:54 pm

Fine...let’s do this in the open. I spend a lot of money on cloths. The secret is out.

You can get a suit (jacket, pants, shirt) for a little more than $1K. That’s a god damn steal. I think it might be like an introductory thing, where you can only do it once. Details are fuzzy. But this thing is customized all over. Liner, buttons, under the collar fabric is apparently a thing, monograms everywhere. And they have very helpful folks. I can give you a name to request.

If you buy shirts in bulk (5 ish?), they amount to $180 a pop last time I did it. Also customized in a bunch of ways. Also a steal. But you gotta do your homework on fabric. And take your time. Make an afternoon of it. I rushed and made some grave mistakes.

Sports coats are not a steal. $700. But sharp as a tack.

Pants: who cares. Go to banana republic or something.

Takes like 6 weeks to process an order. All of it classy and professional. Shirts can go in the wash. Your wife also has the option of throwing them in the dryer and ruining them by accident.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:56 pm

I also accidentally read that as you wanting to go to philly for some reason to buy clothes.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:57 pm

:shock:

That’s a lot of money. I bought pretty much the entirety of my new wardrobe at goodwill. :lol:

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:03 pm

That’s showbiz, baby.

Things like this also matter for me, career-wise. It seems absurd. It used to for me. But it’s a thing.
Last edited by shmenguin on Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:04 pm

I love buying nice clothes now that I've lost weight, but I just don't wear suits often enough to justify that expense.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:01 pm

Indochino, bruh. You can do your own measurements with a yardstick and piece of rope.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:50 pm

dodint measures himself in hands

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:58 pm

Ouch.

:lol:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:28 pm

meow (internally): Seems like I dress as the biggest pompous ass on the forum.

shmenguin: hold my beer

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:24 pm

meow (internally): Seems like I dress as the biggest pompous ass on the forum.

shmenguin: hold my beer
I would buy cheap off the rack and get my stuff tailored for a while. But I always looked like a 5 year old wearing his dad’s jacket because of shoulder/torso ratios.

Got a much different job a few years ago. How I looked when it’s showtime started to matter more. And there are many more showtimes. What are you gonna do? Ass it up. That’s what.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:30 pm

Shmenguin. Respeck.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Shmenguin. Respeck.
I still work downtown, btw. I even noticed that center city sips was a shell of its former self this year. But I almost never go into the office anymore.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:49 pm

Yeah, it was toned down a bit this year...but still a good time...at least for me, but I have some interesting tastes...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:12 pm

Shmenguin. Respeck.
I still work downtown, btw. I even noticed that center city sips was a shell of its former self this year. But I almost never go into the office anymore.
I went to one of the pop up beer gardens on South Street a couple summers ago... It was pretty fun.