Cooking and Dining

Shyster

Cooking and Dining

Postby Shyster » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:19 pm

Not tifosi, but most of the time I would say quality ingredients. That wouldn't necessarily apply in all circumstances, however. A good barbecue pitmaster could probably still turn a lower-quality brisket into good eats, while a bad pitmaster could turn a top=quality brisket into inedible cardboard. But most of the time I think it would be quality ingredients.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:50 pm

tif, in the restaurant context which do you think is most important in contributing to food that is delicious: quality ingredients or exceptional preparation techniques?
Ingredients, first-last-and always. The first materials will not get better with the interference by a cook. Therefore, the most important job of the cook is to stay out of the way as much as possible.

While I do agree with Shyster's point, it must be remembered that the corollary is also true: Overly fussed technique can obscure quality product. This is where too many modernist cooks fall down, imo. Food must be delicious first and foremost, and in the effort to amaze and impress there was a glut of restaurants 10 years ago who leaned far too much on fancy technique sort of at the expense of taste. It doesn't do anyone any good for the most memorable part of a restaurant meal to be the bill.

dodint

Cooking and Dining

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:52 pm

I thought as much, thanks.

I was watching a political docu-series. As a smarmy observation on immigration they asserted "Even in the lily white state of Iowa the mexican restaurants are staffed by immigrants" and alluded to the food being unusually exceptional. Politics aside my immediate thought was that unless they're importing authentic quality ingredients it doesn't matter who is stuffing the tacos.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:08 pm

I used to be big on 'authenticity', until it dawned on me that it impossible to achieve that state once removed from time and place. But I wouldn't say it doesn't matter who's doing what; that 'stay out of the way' aspect varies a lot depending on what, specifically, you're doing. Staying out of the way when making barbacoa might not mean the same thing as it does when making shepherd's pie. It's sort of a foodways version of 'institutional knowledge'. For example, I made Baja fried fish tacos last night for the first time, and with the first two pieces of fish I very much got in the way; the second two, I had figured what I needed to not do, and those pieces were much better. If only I had remembered to warm the tortillas...

That said, it is fact that probably 100% of us have had dozens of restaurant meals in our lives that multiple immigrants (often of dubious status) literally had their hands on throughout the process of growing and harvesting the food, transporting it, and preparing and serving it.

dodint

Cooking and Dining

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:14 pm

Indeed.

I just don't believe that an immigrants fingers stuffing warmed over shredded beef, which was drop shipped frozen to BFE Iowa, into a commercial tortilla somehow raises the taco to something beyond what you'll get if anyone else is doing the same.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:33 pm

Well, when you put it that way... :lol:

We have 4 different mexican joints here in State College. One is clearly superior to the rest and what you described is not what's going on in that kitchen.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Cooking and Dining

Postby meow » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:06 pm

Help me spend my money on one of these sous vide things. I’m going against one of my life lessons and buying mrs meow something with a cord for her birthday.

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:32 pm

Joule is what most of us have. It's pretty nice. You need an app, or Alexa, or fb messenger to control it.

Anova is another option that works with just button pushes.

Either are good but I'd suggest the joule, personally.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:54 pm

I'm obviously biased towards Joule. If you go that route, please join the Cook With Joule FB group.

I have two gen2 Annovas, and they're fine (I think they're currently on gen3 or 4). Bulkier and much noisier, but you don't need a second device or network connection to use them.

Either way you go, cook more and share photos.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:43 am

We had a ton of stuff left from our CSA box for Sunday night dinner, so we went with grilled veggies (red and white onion, bell pepper, carrot, zucchini, and jalapeno) seasoned up with fajita seasonings, refried beans, and mexican rice. The grilled veg were the star. Sooo good. We have one of those grill pans that make the grilling easy.

Also, trader joe's guac with the greek yogurt in it is phenomenal.

shmenguin

Cooking and Dining

Postby shmenguin » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:06 am

Burgers are so simple, but I can't imagine more than 50% of people getting them right.

-Use loose, 80-85% ground beef. No frozen. None of that vac-packed sludge
-Just salt and pepper
-Keep the grill open the entire time. Increased sear, decreased baking
-Flip once, at the point where the patties free themselves.
-Apply cheese immediately after flip and wait

I'm sure there are variations that you guys use with success, but some of this is non-negotiable`

count2infinity

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:09 am

That's pretty much it... yup. easy to get right, even easier to get wrong.

robbiestoupe

Cooking and Dining

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:14 am

I'd argue about the S&P and cheese lines, but otherwise spot on. Also add if you are going with the higher fat content, don't put directly over charcoal briquettes unless you want raw interior, charred exterior.

shmenguin

Cooking and Dining

Postby shmenguin » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:15 am

That's pretty much it... yup. easy to get right, even easier to get wrong.
i'm usually a slave to my instant read meat thermometer, but burgers are the one thing that I can go in blind with, especially since the process is repeatable with no variations. The grill flame/temp is a constant, and so is the starting temp/thickness of the patty.

shmenguin

Cooking and Dining

Postby shmenguin » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:17 am

I'd argue about the S&P and cheese lines, but otherwise spot on. Also add if you are going with the higher fat content, don't put directly over charcoal briquettes unless you want raw interior, charred exterior.
how would you switch up the cheese?

also curious what seasonings you add. i'm not averse to going next-level.

robbiestoupe

Cooking and Dining

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:34 am

I put the cheese on a bit later, as I like mine to be just-melted, not ingrained into the burger.

Not so much seasoning (although I've thrown some garlic salt on mine once or twice), but overall ingredients. We make a "grandma" burger with onions, egg and bread crumbs. Giant Eagle also makes some pre-made burgers that are pretty good - jalapeno burger, bacon burger to name a couple.

shmenguin

Cooking and Dining

Postby shmenguin » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:54 am

I put the cheese on a bit later, as I like mine to be just-melted, not ingrained into the burger.

Not so much seasoning (although I've thrown some garlic salt on mine once or twice), but overall ingredients. We make a "grandma" burger with onions, egg and bread crumbs. Giant Eagle also makes some pre-made burgers that are pretty good - jalapeno burger, bacon burger to name a couple.
ahh...meatloaf burgers. not my preference.

the bacon technique is awesome for turkey burgers, but it seems gratuitous for beef patties. i never actually taste the bacon in a pleasing way, and 85% gives you plenty of fat.

count2infinity

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:55 am

I get a little concerned when I see bacon incorporated into a burger. I like my bacon crispy... if it's cooked to the same temp as the internal of my burger, there's gonna be texture issues for me.

shmenguin

Cooking and Dining

Postby shmenguin » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:58 am

I get a little concerned when I see bacon incorporated into a burger. I like my bacon crispy... if it's cooked to the same temp as the internal of my burger, there's gonna be texture issues for me.
If it’s chopped finely, it generally just dissolves. The end result is just a little extra umami.

Dickie Dunn

Cooking and Dining

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:09 am

Already cooked bacon underneath the cheese is the only way to go.

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:10 am

I almost prefer the 'ultra smashed' burgers on cast iron over my grill anymore. I also add a dash of onion powder to the meat. Otherwise, 100% agree with your points above.

Also, butter and toast the bun before cooking the burgers. Allows the pan to preheat and gives a great flavor to the whole.

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:11 am

That said I did make some "rancher" burgers yesterday which were delicious. Ground meat, some ranch seasoning, bacon and provolone. MMMMMM

robbiestoupe

Cooking and Dining

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:31 am

I don't incorporate bacon into the patties myself, just saying the ones GE made were tasty. They also make some intolerable patties - for instance, some sort of pepper burger that was completely inedible.

All this talk is making me hungry for a homemade grilled burger.

Dickie Dunn

Cooking and Dining

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:42 am

I almost prefer the 'ultra smashed' burgers on cast iron over my grill anymore. I also add a dash of onion powder to the meat. Otherwise, 100% agree with your points above.

Also, butter and toast the bun before cooking the burgers. Allows the pan to preheat and gives a great flavor to the whole.
I plan on giving this style a go this weekend. 6 minute mark.

I don't incorporate bacon into the patties myself, just saying the ones GE made were tasty. They also make some intolerable patties - for instance, some sort of pepper burger that was completely inedible.

All this talk is making me hungry for a homemade grilled burger.
I've never tried GE's premade patties, but I'm a big fan of the Schweid & Sons patties, specifically the chuck and brisket offerings.

mamaemeritus

Cooking and Dining

Postby mamaemeritus » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:36 am

I season the crap out of my burgers. Worcestershire, garlic salt, pepper, dash of onion powder, coriander. Everyone raves.