Pro Wrasslin' Thread

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:34 pm

It's been so weird seeing promos for Smackdown during NFL and college games. They also announced a 2 night draft on the first Friday then RAW on Monday. So the brand split is back for Fox. I'm sure they want their own defined stars. WWE is too big to fail but I just can't imagine a live Friday night show with these writers making the money to justify what Fox paid for it.

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:51 pm

It wasn’t bad. Nice to see Harper back. The matches were mostly enjoyable save for the Miz/Nakamura. The highlight of the night was the Fiend at the end. And it got a big pop too, which means WWE will blow it and have him lose at Hell in a Cell.
I still think they're gonna screw up everything with Bray, where they're gonna make him more corny kids' show host than fiend. I'm still not 100% with the character, but I'm giving them a B for effort to at least trying to reinvent it.

Missed the PPV last night. Had I not gone to a show, odds are I would have forgotten about it anyways. What did they do with Harper?
Someone mentioned it on Reddit, that they're making Seth the monster killer while trying to build these guys up as legit threats. It made sense to me, given that it took four finishers to defeat Bray.

I think that's the only way they keep the Fiend clean next PPV, by having him take a ton of offense to lose. Anything other than that type of loss is terrible for the character, imo.

Pavel Bure

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:58 pm

It wasn’t bad. Nice to see Harper back. The matches were mostly enjoyable save for the Miz/Nakamura. The highlight of the night was the Fiend at the end. And it got a big pop too, which means WWE will blow it and have him lose at Hell in a Cell.
I still think they're gonna screw up everything with Bray, where they're gonna make him more corny kids' show host than fiend. I'm still not 100% with the character, but I'm giving them a B for effort to at least trying to reinvent it.

Missed the PPV last night. Had I not gone to a show, odds are I would have forgotten about it anyways. What did they do with Harper?
Someone mentioned it on Reddit, that they're making Seth the monster killer while trying to build these guys up as legit threats. It made sense to me, given that it took four finishers to defeat Bray.

I think that's the only way they keep the Fiend clean next PPV, by having him take a ton of offense to lose. Anything other than that type of loss is terrible for the character, imo.
They need the Fiend’s version of a casket match. Just when he’s about to lose, lights out, lights back on Seth in casket (not closed) Fiend standing in middle of ring. Seth friends rescue him and run to the back.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:33 pm

If Fiend loses in any way, his character is immensely hurt. It doesn't matter how much offense he gets in before he loses. WWE forgot how to get monsters over.

Imagine if Hogan had dispatched The Undertaker immediately in '91. It would have cut his legs out from under him and he'd be just another Bundy, Boss Man, Earthquake, etc. monster that tried to take down Hulkamania and failed. Taker winning the title from Hogan (even with outside interference from Flair) firmly planted him as a top guy and a dude to be feared.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:05 pm

speaking of monsters that failed. The Monster among Men is now like 0-8 in Universal title shots.

Morkle

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:12 pm

I don't think he needs the title but would like to see him carry it for a while.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:21 pm

Not sure how these ever saw the light of day, but this is a tremendously fun eight minutes.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:51 pm

I cannot believe how bad this fcking announce team is

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:12 pm

I'm willing to bet that Michael Cole would actually be a great announcer if he didn't constantly have some dadhole yelling in his ear to spot off corporate's latest talking points. Currently, it's all about nicknames. IT'S BOSS TIME! THE FIEND BRAY WYATT! THE BEAST SLAYER! THE PHENOMENAL ONE! THE MAN! THE MONSTER AMONG MEN! You get it...

I mean, look at the **** title of that YouTube clip. It's not just "Kane" it's "Demon Kane."

On top of that, they don't let any moments breathe. Just shut the **** up every now and then, but no. You have to get their names in, the name of the **** show, what's currently trending, the next PPV's name, etc.

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:40 pm

Cole may not be great without Vince in his ear, but he would be pretty damn good I think. Like you said.. everything sounds so forced, and that comes straight from Vince because he thinks his audience is dumb.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:48 pm

I'm willing to bet that Michael Cole would actually be a great announcer if he didn't constantly have some dadhole yelling in his ear to spot off corporate's latest talking points. Currently, it's all about nicknames. IT'S BOSS TIME! THE FIEND BRAY WYATT! THE BEAST SLAYER! THE PHENOMENAL ONE! THE MAN! THE MONSTER AMONG MEN! You get it...

I mean, look at the **** title of that YouTube clip. It's not just "Kane" it's "Demon Kane."

On top of that, they don't let any moments breathe. Just shut the **** up every now and then, but no. You have to get their names in, the name of the **** show, what's currently trending, the next PPV's name, etc.
There was an overseas show either last year or the year before that Cole was doing pbp and Vince didn't make the trip. You could just tell it was different. Might have been a UK show or maybe even a show in Japan.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:03 pm

In case there was any doubt which show is the "A" show now that SD is on Fox, WWE announced new commentary teams for all shows.
. Raw’s new announce team will include play-by-play from Vic Joseph with Dio Maddin and WWE Hall of Famer Jerry “The King” Lawler serving as analysts; NXT play-by-play will be called by Mauro Ranallo with Beth Phoenix and Nigel McGuiness as analysts; and SmackDown will feature Michael Cole handling play-by-play, Corey Graves serving as analyst and Renee Young as a Special Contributor.
https://www.wwe.com/shows/raw/article/w ... e-coverage

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:43 pm

apparently Johnny Morrison/Mundo/Impact is returning to WWE.

No link, just saw it mentioned on reddit. I didn't think he left on the best of terms.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:36 pm

Anyone else find that Renee Young adds nothing to the commentary? Her delivery is so flat most of the time.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 26, 2019 6:11 pm

Anyone else find that Renee Young adds nothing to the commentary? Her delivery is so flat most of the time.
She’s a much better host than a commentator. She will be great in her new (old) role.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:24 am

her contributions to commentary are 99% "OOOOOOH!" and "oh!"

Good host, but not so good on commentary.

Spangler
Location: Spangler the t-shirt; Spangler the lunchbox; Spangler the flamethrower!

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby Spangler » Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:24 pm

apparently Johnny Morrison/Mundo/Impact is returning to WWE.

No link, just saw it mentioned on reddit. I didn't think he left on the best of terms.
You probably only listed 10% of his names.

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:55 am

Word is CM Punk auditioned for an on-air role on FS1's new WWE Backstage show and he's likely to get hired. That is crazy. FOX would only hire Punk if WWE was okay with it and rumor has it Punk would also likely get a Lesnar/Goldberg type deal to come back and wrestle.

My guess is if this does happen, Backstage will be used to kickstart the angle that leads to Punk's in-ring return at Mania. I don't think he'll return to the ring full time, but I can see him having one last match as a send off seeing as his current final match is that horrible Rumble from Pittsburgh.

iamjs

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby iamjs » Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:55 am

RIP to Rick Bognar, or more famously known as Fake Razor Ramon.

Only 49 years old.

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:39 pm

I know it's a recent trend, but the latest WWE marketing bullsht gimmick of names is annoying.

"THE FIEND" BRAY WYATT.

"THE BEAST INCARNATE" BROCK LESNAR.

etc. It's like on one hand they crap all over kayfabe and then they have these ridiculous gimmicks. Which one will it be?

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:44 pm

By the way, it looks like Raw was pretty decent last night. I watched a few highlights and enjoyed what I saw, especially Brock tossing Mysterio & son around. Also, the new set is bad ass. Oh and pyro is back!

shafnutz05

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:50 pm

By the way, it looks like Raw was pretty decent last night. I watched a few highlights and enjoyed what I saw, especially Brock tossing Mysterio & son around. Also, the new set is bad ass. Oh and pyro is back!
And Lawler on commentary. He can't do the hysterical shriek like he used to but he tries.

NailedPenguin

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby NailedPenguin » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:10 pm

The first hour was good, then it fell off a cliff. Did anybody see that weird ass ending?

nocera

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:12 pm

The first hour was good, then it fell off a cliff. Did anybody see that weird ass ending?
You mean you didn't enjoy watching Lashley and Lana make out for what felt like 20 minutes?

skullman80

Pro Wrasslin' Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 2:39 pm

I tuned in and saw Brock tossing Rey's son around. Kid can bump pretty good. It's funny to see people still think it's "real" on social media. Didn't see much after that, but from the wrapup... it seemed like after the first hour it kind of stagnated.