Cooking and Dining

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:13 pm

It was actually popularized by Joël Robuchon, the most Michelin-starred chef in the history of the guide. (31 total stars across a dozen+ restaurants at the time of his passing)

Lemon Berry Lobster

Cooking and Dining

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:23 pm

It's just us this year, so fixins will be limited. Probably doing a turkey breast 'porchetta' (which I've done several times in the past), and a few sides (fried Brussels sprouts, mashed butter with potatoes, etc), but nothing too elaborate.

Tyler Florence did a collabo with ChefSteps last year where he created a 'holiday sauce', which was basically just roasted veggies pureed with turkey stock iirc. Was tasty, might do that again, but in a smaller quantity.
:?: :?: :?:
50% of the potatoes by weight is butter. (So like 2 lbs spuds, 1 lb butter)
'Mashed butter with potatoes' would suggest it is 2 lbs butter, 1 pound potatoes.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:26 pm

Think of it as a euphemism. A play on words, as it were. Something to exaggerate the amount of an ingredient in a recipe to underscore the point that there is a lot of it.

Like, when you hear people say "pasta water should be salty like sea water"; that's wildly overstating how much salt you should add to pasta water (by around a factor of three), but it puts the reader in the frame of mind to more readily accept the concept that they probably aren't putting anything like enough salt in their pasta water. It's a turn of phrase intended to convey the notion that there's a f--k lot of butter in these potatoes.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Cooking and Dining

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:27 pm

I don't salt my pasta water, but I do like to call loaded potato soup "poaded lotato". Its not the same but its what I got.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:28 pm

It should be salty, like dodint the sea.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:29 pm

Honestly, that's the only chance you get to season the noodles, which is probably around 95% of what you're consuming when you eat a pasta dish.

mamaemeritus

Cooking and Dining

Postby mamaemeritus » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:36 pm

I have limited kitchen/oven space so I've been trying to think of ways around that. Turkey will be in Traeger, I think I'm going to do potatoes in slow cooker. Maybe some carrots in sous vide. That leaves just green beans and stuffing in the oven. Going to make the rolls ahead of time and freeze them - can warm them in the microwave the day of. Trying to think of a way to creatively incorporate cranberries - other than the usual gel in a can.

dodint

Cooking and Dining

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:39 pm

It should be salty, like dodint the sea.
I'm so good to you. And then this.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:39 pm

Trying to think of a way to creatively incorporate cranberries - other than the usual gel in a can.
Do you by chance have a whipping siphon? (like an iSi)

mamaemeritus

Cooking and Dining

Postby mamaemeritus » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:40 pm

I do not.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:44 pm

Do you have a good cooler (Igloo, Yeti, etc) and access to dry ice?

Silentom

Cooking and Dining

Postby Silentom » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:44 pm

That looks like a single use item.

mamaemeritus

Cooking and Dining

Postby mamaemeritus » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Cooler yes, dry ice - I don't know?

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:45 pm

Considering the suggested use I'm proposing is not the designed purpose of the item, you might want to look again.

Silentom

Cooking and Dining

Postby Silentom » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:46 pm

The gel in a can is the best kind.

Silentom

Cooking and Dining

Postby Silentom » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:46 pm

Considering the suggested use I'm proposing is not the designed purpose of the item, you might want to look again.
:lol: It was a half-baked trigger attempt.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:53 pm

Trying to think of a way to creatively incorporate cranberries - other than the usual gel in a can.
Blood orange fresh cranberry sauce.

Bag of fresh cranberries, cup of sugar, juice and zest of a blood orange, and a touch of ground ginger.

Boil and stir the crap out of it with the spoon to pop the cranberries. If it gets too thick just add some water.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:58 pm

Cooler yes, dry ice - I don't know?
You can get dry ice from some grocery stores, or bar supply stores.

Get a can of cranberry sauce, chill it down, cut it up into little cubes. Put the dry ice into the cooler and cover with a towel, and arrange the cran cubes around the other side of the cooler. Close the lid and wrap it (all around) with good plastic wrap and chill the whole thing (prolly best if you have spare fridge). You want to keep everything as cold as you can without freezing the fruit. As the CO2 sublimates, it will be absorbed into the water molecules in the fruit, carbonating it. Let it go overnight (12 hours or so) and cut the plastic off; beware when you open the lid, because it will be a high-CO2 environment, and inhaling that directly can actually feel like you're burning your nose.... which is the sensation you are actually looking to created with the carbonated fruit (those same receptors trigger all your other senses to respond, so the fruit will smell and taste more of itself than the regular non-carbonated version).

So there you go. Pop Rocks in canned cranberry form.

(You can do this with pretty much any fruit, but it work best in things that are high in sugar.)

The larger your cooler, the more dry ice you'll need as the CO2 absorption seems to be more a function of container volume than amount of food. So if you have a stand mixer, I'd recommend getting around 1 kg of dry ice, using half of it to make the fizzy fruit and the other half to make soft serve ice cream to order.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:59 pm

:lol: It was a half-baked trigger attempt.
Om, you rascal. :D

robbiestoupe

Cooking and Dining

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:03 pm

I guess this would be a good place to ask opinions for ovens. We'll be hosting Thanksgiving this year, and with only 1 oven rack, we need to upgrade. We just ran a gas line to the kitchen, so electric is right out.

Opinions on convection ovens? Any brands to stay away from/lean towards?

Viva la Ben

Cooking and Dining

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:49 pm

We have a gas convention oven...the convection mode has been most useful when cooking pizzas. It really browns the cheese quickly.
We bought a Frigidaire on sale @ Home Depot.

the wicked child

Cooking and Dining

Postby the wicked child » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:03 pm

My entire crock pot of gingersnap pot roast was ruined yesterday when the power went out at 9AM and it sat until I got home at 5:30. What a waste.
Stuff like this is why I am hesitant to leave stuff cooking when I'm not there. :thumbdown:

Out of curiosity, is that some kind of take on Sauerbraten?

robbiestoupe

Cooking and Dining

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:12 pm

My entire crock pot of gingersnap pot roast was ruined yesterday when the power went out at 9AM and it sat until I got home at 5:30. What a waste.
Stuff like this is why I am hesitant to leave stuff cooking when I'm not there. :thumbdown:

Out of curiosity, is that some kind of take on Sauerbraten?
It’s a recipe from a Betty Crocker cook book, so I don’t believe it is.

This is the first time we’ve ever had this happen to us. Granted, it did happen once when my in laws were home watching the kids, but it’s a bummer to put in all that work and trash it.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:04 am

Good god....... I had never heard the phrase "Ohio Valley Style Pizza" before today. Wow. It is down there with Skyline on the list of inexcusable awful. Adherents should be euthanized, or at least sterilized, so this kind of sub-optimal nonsense can be weeded out of future generations. Wow, again.

Dickie Dunn

Cooking and Dining

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:11 am

Good god....... I had never heard the phrase "Ohio Valley Style Pizza" before today. Wow. It is down there with Skyline on the list of inexcusable awful. Adherents should be euthanized, or at least sterilized, so this kind of sub-optimal nonsense can be weeded out of future generations. Wow, again.
Your words have never been more true. Bunch of **** animals.