Cooking and Dining

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:05 pm

Steels are great. They have an interesting characteristic that they tend to stabilize at a slightly lower temperature than the surrounding air once you get above 450-475F or so, but they will hold on to that heat for a really long time and not fluctuate much. And steel conducts heat better than stone, so even though the temp on the stone might be truer to the higher air temp of the oven, the cook time on the stone will will be quicker because it transfers that heat to your food more betterly.

Steels are also fantastically useful things to just whack in your oven even if you never cook on them. Put them on the very bottom of the box and let it live there as a heat sink. Helps regulate the internal heat during "adverse thermal events", e.g. opening the oven door (High thermal mass) If you don't have or want a steel, just keep your cast iron cookware in the oven on the bottom rack, serves sort of the same purpose.

willeyeam

Cooking and Dining

Postby willeyeam » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:14 pm

Ever looked into one of those Pizza ovens? I've heard good things on a couple of the brands.
i think we're getting an Ooni this summer

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:17 pm

Source of the post They have an interesting characteristic that they tend to stabilize at a slightly lower temperature than the surrounding air once you get above 450-475F or so, but they will hold on to that heat for a really long time and not fluctuate much.
wat...

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:50 pm

https://www.seriouseats.com/the-pizza-l ... l-delivers
With a stone, if I crank my oven up to 550°F (not possible for all home cooks, hence the 500°F temperature in the recipe), I can pie baked in about 7 or 8 minutes.

A stone in a 550° oven will stabilize at around 500 to 525°F, as you can see.

The steel, on the other hand, stabilizes at around 450°F (though in some tests it peaked at closer to 500°F). This is due to the steel's radiative properties. It's constantly giving off heat even as it absorbs it, causing it to stabilize at a temperature that's slightly cooler than the air around it.
This is why steels (or cast iron) are good heat sinks in your oven.

These results match my own experience with my Pizza Kettle wood/charcoal-fired contraption, but with temps upped by about 350-400°F. The stone cooking surface is truer to the ambient air temp, the steel over top of it (which I tend to use as a plancha) is significantly less hot.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:55 pm

Ah... the word stabilized was confusing me. It's all about heat flow and mass. Not to mention where the sensor is that feeds information back to the oven saying "hey... that's hot enough." That's probably connected to something with less mass and has a lower heat capacity than the steel. So when the oven says "I'm at 550! Shut 'er down!" The steel is just hanging out at a lower temp.

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:03 pm

I absolutely looove my ooni fyra

faftorial

Cooking and Dining

Postby faftorial » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:10 pm

Ever looked into one of those Pizza ovens? I've heard good things on a couple of the brands.
i think we're getting an Ooni this summer
:thumb:

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Cooking and Dining

Postby LITT » Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:55 pm

Cut the anuses off a banana
Split it and leave the peal on
Cover in cinnamon and a little brown sugar
Air fry at 375 for 12 minutes
Serve with a little whip cream
does this include a preheat or not

Dickie Dunn

Cooking and Dining

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:04 pm

In my experience anything with an anus requires some preheating or you're just asking for trouble.

DigitalGypsy66

Cooking and Dining

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:23 pm

No need to preheat. These are delicious BTW. Thanks @meow. I also recommend serving it with Truwhip, if available.

Nuge

Cooking and Dining

Postby Nuge » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:01 pm

I can’t get my Ooni figured out. I burn it every time. I’ve read some things that I’m probably doing wrong. Hopefully I can get it right this summer.

NTP66

Cooking and Dining

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:04 pm

Damnit, now I kinda want to get in on this homemade pizza craze.

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:07 pm

I can’t get my Ooni figured out. I burn it every time. I’ve read some things that I’m probably doing wrong. Hopefully I can get it right this summer.
What model do you have, and what burns? Top, bottom, both?

NTP66

Cooking and Dining

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:31 pm

So I've worked a bit on my pizza dough recipe to get it to where I really like it. I've made pizza every Friday for about 4 months now, so I've had plenty of time to tinker... Final dough recipe here:

400 g bread flour
260 g water
20 g olive oil
10 g salt
10 g sugar
3 g yeast

Mix it all together until the flour is all hydrated. Leave at room temp for 30-60 minutes. Give it another quick mix, and then put it somewhere cold for 24-72 hours. Our garage has been a great location recently, but the fridge works too.

A few hours before you're ready to make pizzas (I do it at lunch on Fridays), divide the dough into two, ball it up and let it rest in the cold until you're ready to start preheating your oven. Once you're ready, bring it into room temp for about an hour (you'll need that much time for preheating your oven anyways).

This past Friday, I was tired, my wife was tired, we decided to just do take out. So I still had the dough. I tried making hoagie rolls with it, and this is the PERFECT dough for hoagies. I divided into 3 (you could probably do 4 as well), shaped it into logs instead of balls, let it proof up for an hour and a half, two hours. Long enough to get to room temp and then some. Do an egg white wash on them, score 'em right down the center, and pop 'em into a 450 degree oven for 15-20 minutes and they're done.
How many pizzas, and what size, would this recipe make? I think I read that you can finish a pizza in under 10 minutes @ 550°. Not sure my oven can go that high, though there are options out there.

NTP66

Cooking and Dining

Postby NTP66 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:35 pm

Surprisingly, mine can go to 550°. Still, I wonder if that is a better option than something like a grill top pizza oven, which I honestly think I'd prefer over a standalone unit.

count2infinity

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:29 pm

Source of the post How many pizzas, and what size, would this recipe make? I think I read that you can finish a pizza in under 10 minutes @ 550°. Not sure my oven can go that high, though there are options out there.
This recipe makes 2 pizzas that are probably 16" in diameter or so. And yeah, it makes great pizza at 550. I'm sure it'd be better when hotter, but at 550 (I usually go the convection route), it's damn good.

Nuge

Cooking and Dining

Postby Nuge » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:36 pm

I have a Koda 12. The top (cheese) burns and the middle of the dough isn't cooked.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Cooking and Dining

Postby meow » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:18 pm

In my experience anything with an anus requires some preheating or you're just asking for trouble.
Just spit on it

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Cooking and Dining

Postby meow » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:20 pm

No need to preheat. These are delicious BTW. Thanks @meow. I also recommend serving it with Truwhip, if available.
Correct. We use CocoWhip, but Truwhip is decent

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:43 pm

I have a Koda 12. The top (cheese) burns and the middle of the dough isn't cooked.
Do you have an infrared thermometer to make sure the stone is heated? I don't launch my pizzas until the stone is at least 850. It's usually well over 900 degrees. Quarter turn every 20 seconds and the pizza is about perfect.

Nuge

Cooking and Dining

Postby Nuge » Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:58 pm

Do you have an infrared thermometer to make sure the stone is heated? I don't launch my pizzas until the stone is at least 850. It's usually well over 900 degrees. Quarter turn every 20 seconds and the pizza is about perfect.
I do and it’s definitely hot enough. Do you turn the flame down when you launch? I think my dough quality is bad and I’m also probably overloading the toppings.

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:06 pm

I have a fyra, so I use pellets. But, yeah I try and make sure there isn't a huge flame going. I'm not sure what you should do for the Koda with propane.

You definitely can't put a ton of toppings on it either. I'm really surprised though that you have that problem. For the cheese I always make sure I use whole milk mozzarella and I shred it myself, or at the very least I run the pre shred under water in a strainer. The potato starch they put on the pre Shredded stuff burns easily. That could also be a contributing factor.

Shyster

Cooking and Dining

Postby Shyster » Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:23 am

Don't need a special oven or even a baking steel to make deep-dish. Just sayin'.

The deep-dish dough I've been using, which makes a Lou Malnati's style pie around 9" or so (e.g., around the size of a round cake pan):

1 cup flour (I use 50/50 mix of bread and semolina)
3 TB corn oil (must be corn oil)
2 tsp olive oil
6 TB water
3/4 tsp instant yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar

Mix ingredients and knead for maybe 5 minutes or so. The result should be a smooth and noticeably oily dough. This is not a dough where high gluten development is needed or even wanted. Let rise for at least 4-6 hours at room temperature. Longer is better.

To make a pizza, preheat oven to 375. Butter the inside of a round 9" cake pan, an 8" or 9" cast-iron skillet, a springform pan, or a similarly sized round pan. Place the dough in the cake pan and press it across the bottom and maybe 3/4 of an inch up the sides. Try to press and not stretch; this dough doesn't have much stretch and will tear. For cheese, you want an aggressive amount of a low-moisture mozzarella, scamorza, or similar cheese, maybe mixed with some provolone. It's typical to use sliced deli-style cheese rather than shredded, but shredded works fine. You don't want fresh mozz because it will be too watery. Cheese goes in first on the bottom, then any other toppings, then some sprinkles of basil, oregano, pepper, garlic powder, etc., and then tomatoes on top. Deep-dish sauce is typically just crushed tomatoes, typically straight from the can, and it should be thick and chunky. I use either Delallo or Cento whole peeled tomatoes. I drain the tomatoes out of the liquid in the can, squish them by hand, drain again, and then add back in just enough of the can liquid to make it a very chunky sauce rather than just chunks of tomato (I freeze the extra sauce/liquid for other recipes). Spoon the chunky tomato sauce over the top to cover the other toppings and then bake for around 35-40 minutes or so. When there's about 10 minutes left, I'll pull the pizza out and sprinkle some Parmesan or Romano over the top. When done, let it cool for at least 5 minutes and then run a spatula around the edge to get the pizza out of the pan.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Cooking and Dining

Postby LITT » Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:08 am

Tried @meow ’s de-anused banana surprise last night. Top notch

DigitalGypsy66

Cooking and Dining

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:11 am

Tried @meow ’s de-anused banana surprise last night. Top notch
It really is. I added chopped walnuts which was excellent.

It's actually our pizza night as well. My dough recipe is yogurt based:

5 oz. AP flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup (strained) Greek yogurt

I did not like the dough's consistency the first handful of times I made it. It tasted OK, but it was hard to work with. I changed from Gold Medal to King Arthur flour, and it was a huge improvement in handling and the finished product. I usually use nonfat yogurt, but whole milk works well and gives it a richer flavor.