Thread of Cellphones

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Thread of Cellphones

Postby count2infinity » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:12 pm

Source of the post Google Fi doesn't require calling over wifi...
This statement is disingenuous but technically correct, so whatever.

You could buy an airplane and just taxi around never leaving the ground if you wanted. That's not how it was designed, intended, or marketed. But you could.
I don't understand... Are you not supposed to use it over wireless?

dodint

Thread of Cellphones

Postby dodint » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:19 pm

All their literature indicates it is wifi first and then they use the three carrier towers to fill in the gaps. I don't know enough about the billing to tell you what happens if you try to never use wifi.

Don't let me discourage anyone, I'm curious how it works out. Just saying that I'm leery about it because my wifi calling her with my home internet has been laggy and I don't trust it.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Thread of Cellphones

Postby count2infinity » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:22 pm

All their literature indicates it is wifi first and then they use the three carrier towers to fill in the gaps. I don't know enough about the billing to tell you what happens if you try to never use wifi.

Don't let me discourage anyone, I'm curious how it works out. Just saying that I'm leery about it because my wifi calling her with my home internet has been laggy and I don't trust it.
From what I've read (and I could be way off) is that you get unlimited text and talk for a fee ($20 I think) and then data is $10 per gb that's used, so I don't quite understand how it could not function as a typical phone service... but again, I've only read Google literature, so I could be off/mislead.

dodint

Thread of Cellphones

Postby dodint » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:25 pm

Let me know how it works out, I don't know either. :)

Morkle

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Morkle » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:47 pm

I have no doubt that I'm switching when I "need" a new phone.
iphone? It's in the calling settings.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/03/ ... d-t-mobile

Factorial

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Factorial » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:29 pm

Is there a reliable place to buy used iPhone 5s?

Juice

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Juice » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:44 am

I never noticed there was a Project Fi conversation happening...

I've had Project Fi since August on a Nexus 6p. The reception unless covered by wifi is weak, but the area that I live in is notoriously bad for cell reception anyway. I'm almost always covered by wifi being at home or work 90% of my life, which I think is why it works for me from both a voice calling and data usage standpoint. My bills have been: $35.51 Aug, $29.84 Sep, $30.98 Oct, $32.77 Nov. That's limp dick territory.

@count2infinity
@dodint

Juice

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Juice » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:47 am

Source of the post Google Fi doesn't require calling over wifi...
This statement is disingenuous but technically correct, so whatever.

You could buy an airplane and just taxi around never leaving the ground if you wanted. That's not how it was designed, intended, or marketed. But you could.
False. Areas that have good coverage with tmobile, sprint, and us cellular would never need to use wifi calling whatsoever. It just takes the best signal available and uses it, so if that's wifi, so be it.

dodint

Thread of Cellphones

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:01 am

So what differentiates it from any other Android phone? My Note 3 has wifi calling and it's a 3 year old handset. No wifi, it reverts to cellular.

Framed that way this is as remarkable as Apple inventing swiping.

count2infinity

Thread of Cellphones

Postby count2infinity » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:05 am

So what differentiates it from any other Android phone? My Note 3 has wifi calling and it's a 3 year old handset. No wifi, it reverts to cellular.

I think the advantage is the price point. I don't think Google Fi is trying to be groundbreaking, just a better option than the pricey data and calling plans through other carriers.

dodint

Thread of Cellphones

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:08 am

I get that, but my FALSE point was regarding how it was marketed and how it's used. All their promo material at the time clearly emphasized the WiFi part of the service. I stand by my original statement in its actual context.

count2infinity

Thread of Cellphones

Postby count2infinity » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:12 am

I get that, but my FALSE point was regarding how it was marketed and how it's used. All their promo material at the time clearly emphasized the WiFi part of the service. I stand by my original statement in its actual context.
If memory serves, I was doing some research into Google Fi, and when I said you could make calls that are not on Wifi, you said that was disingenuous. The point you made was that it was designed to make calls on wifi... okay. Fair enough. But it can still use cellular reception for data and calls as Juice pointed out. I'm not sure what exactly your railing against here.

willeyeam

Thread of Cellphones

Postby willeyeam » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:17 am

Dodint just likes to dodint sometimes let him be

dodint

Thread of Cellphones

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:18 am

That's fine. I have no amplifying remarks. Just responded to someone that dug up a post from ages ago. I had forgotten all about the service and don't have a stake.

I don't see how we're even disagreeing on anything except, maybe, the intent of the project as Google marketed it.

Juice

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Juice » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:49 am

Can your phone jump from wifi to tmobile to us cellular to wifi to tmobile to sprint all during a single call based on whichever signal is strongest?

dodint

Thread of Cellphones

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:59 am

No, but that was never the question.

That's, like, super neato and all, but not what is being discussed. Nor is it a feature I happen to need. My Sprint service just works.

I'm happy you found a service that works great for you, and is super cheap as a bonus. Congrats.

count2infinity

Thread of Cellphones

Postby count2infinity » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:02 am

dodint: Tell me why it's awesome.

Juice: Here's why it's awesome...

dodint: Congrats, I don't care.

:lol:

Juice

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Juice » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:23 am

Dodint: So what differentiates it from any other Android phone?

Juice: Here's what differentiates it from other Android phones.

Dodint: That was never the question.

dodint

Thread of Cellphones

Postby dodint » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:30 am

You got me there, I suppose I did open that door. My question about differentiation was rhetorical so I didn't actually consider the response to be of actual importance. My mistake.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

skullman80

Thread of Cellphones

Postby skullman80 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:34 am

Against my better judgement I added my 17 year old brother to my cell phone plan. He seems responsible enough and promises to pay me his part of the bill every month. He works now and makes pretty good money for being 17, i just hope this doesn't come back to bite me in the ass. I'm trying to be a good brother and hopefully help show him some responsibility with his money. We shall see how this goes.

DigitalGypsy66

Thread of Cellphones

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:41 am

I was pleasantly surprised to find an update to my nearly two year old Droid Turbo. Upgraded to Marshmallow.

dodint

Thread of Cellphones

Postby dodint » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:45 am

This year is my 4th year with my Note 3 and I still see no reason to change. The tablet I bought is doing the heavy app lifting for casual surfing, but for day to day the N3 is still going strong. I've replaced the battery once.

count2infinity

Thread of Cellphones

Postby count2infinity » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:32 pm

So I've had my Iphone5 for about 5 years now and it's been working great until.... I dropped it right into a sink full of soapy water. I was doing dishes, wanted to put on some music and *ploop* right in. I took it out and immediately shut it down, let it dry and then started it back up. It's been essentially working the same, but sometimes it doesn't charge at night, and the battery life has been bad for some time now. I had planned to go to verizon today because I have an upgrade. Figured I'd do a new 2 year contract since the last one went for 5 years, so it's all good, and guess what? Starting yesterday... YESTERDAY they stopped 2 year contracts and deals on phones for the 2 year contracts. Fun times.

So I guess it's as good a time as ever to re-evaluate what carrier to go with. I think it's gotta be either AT&T or stick with Verizon as they have the best coverage in this area.

skullman80

Thread of Cellphones

Postby skullman80 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:38 pm

All carriesr are doing the same thing with phones now. No one really does two year contracts anymore. You either buy the phone outright, or you finance it over 24 months and pay it off month by month on your bill. AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile all do the same thing.. buy outright or split up the cost of the phone over the course of a couple years on your bill.
Last edited by skullman80 on Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

count2infinity

Thread of Cellphones

Postby count2infinity » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:39 pm

Yeah... I hadn't done any reading at all on wireless carriers and their plans because I just stayed with what I had. Seems like a lot has changed in the last few years.