Thread of Cellphones

shafnutz05

Thread of Cellphones

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 16, 2018 12:52 pm

Had a pretty shtty discovery sitting here at my desk. On my LG V30, the glass over the two camera lens is shattered, and I have absolutely no idea how it happened. I was sitting here all morning at my desk, and had just been taking a picture before work. After doing some Googling, I am seeing a lot of reports and at least two YT videos of people that have had experiences with that glass shattering inexplicably. It looks bizarre too, like there is a hole right above the one lens and then it's shattered around it. The theory I heard was that zooming in and out causes pressure on the glass, and that's your defect.

I have a case on my phone so there is no way that glass should have been able to break. Of course, LG apparently classifies it as damage and won't cover it.

Silentom

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Silentom » Wed May 16, 2018 3:06 pm

Had a pretty shtty discovery sitting here at my desk. On my LG V30, the glass over the two camera lens is shattered, and I have absolutely no idea how it happened. I was sitting here all morning at my desk, and had just been taking a picture before work. After doing some Googling, I am seeing a lot of reports and at least two YT videos of people that have had experiences with that glass shattering inexplicably. It looks bizarre too, like there is a hole right above the one lens and then it's shattered around it. The theory I heard was that zooming in and out causes pressure on the glass, and that's your defect.

I have a case on my phone so there is no way that glass should have been able to break. Of course, LG apparently classifies it as damage and won't cover it.
Can you link these vids? My wife just got a V30 last week.

shafnutz05

Thread of Cellphones

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed May 16, 2018 3:18 pm

Here's the one I found, but there are a bunch of other forum results.

DigitalGypsy66

Thread of Cellphones

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:03 pm

Those of us that use Android Messenger can now link your phone to your desktop, so you can send texts through a browser. Pretty handy for work, and I've always been envious of my wife's ability to that on her Mac.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:49 pm

Nice

Lemon Berry Lobster

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:31 am

Still rocking my Galaxy S4, although I need to laugh when I see the S9 is out or will be soon.

mikey

Thread of Cellphones

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:19 pm

So I think I'm finally ready to retire my Samsung Galaxy S5...not because I've outgrown it, far from it...but the battery doesn't last and is getting a little beat up after 3+ years.

However, much has changed in the cell phone world since my last purchase. I'm used to getting free phones in exchange for committing my life to the same carrier. Which is fine...I've been an AT&T customer for about 13 years or so, never had any problems, couldn't be happier...

But apparently contracts are dead...and now you just pay for a very, very expensive phone, very, very slowly over time. The phone that seems most palatable is just moving up to the Galaxy S9. I don't really like this idea, but it seems like phones are just expensive...more than my computer (thanks dodint...), my laptop and my tablet...so am I just better off paying $25 a month for an $800 (allegedly...) phone or take a lesser model and score one second hand...?

I really hate adding monthly costs to my life, I'd much rather pay for something all up and front and be done with it...but I guess it's not that easy to make a case for that here...and lose whatever protections I'd get from going through my carrier...

People with more experience with new phone technology, any direction I should be nudged...?

MR25

Thread of Cellphones

Postby MR25 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:29 pm

Any Android users out there running into reboot loop issues after downloading the Oreo update?

My phone (Galaxy S7) just started doing this within the last week. First, it was massive battery drain once it got down to ~ 50%, then it went into reboot loop around 60%. I've cleared the cache and tried rebooting in safe mode.

I'm willing to do anything outside of a factory reset because I don't know how or where to backup my info. Anyone have any tips?

Silentom

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Silentom » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:52 am

eddy

Thread of Cellphones

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:56 am

Been running Android Pie for a week now on the Pixel 2, it's been great. Can't stress enough how much I've enjoyed using the Google Project Fi service after ditching Verizon. I haven't had a bill more than $65 total so far this year for both my wife and I.

DigitalGypsy66

Thread of Cellphones

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:28 am

Traded my Droid Turbo for a Pixel 3 a month or two ago. Really love the upgraded Android OS, and the Night Sight camera feature is no joke. Even had my a-hole iOS brother jealous for a few minutes.

This phone has some very interesting features, like an auto-Shazam like feature that detects and identifies ambient music. I know this creeps people out (and I'm not done with such features), but my family is constantly out in public wondering what the name/artist of a song is. This supposedly doesn't send the data to Google...but who knows.

My Google ID was used to backup contacts and settings, which is pretty cool...but it also pulled in most of my saved Wifi passwords. That's a first for me, and my wife's iPhone X didn't do that. It was nice to visit family over Thanksgiving and not have to go find obscure wifi passwords, including my Time Warner/Spectrum public hotspot ID.

Google Assistant...is on steroids compared to whatever Android was on the Turbo. I get all kinds of notifications and updates (some I've disabled, because enough is enough lol), like we were watching the Sunday night football game (Vikings vs. Packers) and because it was on Chromecast (I think), I was getting scoring notifications for that game. I've never willingly searched for either team, so the network stuff must be the reason why I was getting scoring updates. Same thing happened with the Texans-Titans game last night, although Google knows I'm a Deshaun Watson/Nuk Hopkins/DJ Reader/Clemson fan...

Battery life isn't blowing me away, but it charges quickly and usually has plenty of juice at the end of the day. I'd say it's similar to the Droid Turbo, which was exceptional when it was new.

Good phone, highly recommended.

eddy

Thread of Cellphones

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:32 am

Traded my Droid Turbo for a Pixel 3 a month or two ago. Really love the upgraded Android OS, and the Night Sight camera feature is no joke. Even had my a-hole iOS brother jealous for a few minutes.

Night sight mode does some great things in daylight as well, try it out, you get a more natural color.

Are you on project fi network? I can't recommend this enough and if you're using a pixel, it's a no brainer

DigitalGypsy66

Thread of Cellphones

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:52 pm

If we hadn't just bought the two new phones (via payment through Verizon), I probably would try it.

eddy

Thread of Cellphones

Postby eddy » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:10 pm

If we hadn't just bought the two new phones (via payment through Verizon), I probably would try it.
yep, that's what we did too and then found out about fi. After we paid them off, we made the switch. It actually saved us money over the year to pay them off early and go from a $150 bill to $60 each month

DigitalGypsy66

Thread of Cellphones

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:28 pm

Two of our three phones are iOS, so I would be flying solo. Rats.

dodint

Thread of Cellphones

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:50 am

My wife really loved her Galaxy S6 but the battery life was getting shitty. Tried to swap it myself and bricked it. Forgot to download her mothers voicemails first. So now I feel awful, and I'm tied to sprint for two more **** years. Was really hoping to pay off all three lines of service and then look at migrating to AT&T as I'm really unimpressed with the Sprint/TM merger.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Thread of Cellphones

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:01 am

Sprint blows.

bhflyhigh

Thread of Cellphones

Postby bhflyhigh » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:01 am

Are you on project fi network? I can't recommend this enough and if you're using a pixel, it's a no brainer
I had fi and I liked it... except where I work there is no Sprint or T Mobile towers at all. Calls were iffy, texting only worked on cloudy days, and any internet browsing was out of the question. At home, it was awesome but I just couldn't handle being disconnected every day. We have a Verizon tower outside our building so I tried the xfinity mobile and to be honest, it's been amazing. I hate giving money to Comcast, but their plans are cheap and their service is great. Highly recommend.

dodint

Thread of Cellphones

Postby dodint » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:03 am

The service itself has been fine, I've had it since 2005. But the website interface is garbage, it makes me two-factor authenticate and change my password almost every time I login on a computer. T-Mobile is trash and I don't want to be associated with that, so I'm thinking of pulling my service to AT&T to get it under the same umbrella as my DirecTV.

the wicked child

Thread of Cellphones

Postby the wicked child » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:15 am

Picked up an unlocked Galaxy S9 plus... Small problem... Didn't know that a nano sim card was a thing... So still using my S5 until I can get to a store to get a new sim card.

eddy

Thread of Cellphones

Postby eddy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:39 am

looks like Google Fi may be adding Samsung and iphones to their service in the near future.

eddy

Thread of Cellphones

Postby eddy » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:14 pm

Three years after it first launched, Google is making its cell service a little more official today. Project Fi is graduating into something a little more ambitious and getting a new name in the process: Google Fi. But the bigger news is that it’s also going to support more phones — a lot of phones — including the iPhone and “the majority of Android devices.”

But the real difference with Fi is the pricing model: it’s much simpler than what most other networks offer. It’s $20 for a phone line and $10 per gig of data you use — capped at $60 under a newer program it calls “Bill Protection.”

For any phone you purchase [from Google Fi], you’ll receive the same value back in your choice of travel gift cards, which you can spend on flights with Delta and Southwest or lodging with Airbnb and hotels.com. Alternatively, if you’d rather set up Google Fi on your current phone, you’ll earn $200 of Fi service credit when you sign up today.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/28/181 ... t-official

Just got an update through Fi today that sets up data through Fis VPN network when your just on the edge of a wifi signal so now it's a seamless transition. Sounds like a good thing.

willeyeam

Thread of Cellphones

Postby willeyeam » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:18 pm

Wait so if I buy my new Pixel in January through Fi and ditch Verizon I'll get 900 dollars of travel gift cards? Hmmm

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Thread of Cellphones

Postby NailedPenguin » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:24 pm

Think I'm going to amazon an unlocked galaxy S8+ tonight unless some concerned citizens here advise me otherwise. Can get it for about $300 with my reward points. I'm no longer interested in seeing a new phone payment on my bills any longer

mac5155

Thread of Cellphones

Postby mac5155 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:40 am

I think I read you had to port a number over too, so just double check that. (if you planned on a new activation instead)