Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:01 am

That Baker picture is iconic honestly. Was a fantastic match.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:16 am

TIL that Ric Martel's "Model" theme

was later repackaged as Val Venis' theme, but with more sax

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:33 pm

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:15 pm

I love that he’s still going by his ring name. What a carny.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:46 pm

I love that he’s still going by his ring name. What a carny.
I don't know if "still" is accurate. He's been at ground temperature for quite a few years.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:49 pm

Number of camera cuts: 29
Length of switches: 63 seconds
Average time between camera switches: 2.17 seconds

and why do this on such a minor PPV?

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:51 am

Probably as a set up for mania. I miss the old Bray Wyatt character. He and the Wyatt Family were genuinely scary before he started losing every PPV. The fiend is played out.

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:38 am

Not sure why there was a ppv 3 weeks before Mania.

There were some good matches in there, particularly Reigns-Bryan, but there was no real drama because there was no way the title was switching, and the interference from Uso and Edge was obvious. All to set up the 3 way at Mania most likely but kinda puts a damper on an otherwise great match.

Orton-Bliss was so dumb. Everyone knew the Fiend was going to return, why put this as a "match" at a ppv?

The booking of Bianca and Banks since the Rumble has been dumb. Instead of building up their rivalry, they stuck them in a makeshift tag team which basically just lost repeatedly to the same team and also involved a **** sommelier. A **** sommelier. And of course some accidental bump is now the fuel to the fire for their match. :face:

The Big E-Crews, Drew-Sheamus, and Seth-Sinsuke matches were all solid enough, but they could have saved the first for Mania, the second was already on tv (with a really **** stupid ending), and the third was just kinda slapped together.

Oh wait, how could I forget R Truth hiding in an Old Spice display, then losing the 24/7 title when the rando fell on him, then immediately winning it back. That was a thing that happened.

So basically, a mostly pointless show that wasted some good matches. Most of this stuff could have just happened on Raw or Smackdown and would have been fine.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:48 am

It's one of the most annoying things about WWE.. they have wrestlers that can have good to great matches on the regular, but they refuse to do any sort of story/build worth a crap to make you care. A great match means nothing, if the story behind it sucks.

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:58 am

With Andrade being released, if I'm AEW, I'm backing up the Brinks truck to get that guy what he wants. He was a bonafide NXT star that they absolutely ruined pulling him up to the main roster.

I just don't understand why the WWE is hellbent on changing these guys so much after promotion that it kills any hype they have, and severely limits them going forward.

If I'm Adam Cole, Walter, Pete Dunne, Gargono, Ciampa, KOR and the litany of top NXT people now, I'm real hesitant to lose what I have in NXT.

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:33 pm

I'm not sure ANYONE understands it. You have someone that gets over with a certain look/gimmick, bring them up, and then rip up the script. Then when they don't get over on the main show they get buried and don't even appear until they either ask for a release or go back to NXT...

Pavel Bure

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:09 am

Probably as a set up for mania. I miss the old Bray Wyatt character. He and the Wyatt Family were genuinely scary before he started losing every PPV. The fiend is played out.
He never should have had the title, should have beat Taker, and further shouldn’t have been smashed by a 93 year old Goldberg. Those 3 things and the horrid choice of colored lighting during his matches were enough to kill anyone’s momentum.

You’d think with what happened to the Bray character originally, how hard Rotunda worked to rebuild it, and how over he was that saying “no” would have come much easier. There’s gotta be a balance between being a company guy and the protecting yourself.

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:05 am

What kind of blows my mind, is that if they had this plan for the fiend. It's not like they didn't have big monsters that could be successful without a title. Kane made that character work for 20+ years. Now the fiend is just another doink the clown, and nobody cares about that.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:32 am

WWE has a history of rushing a monster to the title. Maybe they think an unbeatable monster would obviously want to win the belt? Undertaker in 91 and Kane in 98 are two examples that come to mind right away.

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:46 am

Speaking of monsters. What is Braun Strowman now? Is he just a comedy bit?

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:56 am

Now there's a guy that WWE didn't rush to make champion and it actually hurt him.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:51 pm

My network sub expired so I had to make the move to Peacock. I signed up for that $10/4 months deal. It’s predictably terrible. So much missing content. The layout is awful and extremely difficult to navigate/find shows. I can’t imagine how much worse it’ll get once the complete archives are added.

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:52 am

I had read/heard that they were also removing objectional content/shows too.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:58 am

I logged into my WWE network account for the first time in forever. First thing I noticed I've been subscribed since Feb of 2014...so over 7 years ...yeesh.

It then says they are moving to peacock blah blah.. so I go over to sign up for the $10/4 month deal like Nocera and now I'm not even sure if I want to do that ...may just let it lapse after April 3rd or whatever as I don't even care to watch WM at this point.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:21 am

Yeah so far that Booker T/Vince "Tell me he didn't just say that" segment was removed and the entirety of Piper/Bad News Brown at WM6 was removed. It should be interesting once they add the Attitude Era Raws or basically any ECW stuff.
I logged into my WWE network account for the first time in forever. First thing I noticed I've been subscribed since Feb of 2014...so over 7 years ...yeesh.

It then says they are moving to peacock blah blah.. so I go over to sign up for the $10/4 month deal like Nocera and now I'm not even sure if I want to do that ...may just let it lapse after April 3rd or whatever as I don't even care to watch WM at this point.
Yeah I have also been subscribed since Feb 2014. I'm hopeful that that Peacock experience will get better but I only see the UI becoming more of an issue as they add more content. Peacock is set up for TV shows, not thousands of hours of wrestling content spread over multiple decades and promotions. The Network, for all of its early faults, was really a perfect subscription for a wrestling fan. It was ahead of its time, had a ridiculous amount of content, and was continuously updated with new (and old) stuff. Peacock has a lot of work to do to catch up to where the Network was and I have my doubts that it'll ever be as good.

Oh and the commercials are insanely annoying.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:21 pm

Man, I am really depressed about this move. I've been posting about my Attitude Era rewatch and now I don't even know if I feel like finishing. I get it...some stuff didn't age well but I want to watch it, warts and all.

That was always one of the most impressive things about the Network for me. Even as Vince is hardcore about making the product "family entertainment" nowadays, I was happy that they left everything uncensored on the network, because they knew what kind of fans would be drawn to the archives.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:45 pm

Man, I am really depressed about this move. I've been posting about my Attitude Era rewatch and now I don't even know if I feel like finishing. I get it...some stuff didn't age well but I want to watch it, warts and all.

That was always one of the most impressive things about the Network for me. Even as Vince is hardcore about making the product "family entertainment" nowadays, I was happy that they left everything uncensored on the network, because they knew what kind of fans would be drawn to the archives.
I'm surprised they didn't go the disclaimer route that most other streaming services have adopted.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:49 am

I had to pull up wikipedia to find out what matches were happening. So far wiki has 8 listed. Eight. Over two nights.

Night 1 (April 10)
No. Matches* Stipulations
1 Sasha Banks (c) vs. Bianca Belair Singles match for the WWE SmackDown Women's Championship
2 Bobby Lashley (c) (with MVP) vs. Drew McIntyre Singles match for the WWE Championship
Cedric Alexander and Shelton Benjamin are banned from ringside.
3 Bad Bunny (with Damian Priest) vs. The Miz (with John Morrison) Singles match
(c) – refers to the champion(s) heading into the match
*Card subject to change

Night 2 (April 11)
1 Roman Reigns (c) (with Paul Heyman) vs. Edge Singles match for the WWE Universal Championship
2 Asuka (c) vs. Rhea Ripley Singles match for the WWE Raw Women's Championship
3 The Fiend (with Alexa Bliss) vs. Randy Orton Singles match
*Card subject to change

Night TBA
1 The New Day (Kofi Kingston and Xavier Woods) (c) vs. AJ Styles and Omos Tag team match for the WWE Raw Tag Team Championship
2 Braun Strowman vs. Shane McMahon Singles match
*Card subject to change
Assuming the TBA matches get split into different nights and add four more matches, does this mean six matches a night with probably close to half of them having no build to them? This is underwhelming even by RAW standards.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:29 am

I hate the two night Manias. I also hate the 7 hour long Manias. The show should be around 4 hours and if your feud isn't big enough for the granddaddy of them all, well then, it sucks to be you. Cramming everybody onto the show just cause it's Mania may help the talent but it kills the show.

the wicked child

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby the wicked child » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:10 am

Come on now... who ISNT chomping at the bit to see Shane-Stroman?!