Cooking and Dining

robbiestoupe

Cooking and Dining

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:23 pm

Have you ever used this particular unit? If it's fresh out of the box, perhaps the motor bearings need a little work. Try turning by hand if you can.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:08 pm

This was actually my first Joule, so it was the only one I had for four or five months. And it stayed the prime unit (heh) for about a year, before I started using the newer one more often.

The impeller spins when moved manually, but it does feel a bit sticky. I disassembled the bottom of the unit and scrubbed it, and I now have it sitting in a water-white vinegar cleaning solution now; I'll let it soak for an hour or so before trying the clean cycle again.

robbiestoupe

Cooking and Dining

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:34 am

This was actually my first Joule, so it was the only one I had for four or five months. And it stayed the prime unit (heh) for about a year, before I started using the newer one more often.

The impeller spins when moved manually, but it does feel a bit sticky. I disassembled the bottom of the unit and scrubbed it, and I now have it sitting in a water-white vinegar cleaning solution now; I'll let it soak for an hour or so before trying the clean cycle again.
That would have been my suggestion if you had already used it. Probably a bit gunked up. Most likely the unit was getting an overcurrent warning

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:42 am

Yeah, I opened it up and removed the impeller and there's a film of....... stuff (?) covering the inside bit. It's actually in both Joules, so it looks like I need to get a wire brush thingy to scrub them clean.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:32 pm

ChefSteps is sending me a replacement Joule, which is righteous of them as my warranty period ended over a year ago.

Dickie Dunn

Cooking and Dining

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:48 pm

I love 99% of the videos Bon Appetit puts out, but this "Perfect Thanksgiving" series has been a disappointment. Brad and Andy with the turkey was excellent and the best video in the series. Molly and Carla spent a video dodinting about preferring crispy potatoes to mashed potatoes and then made mashed potatoes that are thinner than canned soup, Chris and Rick make some bullshit "fried rice" stuffing using ground corn nuts, and then this week Claire and Christina decide that the perfect sides is **** brussel sprouts and a **** salad.

THIS IS A BAD THANKSGIVING

MrKennethTKangaroo

Cooking and Dining

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:51 pm

stick to the mommy receipes

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:47 am

Bad take re the BA Thanksgiving videos imo

Those mashed patates are in the vein of the pomme puree made famous by Joël Robuchon, which combine the pureed patates with 50% by weight of butter with some milk to adjust texture. They are ethereal, and that is going to be my contribution to the T-Day table this year, and I will be adding the Carla-Molly crispy bits for contrast.

(The correct answer for Thanksgiving is, obvi, mashed patates; roasted patates are preferred, generally, but you make them throughout the year. When else do you ever make mashed patates? And also, hard roasted Brussels sprouts are glorious.)

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Cooking and Dining

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:15 am

A buddy of mine brought over a shopping bag full of collards last night and I cooked them down and now I have five pounds of good stuff.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:18 am

We got a crazy amount of kale from our CSA on the last pick up. I wilted it down, chopped it, froze it. It's really great for adding a bit of greens here and there while cooking.

Dickie Dunn

Cooking and Dining

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:22 am

Pomme puree can **** off and Joel Robuchon looks like a short haired version of HR Giger.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:52 am

I mean, he was only the most starred chef in this history of the Michelin guide, what did he know.

Dickie Dunn

Cooking and Dining

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:00 am

Probably something about cooking, but looking at him it's not hard to imagine that he likes bruises, that inky black space is his favorite color, and that he's afraid of scare bags.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:05 am

You can't Travel Bug reference your way out of this, Double D.

#lowT

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:23 am

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews ... llet-grill

Anyone got a spare $1200 I can borrow?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:27 am

Wife and I are staying home and having Thanksgiving as our little family this year. We came to the realization that our favorite part about Thanksgiving is the sides. We don't even like the turkey (or in years past we sub in chicken). So we're just going all starch and veg this year. Not necessarily vegetarians as we'll use stock for gravy and whatnot, but no bird.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:30 am

The sides are life. The only way I've gotten any enjoyment out of turkey over the years is finding new preparations, like turchetta or roulade. Didn't we have a thread dedicated to Thanksgiving sides?

shafnutz05

Cooking and Dining

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:31 pm

Wife and I are staying home and having Thanksgiving as our little family this year. We came to the realization that our favorite part about Thanksgiving is the sides. We don't even like the turkey (or in years past we sub in chicken). So we're just going all starch and veg this year. Not necessarily vegetarians as we'll use stock for gravy and whatnot, but no bird.
Nice...yeah, the sides make Thanksgiving, and quite honestly the turkey just fulfills the necessary protein requirement. That said, I have only cooked a proper turkey one time, and it turned out pretty solid. I put dabs of butter between the skin and the meat, and that made a huge difference (obviously :lol: )

My wife and I might invite our neighbors over (older couple with relatives far away), but that's about it....will be a nice quiet Thanksgiving. Now granted, a prominent reason for that is that we are not speaking to my narcissistic lunatic of a sister-in-law, but that's a topic for another day. :)

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:36 pm

This will be the first year in over a decade that I'm not in charge of the Thanksgiving table. We're going to our friends' home in El Segundo, and I'm just doing mashed patates. (I'll probably do something else, like an herb oil or something, to give as a gift) Ordinarily, at this point I'd have a spreadsheet with a color-coded timeline for each job and I'd already have some prep work banged out. This year, I'm going to the store tomorrow, and not even thinking about cooking until Thursday morning. Feels both good and weird.

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:48 pm

We're staying home Thursday too - can't wait. lil mac has a dairy allergy and I am gonna make him a full meal that he can actually eat, since my mother in law doesn't seem to get it. We went over to her house yesterday and she's trying to give him stuffing, corn, and mashed potatoes (all made with butter) and turkey that was injected...with butter.

The last time he had eggs cooked in a skillet with a pad of butter we almost ended up at the ER.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:56 pm

Ooh, that's rough. Butter is low enough in lactose that you can often get away with it in a dairy-free diet, but geesh.

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:22 pm

What makes it worse is she's like "oh its just a little bit". It's not worth chancing it. We're seeing an allergist regularly. This isn't something we just made up. lol

count2infinity

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:28 pm

Trigger warning: I do not, in anyway, compare having dogs to kids.

I hate when people do not take what you say seriously and go with the "Ahhh, it'll be fine. Stop worrying." Our one dog came from a terrible situation. Lived with us for just over a year before he would even let me pet him. He's scared of every single human on the planet and when I take him for walks, somehow people think that they can just try to pet him even though I tell them not to. "Ahh, it'll be fine, I'm a dog person." "Yeah... that's great, but he's not a people dog, so back off." Drives me crazy.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 2:21 pm

A 'dog person' would understand and respect that boundary. A hardcore dog person would be able to read the pup's body language and not need to be told to stand off.

count2infinity

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:35 am

Alright... menu is set and I'm going shopping at lunch today:

-Mashed potatoes
-Classic sage dressing/stuffing
-Butternut squash, lentil, pomegranate warm salad
-Sauteed green beans, mushrooms, onions
-Maple-balsamic, bacon roasted burssel sprouts with walnuts
-Fresh blood orange cranberry sauce
-Gravy
-Sweet potato dinner rolls
-Fruit crisp

If we were hosting people, I'd add turkey or chicken, but since it's just us we'll pass. So excited.