Cooking and Dining

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:20 pm

Have you ever used colatura di alici? I ran across its existence back when I was looking at pasta recipes. It's supposedly different than the SE Asian fish sauces even though it's basically the same ingredients.
It literally translates as 'drops of anchovy' or something along those lines. Which actually doesn't sound very good at all. lol

I have not used it in cooking, but I have had it in food and think it's tasty. It is a very different animal than say Vietnamese or Thai fish sauce. SE Asian fish sauces tend to lean on shellfish in addition to bony fish, and are also fermented for a much longer period of time, which both contribute greatly to the added funk.

Colatura di alici is more akin to garum from Roman times.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:24 pm

The seasoning on my cast iron keeps chipping off. Please advise on a solution to this tragedy
Chipping? That's a tough one, I've never encountered that before. What brand of cast iron? Is it newer or a family relic?

Either way, I'd suggest re-seasoning, but doing multiple rounds. It might take 2-3 days to do it, depending on how well it holds on to heat. But you can do it while you're getting ready for work in the AM: Pre-heat the oven to nuclear reactor hot, pre-heat the cast iron on the stove top for 20 minutes or so. Add your lipid of choice, bake (inverted) for an hour or so, then turn the oven off and go to work. Repeat when you get home, and again the next morning. (Or however your schedule allows you to go through 2-3 cycles before using the pan again.)

I just seasoned my new carbon steel pan, and the surface is slicker than some hockey rinks I've skated on.

Shyster

Cooking and Dining

Postby Shyster » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:02 pm

It literally translates as 'drops of anchovy' or something along those lines. Which actually doesn't sound very good at all. lol

I have not used it in cooking, but I have had it in food and think it's tasty. It is a very different animal than say Vietnamese or Thai fish sauce. SE Asian fish sauces tend to lean on shellfish in addition to bony fish, and are also fermented for a much longer period of time, which both contribute greatly to the added funk.

Colatura di alici is more akin to garum from Roman times.
So less funky and closer to regular anchovies? Hmm. It's not too expensive, so I think I'll pick some up. I've also heard good things about Red Boat fish sauce. My local Asian market does not carry that brand, so I'll need to order online anyway.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:15 pm

Red Boat is sort of ubiquitous. You should be able to get it at Whole Foods, if you have one nearby.

I honestly don't know most the brand names I buy, because their names are usually sort of gibberish translations. I just remember the labels. The bottle I have going now is a Nha Trang style, but is actually made in Thailand. Viet Huong from Three Crabs is good.

Shyster

Cooking and Dining

Postby Shyster » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:54 pm

Not from there. Whole Foods has a corporate "no guns" policy, so I refuse to shop there.

shafnutz05

Cooking and Dining

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:10 pm

I'm sous viding some bone-in thick as **** pork chops tonight and I really just want to leave work now so I can eat them already.
We had SV pork chops tonight too :) boneless, but they turned out fantastic. 90 minutes at 141

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:17 pm

Not from there. Whole Foods has a corporate "no guns" policy, so I refuse to shop there.
I've done a bit of reading, and it seems Red Boat is more akin to that colatura stuff. It's just salt and anchovies. I've had it, and it'll do in a pinch. But I'd recommend something else your local Asian store does carry if you're looking for funk.

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:33 pm

Red boat is what CWJ recommends for wet aging beef, right?

I keep meaning to try that.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:03 am

Another delicious dinner from our CSA box. Made chicken with garlic sauce, sweet and sour bok choy, and some rice. Local, fresh produce is the best.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:31 am

Red boat is what CWJ recommends for wet aging beef, right?

I keep meaning to try that.
I remember there being talk about using RB fish salt for dry bringing/aging, but not so much the fish sauce. Fish salt is an ingredient I have no direct experience with.

Shyster

Cooking and Dining

Postby Shyster » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:52 pm

The Sous Vide Everything YouTube channel did a couple videos on the "dry aging" of beef with fish sauce. I don't think they thought much of it, but I am aware that some people say that fish sauce produces a facsimile of a dry-aged steak. The Sous Vide Everything guys also did some videos where the steaks were coated with koji rice, which is another substance that supposedly gives the dry-aged flavor. They seemed to like that a lot better.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:27 pm

I've done koji with pork with good results, but never wet aging with fish sauce. I've read double up (3 days with koji, then 3 days with fish sauce, then 3 days wiped dry and wrapped in cheesecloth) produces a very good result as well.

Willie Kool

Cooking and Dining

Postby Willie Kool » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:49 pm

Get paid $10,000 plus travel expenses for you and a guest to spend the first two weeks of August looking for the best ribs in America:

https://www.reynoldskitchens.com/2019-c ... g-officer/

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:09 pm

Solidly recommend The Chef Show on Netflix.

Roy Choi was Jon Favreau's technical adviser on the film Chef (which, inexplicably, I still have not seen). The show is the two of them pairing up and going around the country and doing cooking things. (And when I say 'around the country', I mean 'Los Angeles, Atlanta, and Austin'.) In previous TV appearances, I've been thoroughly underwhelmed by Choi. But in this show, he's actually pretty solid. For a long time I've sort of pooh-poohed his truck (it's good, but it's not that good...), but this show is encouraging me to reevaluate my perspective.

The two big takeaways for me: Favreau is legit, he keeps up in the kitchen with some heavyweights. And it seems the main reason why I didn't really like Choi that much is because in all his previous TV appearances that I've seen he was just more or less a tour guide; this show is the first time I've actually seen him in a kitchen handling food.

Dickie Dunn

Cooking and Dining

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:36 pm

God damn it tif. Chef is legitimately one of my favorite movies. Just fantastic.

DigitalGypsy66

Cooking and Dining

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:58 am

I watched the first(?) episode with Gwyneth Paltrow. The takeaway from that episode (they made Pepper Pot soup :roll: ) was that she had forgotten she was in Spiderman: Homecoming. :lol:

blackjack68

Cooking and Dining

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:15 am

Roy Choi was Jon Favreau's technical adviser on the film Chef (which, inexplicably, I still have not seen). The show is the two of them pairing up and going around the country and doing cooking things. (And when I say 'around the country', I mean 'Los Angeles, Atlanta, and Austin'.) In previous TV appearances, I've been thoroughly underwhelmed by Choi. But in this show, he's actually pretty solid. For a long time I've sort of pooh-poohed his truck (it's good, but it's not that good...), but this show is encouraging me to reevaluate my perspective.

The two big takeaways for me: Favreau is legit, he keeps up in the kitchen with some heavyweights. And it seems the main reason why I didn't really like Choi that much is because in all his previous TV appearances that I've seen he was just more or less a tour guide; this show is the first time I've actually seen him in a kitchen handling food.
Watched the first three episodes last night. Very much enjoyed it despite them making the pork mojo twice albeit faster cook vs. slower cook methods. (Slow cook for the win.)

shafnutz05

Cooking and Dining

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:15 pm

I watched the first(?) episode with Gwyneth Paltrow. The takeaway from that episode (they made Pepper Pot soup :roll: ) was that she had forgotten she was in Spiderman: Homecoming. :lol:
I'm sure it touched on the history of the Philly Pepper Pot, but according to legend, that was YUGE back during the Revolution in and around Valley Forge/Philadelphia.

Campbell's actually offered that flavor for a long time.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:45 pm

...Gwyneth Paltrow...had forgotten she was in Spiderman: Homecoming.
Never wanting to skip an opportunity to goof on GP, but I'm willing to give her a pass there. With security and secrecy being what they were on those films (especially the later ones) I can 100% believe a secondary character not knowing what they were shooting. Heck, I read the first time Brie Larson shot a scene as Captain Marvel she was given a script page that was completely redacted except for her one line of dialog; she didn't know what other characters were in the scene until she was taken to set. When they shot what was the mid-credits scene for Catan Marvel, she was filmed by herself on a green screen (again, with just her own single line of dialog to work with) and had no idea any context for the scene or even what movie it was for.

DigitalGypsy66

Cooking and Dining

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:07 pm

Yeah, I'm sure she actually filmed her scenes in the middle of the Avengers movies and didn't know/realize it was going to be used in Homecoming.

I did finish the episode, and now I want a cubano or even that grilled cheese they make at the end. <drools>

Is the Great Food Truck Race worth watching? I noticed they filmed in SC a few months ago, and those episodes are airing now.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:28 pm

The early years of the Great Food Truck Race was fun, because it was the leading edge of the truck boom and I got to see several trucks I patronized regularly appear on the show and do well. But the food truck thing seems to have run its course, out here at least. There are roughly only around 1/5 as many trucks in LA as there were three years ago. Nearly all of my favorites have closed up, with the exception of maybe two or three stalwarts.

If there are trucks local to your hometown, or they are filming in your hometown, it's worth watching just to see how they represent. I went to the market a few weeks ago and they had a temporary set built up in the parking lot for some kind of grilling competition show. Looked like half a dozen or so stations, and they were shooting B-roll of the competitors when I arrived. So even though I'm down on Food Network lately (as in, the last ten years) I've been keeping an eye out for that show.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:30 pm

Yeah, I'm sure she actually filmed her scenes in the middle of the Avengers movies and didn't know/realize it was going to be used in Homecoming.
Also, I read that Mark Ruffalo was so untrustworthy at secret keeping that they actually wrote and shot something like 7 different endings for Hulk and never told him which one was the actual one they intended to use.

Tomas

Cooking and Dining

Postby Tomas » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:35 pm

Does anybody have any recommendations (brands, preparation tips) for "meatless" meat?

Being a relatively older father of two small kids, I am ready to truly move away from the red meat (if it means a greater chance a lower long-term health risks) as soon as somebody develops/markets a meat substitute that tastes at least "B".

Yesterday, I finally tried Beyond Meat (primarily because their IPO price increased 600% in the last few weeks :) ), and if tofu is a solid "F" in my book, the BM "beef crumbles" were "C" at best.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:05 pm

I don't think it's available in stores yet, but if you can find a restaurant that serves the Impossible Burger I'd give that a go. I've had it three times, and it's pretty good. No one is mistaking it for meat, but it's pretty darn close - to the point that if we go somewhere for a burger, and an Impossible patty is available, I'm going to order it.

Dickie Dunn

Cooking and Dining

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:00 pm

Watched the first three episodes last night. Very much enjoyed it despite them making the pork mojo twice albeit faster cook vs. slower cook methods. (Slow cook for the win.)
Through the first three episodes and it's been great so far. Would love to know what kind of shooting schedule they had for this. The chocolate lava cake episode for Binging with Babish came out last February.