Cooking and Dining

mamaemeritus

Cooking and Dining

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:25 pm

This is what I hear. However, we are not smoking aficionados, nor do we have the time for all out smoking as a hobby. This is a nice middle ground for us. Results have been great.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Cooking and Dining

Postby LITT » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:31 pm

in full transparency, part of me wishes i had bought a traeger

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Cooking and Dining

Postby LITT » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:37 pm

you can make some pretty good hardboiled eggs in the instant pot. easy to peel, perfect yolk texture

MrKennethTKangaroo

Cooking and Dining

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:38 pm

Part of me thinks it is ridiculous to use an instant pot for hardboiled eggs, but i will say that the instantpot makes very consistent hardboiled eggs

LITT

Cooking and Dining

Postby LITT » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:35 am

Got some zucchini flowers from the farmers market yesterday. Looking forward to stuffin em and fryin em up

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:21 pm

I did crab stuffed zucchini blossoms with a butter-mustard sauce a couple years ago that was really really tasty. The kind of thing that makes yo go "why the flarn filth and flarn have you not cooked that again".

Viva la Ben

Cooking and Dining

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:29 pm

My brother has a competition BBQ team, and he’s a KCBS judge. A few weeks ago he did his first steak grilling competition. Out of 30 steaks he picked last and won 3rd place. He says these are much more enjoyable because it’s only a one day event without having to stay up with the pit overnight. I asked him if anyone cooked their steak sous vide, and he said nope. I’m really thinking about doing one of these.

shafnutz05

Cooking and Dining

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:40 pm

Thought this was a very interesting read:

https://www.bloombergquint.com/pursuits ... ty-tv-chef
The opening of Bouchon in Beverly Hills nine years ago was a star-studded affair, with Pierce Brosnan, Don Johnson, and Jay Leno in attendance. Eater LA, the foodie website, gushed about chef Thomas Keller’s charcuterie and tartine—and the difficulty of getting a reservation. Keller, known for his French Laundry restaurant in California’s Napa Valley, cut the ribbon with the city’s then-mayor.

Today the space is vacant. The location closed in December following disagreements over tenant improvements and rent reductions between Keller and the city of Beverly Hills, which owns the building. “The circumstances no longer exist to operate a profitable restaurant,” Keller said in a statement.

His experience is hardly unique. The once-flourishing celebrity chef industry has seen dozens of restaurants backed by some of the top names in the business close over the past year. Some chefs were done in by rising rents, overexpansion, and a shift among foodies toward “authentic” fare that doesn’t depend on having a celebrity in the kitchen. Besides, with locations open for 10 years or more, some restaurants had just grown stale. “As with every other art form, the tastes and the popularity change,” says Shep Gordon, the agent who nurtured the careers of such celebrity chefs as Emeril Lagasse. “The fireworks can only last so long.”

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:01 pm

Tangentially, the original California restaurant named Bouchon is in Santa Barbara, and it is unrelated to Thomas Keller. It is one of my favorite restaurants in the United States, and we've gone there for our anniversary four or five times.

But I blame some of this on the dumbing down of food culture in this country. No good can come from a dolt like Guy Fieri having any degree of fame.

dodint

Cooking and Dining

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:10 pm

I think putting more focus on the food and less on the celebrity, of any caliber, can only be an improvement.

LITT

Cooking and Dining

Postby LITT » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:25 pm

gonna stuff some cubanelle peppers with chorizo tonight

Lemon Berry Lobster

Cooking and Dining

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:30 pm

Used to stuff poblano peppers with chorizo... *unzips*

mac5155

Cooking and Dining

Postby mac5155 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:44 pm

My brother has a competition BBQ team, and he’s a KCBS judge. A few weeks ago he did his first steak grilling competition. Out of 30 steaks he picked last and won 3rd place. He says these are much more enjoyable because it’s only a one day event without having to stay up with the pit overnight. I asked him if anyone cooked their steak sous vide, and he said nope. I’m really thinking about doing one of these.
What method did he use?

SV really isn't the 'best' IMO, but it's the most foolproof and repeatable.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:57 pm

I've said before, but switching to SV changed my opinions about how much I thought I liked 'rare'. Turns out, the inevitable bit that's overcooked using traditional direct heat methods goes a long way towards shaping that. If you substantially reduce that amount and make the middle bit more uniform, turns out I like it a little more med-rare.

Viva la Ben

Cooking and Dining

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:24 pm

What method did he use?

Everyone used charcoal or wood. He says one guy heard of someone using SV, but never in a comp. These are mostly bbq comp vets who do injection marinades.

shafnutz05

Cooking and Dining

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:25 pm

I've said before, but switching to SV changed my opinions about how much I thought I liked 'rare'. Turns out, the inevitable bit that's overcooked using traditional direct heat methods goes a long way towards shaping that. If you substantially reduce that amount and make the middle bit more uniform, turns out I like it a little more med-rare.
I had the same exact revelation.

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:25 pm

What method did he use?

Everyone used charcoal or wood. He says one guy heard of someone using SV, but never in a comp. These are mostly bbq comp vets who do injection marinades.
We went to food-and-drink event last year at AT&T Park and the star of the show was a bevvy of strip and rib steaks all cooked directly on top of hardwood charcoal. (The Alton Brown skirt steak method) One of the most amazballs bites of food I've ever had. We went to that restaurant in May when we were up there for Bottlerock (the place was literally a five minute walk from our hotel), and sadly it didn't match that standard. Was still good, but a fair bit below expectations. I asked for a non-Cabernet wine pairing, leaning towards an old-vine Zin on the menu, and the waiter immediately recommended that very wine. I gave myself a little high five, felt good. The pairing was the dog's balls, but the meal overall was so-so.

LITT

Cooking and Dining

Postby LITT » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:13 pm

How was bottlerock

tifosi77

Cooking and Dining

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:59 pm

Bottlerock is outstanding. It's sort of the only festival I'm willing to go to now, although we might do Cal Jam. Last year was a blast, because it was Foo Fighters' first US show in like 2 1/2 years; the promoter cut their power at 10 pm sharp to avoid the hefty $1,000 noise curfew fine. (They were four minutes into a six-minute song.) This year, the first day had several bands we wanted to see: The Struts; Earth, Wind & Fire; Muse; Incubus; and I feel I'm missing one other one. Plus, they have cooking demos on one of the side stages, so it's fun to see liquored up chefs with kitchen tools.

The downer last year was they ran out of Lagunitas beer halfway through the day Sunday. They are a title sponsor of the event, and the brewery is only like 20 miles across the way; how does that happen.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:05 am

Now that I don't make coffee every morning, just on weekends, I've tried to up the quality a bit for our weekend pot of joe.

This week: Counter Culture #46. My wife is not a fan of dark roasts, but I love 'em, and since I was making the coffee, I figured I'd buy this stuff and not tell her it was a dark roast until she was drinking it. Man is it good stuff. I just made a drip coffee pot, and of the description says dark chocolate, smoky, and full bodied. I take mine black, and I got lots of smoky with a touch of chocolate. My wife takes her with creamer, and she got all chocolate, which she loved.

Highly recommend.

shafnutz05

Cooking and Dining

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:58 pm

I've gotta try that. I too am a fan of the dark roasts, but I can also enjoy a medium from time to time.

You know who makes a surprisingly good cup of coffee? Eight O Clock coffee (the whole beans).

MrKennethTKangaroo

Cooking and Dining

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:54 am

cast iron+pork chops=awesome

btw I agree with shad's take on eight o clock coffee....it is really good as iced coffee

llipgh2

Cooking and Dining

Postby llipgh2 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:20 am

Thought this was a very interesting read:

https://www.bloombergquint.com/pursuits ... ty-tv-chef
In Vegas it appears to be the opposite.

dodint

Cooking and Dining

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:23 am

I didn't realize tif's Manhattan restaurant closed. I'm sure the one in Louisville will endure a bit longer.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Cooking and Dining

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:32 am

Instant pot refried beans are killer... and really really easy. I'm going to make that indian dish on Saturday, @MrKennethTKangaroo .