Pro Wrasslin' Thread

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:59 pm

Smackdown attendance from Tuesday... yikes.

https://twitter.com/g_squared_wsp/statu ... louisville
And just think, every single action is performed to that side of the arena. You paid to go to the show and every wrestler talks to/perform moves to the **** empty side.
Sht, I didn't even think about that. Honest to God, the first thing I think is a TNA show from the early 2010s. This is one of their two centerpiece shows (I would argue that Raw/Smackdown are equivalent in the eyes of WWE). That is just bonkers.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:01 pm

It also sounds like in the eyes of Vince, women main eventing and being featured prominently are a big reason why the ratings and attendance are down.

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri May 10, 2019 8:43 am

And just think, every single action is performed to that side of the arena. You paid to go to the show and every wrestler talks to/perform moves to the **** empty side.
Hasn't this always been the case those when attendance started to dip? They prefer to fill the side where the camera points as opposed to showing an empty arena? I thought this was a commonly known thing.

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri May 10, 2019 8:52 am

It also sounds like in the eyes of Vince, women main eventing and being featured prominently are a big reason why the ratings and attendance are down.
I would say it absolutely cooled off at the end, purely because the run-up was like three months long, and they did all they could to not hurt Charlotte's feelings and include her when it wasn't necessary.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Fri May 10, 2019 11:30 am

Hasn't this always been the case those when attendance started to dip? They prefer to fill the side where the camera points as opposed to showing an empty arena? I thought this was a commonly known thing.
Yes absolutely. If it's not going to be close to a sell out, WWE will move fans seated on the hard camera side so the arena looks full on TV. Makes total sense. Doesn't make being in attendance any better, though, when every wrestler is performing to empty seats.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri May 10, 2019 11:45 am

When RAW used to go to the smaller venues, a friend of ours was arena management so she had 4 of us be the seat fillers. Moving all over the lower rows camera side to fill seats as WWF requested. We were in high school so thought it was fun.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Fri May 10, 2019 11:54 am

That would be awesome. Around what year was that?

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri May 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Late 90's. Then I think a few times in the early 2000's for what had to be Smackdown tapings but I can't remember for sure. I do remember drinking while doing it so it had to be around that era. Drunk college kids at a pro wrestling show getting put on tv almost at all times, what could go wrong?

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Fri May 10, 2019 12:37 pm

Late 90's. Then I think a few times in the early 2000's for what had to be Smackdown tapings but I can't remember for sure. I do remember drinking while doing it so it had to be around that era. Drunk college kids at a pro wrestling show getting put on tv almost at all times, what could go wrong?
Well **** you got to see Attitude Era Raw & SD for free? AND get drunk? I'm jealous. I assumed you were talking about like 1994 era Raw.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 10, 2019 12:52 pm

Well **** you got to see Attitude Era Raw & SD for free? AND get drunk? I'm jealous.
:thumb: :lol:

NailedPenguin

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri May 10, 2019 2:17 pm

Ha. Yeah. One of the most vivid memories I have of those shows was RAW was from Wheeling like the Monday or two before WrestleMania. (That makes me laugh to even type it) Rumor all around town was Mike Tyson himself was going to be there. Of course he wasn't. Shawn Michaels was on the tron "Via satellite from his home in San Antonio." Except he was sitting in the bar area of the arena. There were pictures of our damn hockey team on the walls behind him so everyone knew he was there :) .

LOL and after a quick search I found this recap of the end. I was pumped to go home and tell my dad what happened after they went off the air because he watched at home on tv.
WWF: Raw is War
March 9, 1998
Wheeling, WV
Wheeling Civic Center

Triple H (w/Chyna) vs. Savio Vega
Refs and agents surround the ring to ensure Triple H some extra security after Steve Austin threatened him earlier in the show. Not even thirty seconds after the bell sounds, Austin walks tall into the ring. STUNNER to Gerald Brisco! STUNNER to Mike Chioda! STUNNER to Savio Vega! Hey wait, Shawn Michaels is here! IT WAS ALL A SETUP! As Austin turns around, he eats another SWEET CHIN MUSIC this week! Helmsley celebrates and mounts Austin for added insult to injury. Chyna hands Michaels a chair and as they sit Austin up to take a shot to the cranium, we run out of TV time.

slappybrown

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby slappybrown » Fri May 10, 2019 2:18 pm

Ha. Yeah. One of the most vivid memories I have of those shows was RAW was from Wheeling like the Monday or two before WrestleMania. (That makes me laugh to even type it) Rumor all around town was Mike Tyson himself was going to be there. Of course he wasn't. Shawn Michaels was on the tron "Via satellite from his home in San Antonio." Except he was sitting in the bar area of the arena. There were pictures of our damn hockey team on the walls behind him so everyone knew he was there :) .

LOL and after a quick search I found this recap of the end. I was pumped to go home and tell my dad what happened after they went off the air because he watched at home on tv.
March 9, 1998
Wheeling, WV
Wheeling Civic Center

Refs and agents surround the ring to ensure Triple H some extra security after Steve Austin threatened him earlier in the show. Not even thirty seconds after the bell sounds, Austin walks tall into the ring. STUNNER to Gerald Brisco! STUNNER to Mike Chioda! STUNNER to Savio Vega! Hey wait, Shawn Michaels is here! IT WAS ALL A SETUP! As Austin turns around, he eats another SWEET CHIN MUSIC this week! Helmsley celebrates and mounts Austin for added insult to injury. Chyna hands Michaels a chair and as they sit Austin up to take a shot to the cranium, we run out of TV time.
Well? WHAT HAPPENED WHEN THEY WENT OFF AIR

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Fri May 10, 2019 2:20 pm

I vividly remember Shawn sitting at a table that had the Wheeling Civic Center logo on it. I didn't attend, just watched at home and I don't know why I remember that.

NailedPenguin

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri May 10, 2019 2:21 pm

March 9, 1998
Wheeling, WV
Wheeling Civic Center

Well? WHAT HAPPENED WHEN THEY WENT OFF AIR

IM OUTTA TIME I'LL SEE YA NEXT WE--..

NailedPenguin

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri May 10, 2019 2:26 pm

I want to say Austin fought out of it and then just stunned everyone he could get his hands on, but the more I think about it, I think Michaels did nail him with the chair, a few crotch chops and everyone went home.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:11 pm

Damn, that was a wonderful time.

Has anyone else been watching the AEW promos for Double or Nothing? Here is Cody Rhodes' promo below... it is fcking fantastic. I really hope they find success.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:15 pm

I will also say, AEW is doing an absolutely fantastic job of chronicling their growth through the Youtube medium. It is refreshingly transparent, unique, fresh, and fun. Honestly, with WWE going into the tank, this is as good a time as any.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 10, 2019 9:48 pm

TIL...re: All In
The event is notable for being the first non-WWE or World Championship Wrestling promoted professional wrestling event in the United States to sell 10,000 tickets since 1993.
Wow.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri May 10, 2019 11:13 pm

Watching an old episode of Saturday's Main Event. Jake the Snake Roberts and the Macho Man Randy Savage with an epic match.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Sat May 11, 2019 12:15 am

I will also say, AEW is doing an absolutely fantastic job of chronicling their growth through the Youtube medium. It is refreshingly transparent, unique, fresh, and fun. Honestly, with WWE going into the tank, this is as good a time as any.
Unfortunately they’re planning on charging $65 for Double or Nothing on PPV. I wouldn’t spend that on any event.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:34 am

Watching an old episode of Saturday's Main Event. Jake the Snake Roberts and the Macho Man Randy Savage with an epic match.

Man, I forgot how great Jake's promos were. His promo before his Million Dollar Man match was superb.

Ad@m

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Ad@m » Sun May 12, 2019 11:13 am

RIP Silver King

:shock: Dies after collapsing in the ring

https://www.msn.com/en-us/entertainment ... smsnnews11
Caution: “Not for the faint of heart”

https://youtu.be/AKj2loc7IQE

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Spangler » Sun May 12, 2019 1:18 pm

Wow, the delay to attend to him was terrible.

NailedPenguin

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon May 13, 2019 10:37 pm

Peewee's Brayhouse went in a bit of an unexpected direction.

Pavel Bure

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue May 14, 2019 6:44 am

Peewee's Brayhouse went in a bit of an unexpected direction.
Turned into that skid hard eh.