Pro Wrasslin' Thread

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 14, 2019 8:44 am

Peewee's Brayhouse went in a bit of an unexpected direction.
Turned into that skid hard eh.
Don't worry, he will be jobbing to mid-carders soon enough.

Pavel Bure

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue May 14, 2019 10:53 am

Peewee's Brayhouse went in a bit of an unexpected direction.
Turned into that skid hard eh.
Don't worry, he will be jobbing to mid-carders soon enough.
The only way this continues to work is if they book him big instantly and have him win. He honestly doesn’t need a belt and should be more of a WCW Sting kind of vibe imo.

Someone said it would be interesting if he takes the MITB briefcase and disappears this weekend.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Spangler » Wed May 15, 2019 2:33 am

Absolutely NO ONE can get through to Vince. WWE really will be better when HHH takes control.

https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/tripl ... on-in-wwe/

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:33 am

Absolutely NO ONE can get through to Vince. WWE really will be better when HHH takes control.

https://wrestlingnews.co/wwe-news/tripl ... on-in-wwe/
That's awful. I'm sure Prichard was not going to turn down the money going back but he strikes me as a very rational, pragmatic guy. I honestly wonder how long even he will be able to tolerate it. The thing is, I can see he and HHH working very well together if Vince ever croaks.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed May 15, 2019 8:40 am

All-Elite Wrestling (Cody Rhodes organization) has a TV deal with TNT.

https://twitter.com/tntdrama/status/1128632147248668673

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed May 15, 2019 8:44 am

I heard on a podcast this weekend that the Observer reported Vince actually cancelled a Smackdown house show last Monday because he wanted all hands on deck for that stupid Wild Card rule he pulled halfway out of his ass. Imagine having tickets to a show and cancelled a few days before because of that nonsense. So Reigns, Bryan, and Kofi can come out and cut promos.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Wed May 15, 2019 10:15 am

Aw ****. Guess who's back in the rasslin' business.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:19 pm

Aw ****. Guess who's back in the rasslin' business.
Billionaire Ted! In all seriousness this is exciting.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Spangler » Wed May 15, 2019 8:41 pm

Glad We wont have to jump through hoops to watch AEW if I want. If it was in some unknown channel, I’d likely forget about most of the time.

Pavel Bure

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed May 15, 2019 10:28 pm

Glad We wont have to jump through hoops to watch AEW if I want. If it was in some unknown channel, I’d likely forget about most of the time.
Saw an advert for their upcoming PPV. I feel like the approach should be more of something like a vignette that would intro someone like say Kenny Omega and then show what e can do a highlight package, then finish with Kenny with a call to action to watch him do those awesome things by ordering the event.

Of course if AEW is happy just getting the hardcore wrestling fan then that’s fine to I guess.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:41 am

I hope they succeed if for nothing else other than to provide some other alternative on TV for wrestling and maybe give WWE a bit of a nudge to at least try to not be awful.

I do think though charging 50$ for this PPV is a bad bad idea. No one pays that kind of cash to watch a wrestling PPV these days. It seems to be the only option to watch it too...so i think that is their first mistake. Still hope they do well though.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Thu May 16, 2019 9:46 am

Yeah, it's incredibly dumb. It will also be streaming on B/R Live (which I had never heard of until the announcement) but even that will cost $49.99. How can anyone justify paying that when streamables of every big moment will be on squared circle 30 seconds after it happens?

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:48 am

I guess they are counting on the diehards or just people who are genuinely interested to plop down the money, but I don't see it happening. It just seems like a bad business move from a company that so far has been making smart decisions.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Thu May 16, 2019 9:57 am

The diehard wrestling audience is too small and niche to count on. On top of that, even the diehards are saying they're not paying $50 for one PPV. I'm sure it'll be successful in that it's a great show with amazing wrestling. But that buy-rate is going to be mud.

Freddy Rumsen

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu May 16, 2019 10:19 am

The biggest problem with wrestling today is that few of the wrestlers "get it" about the product. The wrestling itself is bad, and the matches themselves don't tell stories the way they used to.

And that is not an "Attitude-era was myopically better" thought.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:25 am

The biggest problem with wrestling today is that few of the wrestlers "get it" about the product. The wrestling itself is bad, and the matches themselves don't tell stories the way they used to.

I think the wrestlers get it. I think they know how to go out and tell a story. I think the people who book the matches and write the script don't "get it". The wrestlers don't get a chance to tell a story when don't have any freedom in the ring and have to have a TV style match how Vinnie Mac wants it. Then they are given word by word promos to go out and say.... nothing is organic. That's on the people running the show not the guys in the ring.

Freddy Rumsen

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu May 16, 2019 10:30 am

I think the wrestlers get it. I think they know how to go out and tell a story. I think the people who book the matches and write the script don't "get it". The wrestlers don't get a chance to tell a story when don't have any freedom in the ring and have to have a TV style match how Vinnie Mac wants it. Then they are given word by word promos to go out and say.... nothing is organic. That's on the people running the show not the guys in the ring.
I think it is a both/and thing.

It's why ROH and others are not any better than WWE. Lucha Underground is about the closest we've seen to what made wrestling, wrestling.

There is some truth to the fact NXT is legit in that way as well.

Pavel Bure

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu May 16, 2019 10:50 am

The more I think about that AEW promo the more I hate it. It’s produced like a UFC type face off but you don’t know who anyone is and it’s not a recognizable brand. Hopefully they learn from this upcoming flop.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Thu May 16, 2019 10:56 am

What exactly don't the wrestlers "get?" What don't you like about the matches? Stories are told consistently in most matches where they are given time. Maybe the wrestlers don't sell as much as they used to, but every past generation of wrestlers says that about the current ones. Wrestling styles have always changed and evolved. The wrestling is not the problem.

Pavel Bure

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu May 16, 2019 11:57 am

What exactly don't the wrestlers "get?" What don't you like about the matches? Stories are told consistently in most matches where they are given time. Maybe the wrestlers don't sell as much as they used to, but every past generation of wrestlers says that about the current ones. Wrestling styles have always changed and evolved. The wrestling is not the problem.
Yeah I mean look at the story of Daniel Bryan and Kofi at Wrestlemania. It was great ring psychology and in ring story telling. Those matches can happen and the guys do get it but I’d say now more than ever Vince and the WWE caters to shareholders which means clean, tight, extremely scripted pacing to make room for the money from this yummy ads people see over the 5 hours of wrestling TV per week.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:22 pm

Yup, I think there is more talent nowadays than people think. It's just horribly wasted.

I also agree that AEW is charging wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy too much money. You need to get more people to watch this to generate interest.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Thu May 16, 2019 12:29 pm

Ric Flair has been hospitalized after a "very serious" medical emergency.
https://www.tmz.com/2019/05/16/ric-flai ... emergency/

No specifics yet but you have to feel for Charlotte who is currently on the European tour.

Pavel Bure

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu May 16, 2019 12:43 pm

Ric Flair has been hospitalized after a "very serious" medical emergency.
https://www.tmz.com/2019/05/16/ric-flai ... emergency/

No specifics yet but you have to feel for Charlotte who is currently on the European tour.
Except that her face doesn’t move so no one knows if she’s sad or not.

I’m going to hell

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:45 pm

Man, I got a bad feeling about Ric...seems like he's past his expiration date.

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Thu May 16, 2019 12:54 pm

Honestly, out of the wrestlers who have died early. I am surprised he's made it this far by a large degree.