Pro Wrasslin' Thread

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:18 am

That goes along with when wrestling was awesome also. When the guys all had other occupations.
True, there were some awesome ones like IRS, Big Boss Man, Repo Man, Brother Love, The Mountie, and I guess The Undertaker counts too.

Then there were horrible ones like Sparky Plugg, Dean Douglas, The Roadie (before he was The Road Dogg), El Matador (and of course the much later Los Matadores.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:23 am

That goes along with when wrestling was awesome also. When the guys all had other occupations.
are you trying to steer this thread back to Repo Man?

The last one that I can think of is Primo/Epico as The Shining Stars, where their job was selling a timeshare that didn't exist.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:31 am

LOL, Therman Plugg.

Also, 26 years ago today.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:42 am

are you trying to steer this thread back to Repo Man?

I would like more Repo Man nostalgia in here, but realize he's an acquired taste.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Spangler » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:15 am

Yeah! What happened to the cool wrestler names like Duke the Dumpster Droese or Isaac Yankem DDS or Bastian Booger or Aldo Montoya: The Portuguese Man of War?
Come to think of it, are Kane and Golddulst the last two "gimmick" type wrestlers left in WWE? You have Velveteen Dream in NXT, but everyone has a real name.
Finn Balor is like 50% gimmick with his demon king persona. Or maybe with how often we see it, it's more like 10%.

If you add Kurt Angle it jumps up to 33 1/3%.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:30 am

I'm not really sure what you mean by the last two "gimmick" type wrestlers. Bray Wyatt is 100% gimmick. His supernatural powers turned the ring mat into maggots for crying out loud.

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:29 pm

Oh yea I forgot about Bray, my apologies. I'm just having a hard time remembering someone named and has some kind of ridiculous gimmick.

Undertaker
Kane
Golddust
Velveteen Dream
Bray Wyatt
Finn Balor
Aliester Black
Matt Hardy's Broken schtick
Acension
Bludgeon Brothers

NailedPenguin

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:38 pm

Since we're on the subject of people using their real names, the Raw and Nitro Retro podcast this week went over the David Flair/Eric Bischoff match; hair vs. control of the company I think. I had to go back on the network and watch. (Nitro 195) I think. Ho-ly hell that has to be the worst wrestling match I've ever seen. Talk about two guys who looked like they've never even watched wrestling before, they both looked like they've never done an athletic thing in their lives. Its only like a 3 minute match where David Flair knocks Bischoff unconscious with a roll of quarters that were supplied by the referee. It was HORRENDOUS

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Since we're on the subject of people using their real names, the Raw and Nitro Retro podcast this week went over the David Flair/Eric Bischoff match; hair vs. control of the company I think. I had to go back on the network and watch. (Nitro 195) I think. Ho-ly hell that has to be the worst wrestling match I've ever seen. Talk about two guys who looked like they've never even watched wrestling before, they both looked like they've never done an athletic thing in their lives. Its only like a 3 minute match where David Flair knocks Bischoff unconscious with a roll of quarters that were supplied by the referee. It was HORRENDOUS
Was this the one that was on Reddit like last week? Bischoff did some kind of high kick and looked like a putz.

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:55 pm

Was this the one that was on Reddit like last week? Bischoff did some kind of high kick and looked like a putz.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:04 pm

I'm not really sure what you mean by the last two "gimmick" type wrestlers. Bray Wyatt is 100% gimmick. His supernatural powers turned the ring mat into maggots for crying out loud.
I totally forgot about this. :lol:

NailedPenguin

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:06 pm

Not sure about the Reddit stuff but it was on the Nitro this week 19 years ago, so I'm betting it is. You'd almost have to train to be as bad as they were.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:20 pm

to think we're not that far from the 20th anniversary of Nitro's last episode.

I mean there are still a few years til it actually happens, but it doesn't seem like Nitro and WCW in general have been extinct for almost 17 years.
LOL, Therman Plugg.

Also, 26 years ago today.

That's not fair to Flair!!

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:51 pm

NailedPenguin

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:14 pm

I realize this may sound dumb but is this some old school throwback for RAW25, or is this how WWE ropes actually are? They just wrap electric tape around actual fiber rope? They do that with each ring set up??

https://twitter.com/GuyInGreenWWE/statu ... 3919669249

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:21 pm

That is how the ropes actually are, which is why lost of new wrestlers when they first run the ropes get their backs messed up.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Spangler » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:24 pm

During RAW, when they switched over to the Cruiserweight ring, they removed tape from the ropes during a commercial break to quickly achieve the purple-rope look. Saw them do that when the show was in town.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:27 pm

WWE is one of the only companies that uses actual rope for their ropes. WCW, TNA, ECW, and most indies use rubber padded steel cable.

NailedPenguin

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:31 pm

I learned something today.

I always new the ropes werent very forgiving and saw the marks they leave on people, but I always thought they were just super heavy, super tight cables.

slappybrown

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby slappybrown » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:37 pm

That's what I thought too.

slappybrown

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby slappybrown » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:40 pm

Also the most recent Something to Wrestle With had me genuinely crying with laughter in the car to the point that I considered pulling over. He has this bit where he's impersonating Terry Funk and talking about his short-lived Chainsaw Charlie character followed on by an extended Jim Cornette "Anyone who comes out of a box is instantaneously over" riff (that box gimmick gets me every time he brings it up on the show) that had me dying.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:47 pm

This will be the first Raw I've watched in months. Should be fun.

NailedPenguin

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:22 pm

Also the most recent Something to Wrestle With had me genuinely crying with laughter in the car to the point that I considered pulling over. He has this bit where he's impersonating Terry Funk and talking about his short-lived Chainsaw Charlie character followed on by an extended Jim Cornette "Anyone who comes out of a box is instantaneously over" riff (that box gimmick gets me every time he brings it up on the show) that had me dying.
I could listen to a 3 hour podcast of Bruce just doing his Dusty and Randy Savage impressions.

NailedPenguin

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:41 pm

Dwayne Johnson
‏@TheRock
3h3 hours ago
In honor of tonight’s @WWE’s #RAW25. Most important moment in RAW history. On this night we became the #1 wrestling show in the world.. and never looked back. My privilege to “do the honors” (lose the title) to @RealMickFoley. *crowds ELECTRICITY was incomprehensible. #goosebumps

"In honor of RAW25 I'd like to ruin the fun and remind everyone its fake and I actually agreed to lose." -- Rock deGrasse Tyson

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:15 pm

*glass shatters* still a markout moment.