Pro Wrasslin' Thread

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:33 pm

That to me is an easy flub to happen, but he does that every night. Beside the fact he literally can't straighten his legs when he stands, he often just gets this glassy eyed look when he's out there. Unbelievable like 4 months ago I watched a video of him doing a moonsault off the top of a cage. He's turned into one of the worst actors too, and this is in a company that employs the Bella Twins.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:03 pm

are they running out of people to induct?
I hate to quote my own post, but... maybe?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/hillbi ... ll-of-fame

I looked at his wiki page and I'm really trying to figure out what put him in the WWEHOF. No titles, 2 WM appearances, no real notable storylines.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillbilly ... 80%931990)

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:21 pm

I was surprised to hear that he wasn't already in the HOF. He was an absolute staple of the Rock n Wrestling era. Pretty sure he was even in the cartoon show. Regardless of titles or Mania appearances, he's definitely deserving of the spot. There are far less deserving people in the HOF.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:37 pm

I was surprised to hear that he wasn't already in the HOF. He was an absolute staple of the Rock n Wrestling era. Pretty sure he was even in the cartoon show. Regardless of titles or Mania appearances, he's definitely deserving of the spot. There are far less deserving people in the HOF.
I get that he was a face in the Rock n Wrestling era and was probably more popular than most despite not holding any type of hardware or even having a memorable match to his name. But I don't know, when I think of Hall Of Fame, I think of Andre The Giant, Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold, and others who have headlined matches or at the very least if you walked up a non-wrestling fan and said "Do you know______?", they'd probably tell you yes. I'm probably making more of it than what it is, especially for a HOF that doesn't even have a physical location. 8-)

But I'm sure a lot of this has to do with Jim being a good soldier and doing a lot of promotional work for Vince long after he was out of the ring.

Do I get it and see your side of it? Yeah. Do I agree with all of it? Ehhhhhhhhhh... like you said, they've put in much worse (looking your way, Rikishi.)

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:16 pm

Dude Jeff Jarrett's going to the Hall of Fame lol

slappybrown

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby slappybrown » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:36 pm

I get that he was a face in the Rock n Wrestling era and was probably more popular than most despite not holding any type of hardware or even having a memorable match to his name. But I don't know, when I think of Hall Of Fame, I think of Andre The Giant, Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold, and others who have headlined matches or at the very least if you walked up a non-wrestling fan and said "Do you know______?", they'd probably tell you yes. I'm probably making more of it than what it is, especially for a HOF that doesn't even have a physical location. 8-)

But I'm sure a lot of this has to do with Jim being a good soldier and doing a lot of promotional work for Vince long after he was out of the ring.

Do I get it and see your side of it? Yeah. Do I agree with all of it? Ehhhhhhhhhh... like you said, they've put in much worse (looking your way, Rikishi.)
I agree with js. Should not be in imo

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:54 pm

TIL Rikishi is in the WWE HOF. WTF?

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:03 pm

It’s a make-believe hall of fame. Who cares who goes in? It’s basically anyone who was over will eventually be in the HOF and Hillbilly Jim was “over like rover.”

To clarify this a bit, what I mean is we shouldn’t judge HOF merit based on title runs or feuds since this is entertainment. What it should be based on is who entertained us and you’re kidding yourself if you think Jim wasn’t entertaining or “over.” Same with Koko and Rikishi.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:17 pm

lol, Rousey just blew right through the "drum roll please" queue.

NailedPenguin

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:26 pm

Wrestling is just the worst.
The absolute dirt worst.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:50 pm

lol, Rousey just blew right through the "drum roll please" queue.
That was the sloppiest most dangerous looking Samoa drop I’ve ever seen. She’s going to hurt somebody.

NailedPenguin

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:02 pm

God, a month of promos from Kurt Angle and Rousey.

NailedPenguin

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:15 pm

RAW is death but goddamn if youre going to give me Braun and the Drifter I'll stay up for a little bit.

slappybrown

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby slappybrown » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:03 am

To clarify this a bit, what I mean is we shouldn’t judge HOF merit based on title runs or feuds since this is entertainment. What it should be based on is who entertained us and you’re kidding yourself if you think Jim wasn’t entertaining or “over.”
But these two things -- title runs/memorable feuds on one hand and being over on the other -- are not mutually exclusive. In fact, its quite the opposite; 80-90 percent of the time they overlap, and even in those 10-20% where it isn't its more that it takes time for the company to catch up to the fans. Hillbilly Jim was over-ish by virtue of being Hogan's best bud for a year or two, so the company certainly put him in a great spot, so this isn't someone who is fighting to get over despite management. He didn't do anything memorable despite that, imo.

blackjack68

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:05 am

To clarify this a bit, what I mean is we shouldn’t judge HOF merit based on title runs or feuds since this is entertainment. What it should be based on is who entertained us and you’re kidding yourself if you think Jim wasn’t entertaining or “over.”
But these two things -- title runs/memorable feuds on one hand and being over on the other -- are not mutually exclusive. In fact, its quite the opposite; 80-90 percent of the time they overlap, and even in those 10-20% where it isn't its more that it takes time for the company to catch up to the fans. Hillbilly Jim was over-ish by virtue of being Hogan's best bud for a year or two, so the company certainly put him in a great spot, so this isn't someone who is fighting to get over despite management. He didn't do anything memorable despite that, imo.
He got caught in Jersey smoking weed with his nemesis, The Iron Sheik.

slappybrown

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby slappybrown » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:05 am

That was Hacksaw Jim Duggan, no?

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:35 am

Hillbilly Jim should have been in prior to alot of people that already have been inducted. He was never a main eventer, but he had a big impact in the 80's in WWF. It's a fake HOF so in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter, but he should have been in already.

slappybrown

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby slappybrown » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 am

On this list:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WWE_Hall_of_Fame

Who do you put Hillbilly Jim in front of that is a modern era inductee, and let's say that is 1980 to the present.

columbia

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby columbia » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:40 am

20 years to induct Bob Backlund is a bad look.

NailedPenguin

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:42 pm

Too many posthumous inductees on that list :(

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:43 pm

On this list:

Who do you put Hillbilly Jim in front of that is a modern era inductee, and let's say that is 1980 to the present.
Koko B. Ware.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:48 pm

On this list:

Koko B. Ware.
Another guy who was over as hell despite not having a title run or memorable feud.

slappybrown

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby slappybrown » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:33 pm

Spoiler alert -- neither should be in.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:37 pm

This would all be more relevant if we were talking about a real HOF.

blackjack68

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:42 pm

That was Hacksaw Jim Duggan, no?
Sorry, yes. Schticks too similar to each other.