Pro Wrasslin' Thread

blackjack68

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:01 pm

All I know is AEW starts tomorrow night on TNT at 8pm.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:13 pm

All I know is AEW starts tomorrow night on TNT at 8pm.
:thumb: DVR is set and ready to go. I haven't watched Raw or SD consistently since Mania and I could use a solid fix during the week. I'm hoping between AEW and SD on Fox, I'll have something to turn to.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:33 pm

Need to set my DVR for AEW. Excited to go to their show when they come here in a couple weeks.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Spangler » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:21 pm

I'm likely going to miss the premier of AEW and Smackdown due to work. Then I'm going away for a week after that, so I'll likely miss next week, as well.

Something that crossed my mind the other day. I wouldn't be surprised if Smackdown is the most PG WWE has ever been due to being on basic cable. I'm not sure how good that will be long-term.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:26 pm

AEW was a solid first show. Definitely some areas for improvement but the hot crowd helped hide the negatives and really accentuate the positives. Moxley is awesome. The surprise at the end was somehow exciting even though it was
Jack f’n Swagger
. Also I cracked up when I first noticed Jay Mewes and Kevin Smith sitting front row having the time of their lives.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:02 am

I never realized
Jack f'n Swagger
was so over. :lol:

What I did like is that JR sold the hell out of him coming to the ring, like he didn't know what was going on. That's the difference between him/AEW and Cole/WWE. AEW did a surprise attack where I was legit wondering who it was, while WWE would have his/her name on the Titantron, theme music bumping, with Cole saying "could it be... is that (insert wrestler)?" even before the wrestler runs out from the back.

Seriously, just let the moment happen.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:30 am

You forgot "You've got to be kiddin' me!"

I thought that was a Michael Cole thing, but they said it on NXT last night when Finn Balor was a surprise return. (with Titantron & theme music bumping)

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:24 am

I'm sans cable at the moment while my service for my less than legal box is fixed, so I didn't get to flip around like I had wanted.

So it sounds like it's a WWE thing, which makes me ask "why?" Let everything play out. The crowd will appreciate it more. I can't remember if it was here or elsewhere, but someone posted the reason why they did that. It was stupid; something along the lines of "it's so you knew who was coming to the ring." No, that's the exact point. Let the surprise attack or rescue be that, a **** surprise.

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:24 am

I think commentary hurts WWE more than anything honestly. None of it feels organic and never allows for any type of climax for a story. Always yelling, always pushing marketing, always pushing tag lines.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:29 am

I think commentary hurts WWE more than anything honestly. None of it feels organic and never allows for any type of climax for a story. Always yelling, always pushing marketing, always pushing tag lines.
excuse me are you talking about greg brown or wwe?

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:31 am

it does. There's a push for upcoming PPVs multiple times in a match, the forced mentions of nicknames and catchphrases, the even more forced mentions of the WWE Universe.

I only caught the second hour of the AEW show, but everything seemed more natural and freeflowing. Was it perfect? Absolutely not, but I'd rather have that vs an overly polished, robotic commentary team that seems to be the norm.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:31 am

Yes

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:35 am

Yes
Yes

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:57 am

I only caught a bit of each but man did that immediately bring me back to 90s.

Show ending. Chaos in the ring. Jim Ross and Schiavone just dumbfounded.

"What is he doing here?!"
"Wher- where did he come from?!?!"

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:17 pm

This Smackdown opening was dumb as all get out.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:18 pm

Looks like Edge has been medically cleared to return to the ring and he’s under contract with WWE.

That’s great that he’s healthy enough to return but I really have no interest in seeing yet another old timer return for one last run.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:21 pm

Hopefully Shane is off tv for good now. It's weird seeing Erin Andrews interviewing wrestlers. I feel like Raw is the least important show right now. Smackdown at least looks and feels a bit different.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:28 pm

The show has been terribad.

The wrestling poor, and the mic work sad.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:29 pm

They are flying thru everything for this show tho. Doing segments in between wrestlers entrances. They even had Hogan and Flair come out during a commercial. Matches are super fast. The Rocks entrance was even cut shorter. They made him get to the ring and actually start his promo in under 15 minutes

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:52 pm

Man you guys are tough. Up until the main event that was a solid show. Crowd was hot for almost everything, it felt important, the presentation was great. They **** over Kofi bad for a call back to a UFC feud that the average wrestling fan doesn’t care about. And man dude looked out of shape. That’s a terrible decision. It killed my interest in SD moving forward.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:38 pm

Oh also Jeff Hardy was arrested yesterday for driving while impaired. Again. Seriously **** that guy.

Cagsjr724

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Cagsjr724 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:41 am

They **** over Kofi bad for a call back to a UFC feud that the average wrestling fan doesn’t care about. And man dude looked out of shape. That’s a terrible decision. It killed my interest in SD moving forward.
I agree with you about them **** over Kofi but that crowd pop'd when Cain came out. I watched it back a few times and that place was loud when they realized it was Cain Velasquez. Yes he looked chubby but if he trains and gets into shape in time for mania, I'm "all in" no pun intended. Cain was the one who tko'd Lesnar into UFC retirement IIRC. Cain coming to do the same thing to him in the WWE is something i am invested in.

Cagsjr724

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Cagsjr724 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:45 am

So when does CM Punk show up on SmackDown?

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:53 am

One thing I noticed in very limited viewing last night...did they overrule Dunn on the filming rules? It was wayyyy less annoying watching it on FOX than all of the bullsht with rapid cuts and such on the other network.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:55 am

And yeah, Kofi got done dirty. Talk about a fcking burial. They could have at least made him look like he belongs among the Rollinses of the world.