Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:41 am

Like Saraya/Paige - she was not needed. What is needed is someone to completely revamp the women's programs because they're all busts for the most part.

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:42 am

I'm tired of the ex-WWE thing, it's such low hanging fruit. They were basically the only relevant wrestling promotion for years, so basically everyone worth a damn has worked there.

I know I'm really missing the days of the Librarians and Joey Janella. Screw Moxley and Danielson.

Madden has an anti-AEW boner like they spurned him once or something so he is required to dump on them at every turn now.

AEW does have issues but it's not because of where wrestlers worked before.

The roster is bloated, that is undeniable. Some people don't get enough (or any TV time).

Tony toggles between taking too long to tell a story and then having literally nothing for the follow up once you do get there.

The women's division is handled so poorly it isn't even funny. It takes an act of God to get more than one match on a show. While they have talent, it is seldom used well.

Jade has become stale af. All she does is give the same interview every week, then occasionally has the same match. They are basically trapped there because she can only do so much, and once she loses the aura will be gone... But with every person she beats it gets less interesting.

All that said, last night's show was fun as hell. Not sure what more you could have asked for out of that.

The Acclaimed have come so far... From a popcorn fart in a mostly empty Daly's Place to 13k people coming unglued and scissoring.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:47 am

I'm tired of the ex-WWE thing, it's such low hanging fruit. They were basically the only relevant wrestling promotion for years, so basically everyone worth a damn has worked there.

I know I'm really missing the days of the Librarians and Joey Janella. Screw Moxley and Danielson.

Madden has an anti-AEW boner like they spurned him once or something so he is required to dump on them at every turn now.

AEW does have issues but it's not because of where wrestlers worked before.

The roster is bloated, that is undeniable. Some people don't get enough (or any TV time).

Tony toggles between taking too long to tell a story and then having literally nothing for the follow up once you do get there.

The women's division is handled so poorly it isn't even funny. It takes an act of God to get more than one match on a show. While they have talent, it is seldom used well.

Jade has become stale af. All she does is give the same interview every week, then occasionally has the same match. They are basically trapped there because she can only do so much, and once she loses the aura will be gone... But with every person she beats it gets less interesting.

All that said, last night's show was fun as hell. Not sure what more you could have asked for out of that.

The Acclaimed have come so far... From a popcorn fart in a mostly empty Daly's Place to 13k people coming unglued and scissoring.
This X100. I was trying to post something like this, but couldn't put it into words. I echo your thoughts and complaints in general.

The Acclaimed went from being on dark to having one of the biggest pops in a lonnnng time, making Billy Gunn over in 2022, and getting the catchphrase "Scissor me, Daddy Ass" over like rover. Completely home grown in AEW.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:48 am

It's not just that Punk, Moxley, Danielson, Jericho, etc. are there. It's that they debut on an already bloated roster, take a spot from a "home grown" guy, and beat everybody put in front of them except other ex-WWE guys. Wins and losses matter and what AEW is telling folks is that only the people who come from WWE are worth a damn.

Side note: is there anybody that really thinks Jericho should be ROH champion?

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:50 am

It's not just that Punk, Moxley, Danielson, Jericho, etc. are there. It's that they debut on an already bloated roster, take a spot from a "home grown" guy, and beat everybody put in front of them except other ex-WWE guys. Wins and losses matter and what AEW is telling folks is that only the people who come from WWE are worth a damn.

Side note: is there anybody that really thinks Jericho should be ROH champion?
Re: Jericho.. I heard rumors he got the belt because ROH was going to get a TV deal or something. Could be wrong, and I still don't like it. Claudio was just fine as ROH champ. Jericho never "needs" a belt ...he can get himself over in pretty much anything without one.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:00 am

ROH should be used as development for AEW similar to NXT. Having the 51 year old established guy beat the 41 year old established guy for the title doesn't feel right at all. Who's getting over here?

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:06 am

Claudio didn't even need the belt. He's example A of basically a mid-carder guy from WWE, who didn't need the belt, when it could have gone to a younger, established in AEW person.

Wardlow is another, got that TNT title, and it just became blah when he was ridiculously hot. The TNT title should have been the workrate title like Cody had it, and challenged with an open title every few weeks or something.

Some decisions are purposely/not purposely holding people back.

I was kind of tired of the bucks just always being in the title picture, so them being on suspension or whatever has been good. FTR not being promoted enough and used enough on the main show is strange. They're one of the hottest acts, again cooled by under usage.

Keith Lee is a fat ****, and nobody will convince me otherwise. He looks sloppy, and would do himself favors to lose weight (but he had a bunch of medical issues, he could help himself by losing weight, probably).

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:08 am

I think the main problem, is you can't keep bringing in new people, saying how good they are, and then using them for a bit while leaving the other parts of the roster behind. It's a disjointed mess, imo.

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:29 pm

My other big problem is how useless the refs are most of the time. They miss everything. It's amazing. I'm not sure why they are even around half the time.

Taz had a line last night saying "the refs are doing a great job"...and I'm like is this some sort dig or something, because the refs are in fact not doing a great job at all.
It used to just be Rick Knox, the Bucks' personal ref... He is literally useless.

But now they flat out make every ref look dumb in almost every match.

Yes, it's all a work, but like anything, there needs to be some level of believability/legitimacy or why bother watching?

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:47 am

WON is apparently reporting that as of recelently, Saraya had not been cleared. If this is true, why the **** would you sign/debut her and have all the women cower? Not to mention Taz emphasizing that she can go?

Either the report is bs or I have no idea wtf Tony is doing here.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:04 pm

I really liked Paige when she debuted in WWE. She was a much needed breath of fresh air in the “Divas” division. Her last match was almost 5 years ago now. I’d love to see her get another run after she was forced to retire but not at the expense of her health. We’re spoiled with Danielson and Edge returning. That’s not really the norm.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:57 pm

Looking forward to my weekly 2 hour escape from life with Dynamite.

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:01 pm

I'm surprised they brought back the pizza guy... he had a disastrous AMA on Reddit where people were grilling him about not being vaccinated and protecting an abuser.

Also I muted the TV because I refuse to listen to Anna Jay.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:06 pm

I'm surprised they brought back the pizza guy... he had a disastrous AMA on Reddit where people were grilling him about not being vaccinated and protecting an abuser.

Also I muted the TV because I refuse to listen to Anna Jay.
At least he got punched in the mouth. Plus Jericho and his wife are maga people so not surprising.

Finally gonna get Garcia to break away.

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:15 pm

wtf is up with Danielson's back?

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:16 pm

Cupping therapy? Not sure what it does but I've seen it before.

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:10 pm

uh what happened there? Guessing Saraya said something bad and they cut it? Really awkward.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:14 pm

uh what happened there? Guessing Saraya said something bad and they cut it? Really awkward.
S hit...rhymes with britt assuming that is what it was. They did the same to MJF earlier.

Also I know I asked for more time for the women...but that talking segment was bad.

Also Deeb is a great wrestler but the crowd gives her no reaction.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:29 pm

That was legit good match between Toni and deeb. Sadly the crowd didn't care outside of the avalanche piledriver finisher which while awesome should have been saved for a bigger show.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:54 pm

This main event is great. Bandido is awesome. Jericho taking bumps like he's 25.

Great near falls. Holy ****.

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:22 pm

Main event was indeed fire.

The women's segment... Not so much. I really wish Tony would just give someone else control of the division but he's pretty adamant about being the booker for everything, so not gonna hold my breath.

They have talent there but everything is just a mess. I just can't fathom why he pulled back on the Britt-Hayter split either. It's way past due, and it made zero sense for Hayter to just suddenly act like nothing happened.

Deeb is the best technical wrestler in the division, but she doesn't exactly kill it on the mic, in the rare event she is given time to speak anyway... And as noted, the crowd doesn't respond.

Maybe put her in the BCC and let her stretch the women while Regal talks about how awesome/violent she is?

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:00 am

Cupping therapy? Not sure what it does but I've seen it before.
It's supposed to improve blood circulation and relieve muscle tension.

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:09 am

I absolutely hate women's wrestling. They're never polished, the moves never look good or as crisp, and they fumble around with each other.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:50 am

I absolutely hate women's wrestling. They're never polished, the moves never look good or as crisp, and they fumble around with each other.
I'd argue that you're just describing bad wrestling, which isn't limited to the women's division. I've been making my way through the Attitude Era and it helps me appreciate today's wrestling, especially the women. I'd much rather watch a technically sound match between Becky and Bianca that may have a couple flubs or fumbles than any "match" with Sable, Tori, Kat, Stephanie, etc.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:10 am

The match with Toni and Serena last night was a perfectly fine wrestling match. Good technical wrestling, good psycohlogy etc. It wasn't some 5* classic, but it was fine. The crowd just didn't care (nor did they have a reason to). It just didn't really make any sense to have the match.

It's amazing how much better the women are when Britt isn't actively in the match. The lumberjack stipulation made little sense other than to have Hayter being run off I guess. It was just a shoehorned segment to get Paige/Saraya to talk and have the ladies on tv. The talking segment went on wayyyyy too long as well.

They deserve better than what Tony books them for. Alot better.