Cooking and Dining

dodint

Cooking and Dining

Postby dodint » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:05 pm

The podcast I listen to the most is now sponsored by a boil cooker so I'm pretty disgusted and not sure what to do. It's not as simple as just fast forwarding because one of the people involved considers himself a chef-type and actually talks about this stuff. Argh. Stick to sports.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:55 am

There were 8 contestants in the pie bake off. According to a couple of the judges, I got 2nd. Best of the 4 apples that were brought in, but 2nd to a pecan cheesecake pie. Damn.

Dickie Dunn

Cooking and Dining

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:54 pm

Should have went with the Frey Pie.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:26 pm

The podcast I listen to the most is now sponsored by a boil cooker so I'm pretty disgusted and not sure what to do. It's not as simple as just fast forwarding because one of the people involved considers himself a chef-type and actually talks about this stuff. Argh. Stick to sports.
Just accept that you are the dopey outlier and welcome your eventual fate.

dodint

Cooking and Dining

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:39 pm

Just accept that you are the dopey outlier and welcome your eventual fate.
They're offering it from a convenience standpoint so they might as well be advertising Mcdonalds.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:43 pm

I got to try my pie after lunch... I agree with the assessment. That other pie was stellar. For mine, it was labeled as bacon, but with the apple filling and the streusel topping, the bacon was completely lost. Should have ditched the topping and just done a bacon lattice on the top.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:44 pm

@dodint You're usually much more thoughtful than this, so I get a kick out of the boiled meat posts. I imagine it's how I come off in.... well, I guess pretty much every other thread.

dodint

Cooking and Dining

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:56 pm

@dodint You're usually much more thoughtful than this, so I get a kick out of the boiled meat posts. I imagine it's how I come off in.... well, I guess pretty much every other thread.
Keep in mind I'm going against the core of my annoyance with the boiled food stuff, as well. The sole reason I don't like it is because this thread (and it's predecessor) used to be really interesting. Then one day it became "how can I outdo the other guy who is boiling different crap in a bucket than I am!" and there wasn't any more talk about real cooking. I mean, ****, you have a guy that wants to boil sacks of chicken for Thanksgiving. Blech.

Now the only time I come in here is to make passive aggressive drops about boilers; basically ruining the thread for those that like it and perpetuating the boiling talk in general.

I'm in a bad place.

columbia

Cooking and Dining

Postby columbia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:57 pm

Acting like grunty is not a good look.

dodint

Cooking and Dining

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:01 pm

So I’m calling bullshit on this claim.

count2infinity

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:02 pm

My boil aversion is just that I don't have one, so when every single discussion is about it, I can't really contribute.

Once I get one though, it's game over for dodint. I'll join the boiling master race.

I also love that the boiling name stuck. :lol:

MrKennethTKangaroo

Cooking and Dining

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:07 pm

c2i has been a pretty good contributor to this thread recently imo. and his posts have nothing to do with boiling

Miami Vice

Cooking and Dining

Postby Miami Vice » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:08 pm

turkey breast cookers, i have roasted a stuffed one in the oven the past three years with good results. however, the skin is never very good and just comes off.

this year in an attempt to fix that im going to do the following:
-cut the turkey off the bone and flatten it tonight
-put it in brine until after work tomorrow
-sit it uncovered in the fridge from tomorrow night until thursday morning to dry it a bit
-before i go to add stuffing and roll it im going to grease up the skin

should i try searing it before roasting, or after? i just bought a torch, could that help?

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:08 pm

From a functionality point of a view (meaning, how you as the cook interface with the device) sous vide is no different than an oven. It's passive cooking.

dodint

Cooking and Dining

Postby dodint » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:08 pm

c2i has been a pretty good contributor to this thread recently imo. and his posts have nothing to do with boiling
Indeed. I'm off school this week and plan to batch some dough.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:10 pm

should i try searing it before roasting, or after? i just bought a torch, could that help?
All your steps are good. I'm so-so on torches, probably get better results using a griddle or cast iron thing. I'd suggest a light sear to start, cook via your preferred method, then a hard sear to finish. Maybe under the broiler for a few minutes.

Dickie Dunn

Cooking and Dining

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:14 pm

Anova Bluetooth at $94.95 and WiFi at $111.95 for today only on Amazon. dodint can step into modern cooking at a discounted price.

count2infinity

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:17 pm

I think my fundamental issue with boiling is it's super precise. My entire career so far is all about precision and recipes and following things to a tee. When I'm in the kitchen, I go by feel, taste, and my own preferences. It's my escape from being too technical.

columbia

Cooking and Dining

Postby columbia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:21 pm

So I’m calling bullshit on this claim.
I'll admit that it was an insulting comment and offer an apology.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:21 pm

It's not technical, it just mitigates the effect of one variable. All other aspects of cooking remain intuitive. I don't know how to make a sauce sous vide, for example. Nor would I really want to.

columbia

Cooking and Dining

Postby columbia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:23 pm

I think my fundamental issue with boiling is it's super precise. My entire career so far is all about precision and recipes and following things to a tee. When I'm in the kitchen, I go by feel, taste, and my own preferences. It's my escape from being too technical.
Similar: I have no interest in sports metrics, because I earn my living dealing with data (and now supervising people who do). No need to turn something fun into something work-like.

count2infinity

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:29 pm

It's not technical, it just mitigates the effect of one variable. All other aspects of cooking remain intuitive. I don't know how to make a sauce sous vide, for example. Nor would I really want to.
It is technical... "boil at this temperature for this long" "make an x% salt solution".

Again, I prefer (and get more excitement if I nail it) just by feel.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:44 pm

That's the thing...... you nail it every time with sous vide. (phrasing?)

Give it a try some time using one of the 'ghetto' methods: Hot water in your sink or an insulated cooler, pot of water on the stovetop, etc. They are more involved in that you have to hawk the water temp and constantly adjust, but it's an easy way to introduce yourself to the concept.

Shyster

Cooking and Dining

Postby Shyster » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:45 pm

I'll join the boiling master race.
One of us. One of us.

count2infinity

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:46 pm

I have. Not a fan. I prefer active cooking for things that require temp, and for low and slow stuff, I don't care because it's typically less than 6-8 hours and there's no reason for me to be away from it should something go wrong.