Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue May 07, 2019 10:16 am

One thing Reddit called out, is that they must be concerned with their ratings for RAW at least because, for the past two weeks, the YoutTube channel hasn't been uploading the immediate highlights during the actual show.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Tue May 07, 2019 10:19 am

One thing Reddit called out, is that they must be concerned with their ratings for RAW at least because, for the past two weeks, the YoutTube channel hasn't been uploading the immediate highlights during the actual show.
:lol: They were uploading highlights DURING the show? This company is so stupid.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue May 07, 2019 1:28 pm

Wait until you guys see the segment where the Usos put IcyHot in Dash and Dawson's ring trunks.

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue May 07, 2019 1:54 pm

Oh I saw it, it was embarrassing. I hope those guys do well in AEW, because they're worth way more to whoever they're going to, rather than WWE.

I just watched Y2K's debut and CM Punk's Promo. It just doesn't feel like there's anyone that can speak like that on the microphone to get anyone heated. It's all copy and paste tough guy talk, but the way those guys had the crowd reacting on the mic was ridiculous.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue May 07, 2019 2:07 pm

There are guys on the roster that can garner that kind of heat. The problem is they don't let any of them do their own promos. Everything is scripted to the word. It sounds so forced.

I honestly haven't watched more than 10 minutes or Raw or Smackdown in a while. It's all bad. Really bad. Their ratings are tanked pretty much at this point, but they still make money cause of their TV deals and network, and the saudi arabia blood money etc.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Tue May 07, 2019 2:07 pm

Source of the post I just watched Y2K's debut and CM Punk's Promo. It just doesn't feel like there's anyone that can speak like that on the microphone to get anyone heated. It's all copy and paste tough guy talk, but the way those guys had the crowd reacting on the mic was ridiculous.
I think there are plenty of people who can talk but they simply aren't allowed. The promos are scripted down to the syllable. Not only are they expected to say exactly what's on the page, they're expected to memorize 20 minute promos. So when they're on the mic, they're concentrating on remembering their lines and nailing the script rather than the emotion of the "scene." Guarantee if they went back to bullet point scripts with a general idea of where they needed to go, promo segments would instantly improve. Maybe not to the level of Y2J, Rock, Austin, Punk. The current batch doesn't have the experience level of those guys. But it would definitely be better than bad actors reading a bad script written by bad reality tv show writers.

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue May 07, 2019 2:12 pm

what I don't understand though is what is the benefit of scripts versus bullet points.

I think the more natural sounding allows for taglines to be created naturally. The whole "BIG DAWG" thing is a prime example, they've been forcing that nickname for years.

Rock called someone a jabroni one night and it forever changed how people spoke in regards to making fun of something.

But again, this goes back to the WWE not wanting stars, and want the wwe brand to be totally stable. Low ratings and them being worried about it speaks directly to not having a mega start who can drive a show. Becky was that, but now that Rousey is gone? Who cares?

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Tue May 07, 2019 2:17 pm

what I don't understand though is what is the benefit of scripts versus bullet points.

I think the more natural sounding allows for taglines to be created naturally. The whole "BIG DAWG" thing is a prime example, they've been forcing that nickname for years.

Rock called someone a jabroni one night and it forever changed how people spoke in regards to making fun of something.

But again, this goes back to the WWE not wanting stars, and want the wwe brand to be totally stable. Low ratings and them being worried about it speaks directly to not having a mega start who can drive a show. Becky was that, but now that Rousey is gone? Who cares?
It's about control. By having the wrestlers stick to the script, it puts control of everything from the broad story to minute verbiage in the hands of the writers (aka Vince).

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue May 07, 2019 2:20 pm

It is crazy how NXT and WWE feel so different from each other. I don't know how much control the writers have at lower levels, but seeing those people get called up, then absolutely smashed into dumb things on the main roster is sad.

Warmachine being one, AOP (prior to injury), Andrade, Revival, in a way Aleister Black and Richochet.

Gonna stink when Velveteen Dream gets called up and they make him legit Golddust 2.0.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Tue May 07, 2019 2:26 pm

Yeah for sure. You get the feeling that HHH and Vince have very different opinions on how wrestling should be presented. It will be interesting when Vince croaks (at age 120) and HHH/Steph take the reins.

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue May 07, 2019 2:41 pm

There was also something interesting I read earlier this morning that the superstar shakeup is a fail, and the wildcard scenario won't work, because both networks don't want to cross-promote stars.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Tue May 07, 2019 2:59 pm

I like the brand split and its' a mistake to dismantle it based on poor ratings. The roster isn't the reason for the decline.

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Tue May 07, 2019 3:46 pm

I like the brand split and its' a mistake to dismantle it based on poor ratings. The roster isn't the reason for the decline.
I don't disagree, it's just that right now, you're asking a team that has quite clearly shown on RAW they can't write for ****, to handle multiple superstars moving back and forth.

I don't see it being a winning scenario.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Spangler » Tue May 07, 2019 3:53 pm

I saw a thread on reddit stating that WWE made 237 announcements on social media for RAW and Smackdown, but only 95 actually happened.

I wonder why fans feel disappointed?

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue May 07, 2019 4:04 pm

On the flip side on Observer Live yesterday Alvarez said something like there were 45 of those types of announcements for NXT, and they went through with every single one. Granted, they don't have the luxury of going live so Vince can rewrite the script 6 minutes before, but its amazing the differences.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:54 pm

Yeah for sure. You get the feeling that HHH and Vince have very different opinions on how wrestling should be presented. It will be interesting when Vince croaks (at age 120) and HHH/Steph take the reins.
Back in the 90s, they didn't rehearse anything, as you mentioned. I think that Vince has just gotten to be more and more of a control freak as he has gotten older. Everything now is *too* polished and delivered. Some of the greatest promos/moments of the AE/Ruthless Aggression Era/Punk era were ad-libbed/freewheeling. It's insane how much rehearsal goes into it now.

NailedPenguin

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed May 08, 2019 9:41 am

In peak WWE fashion, since we're all morons with memories of tree stumps, they are making it a point to mention the WC rule every 2 minutes. The shakeup was what, 2 weeks ago? Styles, the Usos, the Miz have been on SmackDown for freaking ever. Years. They're on RAW for a 1 or 2 episodes and showed back up last night.
Each and every time someone had to act shocked like they had no idea why this person showed up on smackdown when "youre a RAW guy now?!?" And then that person had to thoroughly explain "well thanks to the new Wild Card rule, where members of the RAW roster can go to smackdown and members of smack down can go to RAW.." It's both hilarious and infuriating.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Wed May 08, 2019 6:37 pm

Lars Sullivan is apparently super racist and Big E just called him out on Twitter. Hopefully we won’t be seeing him anymore.

And in other “wonder why ratings are ****” news, WWE is sending the Bella Twins to the NBC upfronts and Cena, Steph, Rousey, and HHH to the Fox upfronts. That’s right, no active wrestlers. Way to go, WWE.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu May 09, 2019 5:45 pm

Smackdown attendance from Tuesday... yikes.

https://twitter.com/g_squared_wsp/statu ... louisville

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu May 09, 2019 6:32 pm

wow.

I saw on Reddit or twitter that somebody had mentioned this, and there was a response that was like "no it isn't, it's full." They did this three second scan of the audience, and obviously it' didn't include the empty side.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 09, 2019 7:20 pm

That is straight up alarming. It's crazy seeing sold out arenas for both shows during the AE

Pavel Bure

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu May 09, 2019 8:05 pm

They are really putting the screws to Luke Harper. He supposedly asked Vince directly to be let out of his contract at the original stated time since they’re not going to use him. Vince told him to talk to Paul Levesque and HHH ghosted Luke when he reached out.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Thu May 09, 2019 8:08 pm

And just think, every single action is performed to that side of the arena. You paid to go to the show and every wrestler talks to/perform moves to the **** empty side.

slappybrown

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby slappybrown » Thu May 09, 2019 8:28 pm

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:56 pm

Andy is a damned treasure. Just sucks he died so young.