Shoes, Clothes, and All Things Sartorial

dodint

Postby dodint » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:56 pm

Source of the post I wear Sambas pretty much every single day
:fist:

I can't wear them as often as I want because they have no arch support, but when I do... :thumb:

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:16 pm

Sartorial pet peeve: Oxford (button-down) collars with ties. Stop it. You are not in prep school anymore.

Bernie Sanders is always doing this.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:18 pm

I prefer no tie and the top couple buttons undone so that I can rock the stern bush.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:27 pm

Thanks everyone for the shoe suggestions... really appreciate it. I got some rockports. We'll see how they go.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:42 pm

Shoes:

I'm looking for a pair of shoes that are casual and good for standing for long periods of time. I wear Sambas pretty much every single day, and it hasn't been an issue in the past because my work has been a lot of do something, go sit for a while, do something, go sit for a while, but recently I've been on my feet for hours at a time. I've had some soreness in my heal and up through to my knees. I'm guessing it's the shoes, so I'm wondering what yinz who stand for long periods of time for work and whatnot wear on your feet?
Cole Haan Tucker Venetian. As long as they keep making them, I will be buying. I have a new pair in my closet for when my current ones die, they are currently going pretty damn good from when I bought them (March 16, 2012)

http://www.zappos.com/cole-haan-tucker-venetian

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:43 pm

oops

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:43 pm

:lol: you the man, eddy.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:24 pm

I'd have a hard time spending $150 for shoes that have that gaudy button logo on the back in red.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:30 pm

Sartorial pet peeve: Oxford (button-down) collars with ties. Stop it. You are not in prep school anymore.

I haven't decided my position on this yet.

What are people's thoughts on wearing a shirt and tie to work but no jacket. Is that cheesy? I want to step up my look a bit due to a recent promotion, but i don't have many sport coats nor do I wear them properly. Used to do shirt and tie when i first started, moved away from it to fit in better though.

I feel like a tie is a step up, but want to avoid looking like a Xerox machine salesman.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:31 pm

I'd actually rather wear a suit, but if i did that i'd look like a dick and upstage.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:11 pm

I love to wear suits.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:51 pm

What are people's thoughts on wearing a shirt and tie to work but no jacket. Is that cheesy? I want to step up my look a bit due to a recent promotion, but i don't have many sport coats nor do I wear them properly. Used to do shirt and tie when i first started, moved away from it to fit in better though.

I feel like a tie is a step up, but want to avoid looking like a Xerox machine salesman.
Tie no sport coat/suit is also too prep school for what you want.

As is befitting a king, I presume king Colby wears only the finest of dress shirts, but if you wear off the rack polo oxford button downs for example (a classic but as I got older I stopped wearing them to work at least) consider buying more upscale shirts (and there are places you can get a high quality shirt IMO for relatively cheap). That will convey what you want without forcing a tie into the scenario w/o a coat over it IMO.

You can even go cuff links no coat with a nice shirt, but I admit that is frowned upon by most ( @meow might fight me for this iirc).

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:53 am

I've been chastised for cufflinks w/o jacket/tie in this thread.

Sometimes we just want to watch the world burn.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:53 am

I like the image that's presented by wearing a suit (in the right context). But the last time I wore a suit was to dinner at Canlis in Seattle, and I spent the whole evening in a self-conscious haze.

eddy

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:17 am

I'd have a hard time spending $150 for shoes that have that gaudy button logo on the back in red.
I'm not going to tell you what happens when you push that gaudy button logo then. And for 4 years of just about every day use and still going strong, it could be bright pink and I wouldn't mind. And also, all the cool kids do red button logos now. and also, in your face.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:49 am

Tie no sport coat/suit is also too prep school for what you want.

As is befitting a king, I presume king Colby wears only the finest of dress shirts, but if you wear off the rack polo oxford button downs for example (a classic but as I got older I stopped wearing them to work at least) consider buying more upscale shirts (and there are places you can get a high quality shirt IMO for relatively cheap). That will convey what you want without forcing a tie into the scenario w/o a coat over it IMO.

You can even go cuff links no coat with a nice shirt, but I admit that is frowned upon by most ( @meow might fight me for this iirc).
this gentleman's last job's dress code was shirt and tie, no coat. better dressed people would make snakry comments about being back in high school on a game day, etc. etc. etc. IKTKO, a shirt and a tie still looks nice, but it does look better if you wear a sport coat or blazer.

this gentleman now has a business formal dress code 5 days a week (barf). what is bothersome is that a.) this gentleman does not interact with customers or clients and b.) the suit coat is largely a formallity because we do not wear them around the office. so we all run around the office looking like prep schoolers anyways.

if kenny the kangaroo has his druthers, the dress code would be blazer/sport coat w/ tie. you can still look nice in a blazer, and then dry cleaning wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:38 am

I'm not going to tell you what happens when you push that gaudy button logo then. And for 4 years of just about every day use and still going strong, it could be bright pink and I wouldn't mind. And also, all the cool kids do red button logos now. and also, in your face.
:lol:

Kids these days. ;)

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:14 am

Shoes:

I'm looking for a pair of shoes that are casual and good for standing for long periods of time. I wear Sambas pretty much every single day, and it hasn't been an issue in the past because my work has been a lot of do something, go sit for a while, do something, go sit for a while, but recently I've been on my feet for hours at a time. I've had some soreness in my heal and up through to my knees. I'm guessing it's the shoes, so I'm wondering what yinz who stand for long periods of time for work and whatnot wear on your feet?
http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/ecco-biom-g ... ltback=986

these look better in person. these are the most comfortable shoes i have worn. i walked 10+ miles daily in europe for 2 weeks in these with no issues. they look fine with jeans, khakis, shorts. very pleased with them.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:14 am

Any recommendations on "wrinkle free" shirts? I prefer no collar buttons.
Eagle
I love Brooks Brothers noniron dress shirts for women and have a ton of them. I understand the men's perform just as well, and they have a variety of cuts and collar styles. They're pricey, imo, and I don't know how frequently the men's shirts go on sale. But they hold up extremely well. I wash mine in the gentle cycle and dry them on low, and they turn out consistently great.
eagle 4 lyfe. BB shirts are too expensive for the value imo

LITT

Postby LITT » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:19 am

i am almost exclusively flat front shirts but some styles/colors still do not come in flat front

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:24 am

Plus the buttons are just a pain in the arse.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:29 am

Shoes:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/ecco-biom-g ... ltback=986

these look better in person. these are the most comfortable shoes i have worn. i walked 10+ miles daily in europe for 2 weeks in these with no issues. they look fine with jeans, khakis, shorts. very pleased with them.
Those may be my next pair after I get done with the pair I bough over the weekend. That's almost exactly what I was looking for. Ended up going with these in the brown color:

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/rockport+make+y ... dId=293993

I'm wearing them today for the first time. We'll see how they do after I get done teaching this afternoon.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:29 pm

I can't condone this type of behavior. I feel there is a progression when it comes to dress attire. Cuff links are at the top. You need to check several boxes before you can check the cuff link box and a tie is 100% one of those boxes. I'd even say that a matching suit in a must with cuff links. No tans pants + a navy jacket (a personal favorite). That's meow's take.

Blue Canary

Postby Blue Canary » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:12 pm

Any recommendations on "wrinkle free" shirts? I prefer no collar buttons.
Eagle
I love Brooks Brothers noniron dress shirts for women and have a ton of them. I understand the men's perform just as well, and they have a variety of cuts and collar styles. They're pricey, imo, and I don't know how frequently the men's shirts go on sale. But they hold up extremely well. I wash mine in the gentle cycle and dry them on low, and they turn out consistently great.
eagle 4 lyfe. BB shirts are too expensive for the value imo
Figures Eagle doesn't make women's shirts. :thumbdown:

But I'm going to pass on the word. Noniron/wrinkle-free shirts are sartorial manna from Heaven.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:55 pm

I can't condone this type of behavior. I feel there is a progression when it comes to dress attire. Cuff links are at the top. You need to check several boxes before you can check the cuff link box and a tie is 100% one of those boxes. I'd even say that a matching suit in a must with cuff links. No tans pants + a navy jacket (a personal favorite). That's meow's take.
I agree with meow's take. Cuff links are pretty gat dam high on the totem pole.