All things Cigar related

Silentom

All things Cigar related

Postby Silentom » Wed May 20, 2015 8:03 am

Shyster

All things Cigar related

Postby Shyster » Wed May 20, 2015 8:18 pm

I dabbled in pipe smoking a while back. It's not unpleasant at all, and I rather liked it. Of course, there's that whole mouth cancer thing. I figure I'll take it back up with I hit 60 or somewhere around there. I'll probably be dead of something else before I get mouth cancer.

One thing I liked about pipes is that while cigars primarily come from the Caribbean (although plenty of wrapper tobacco is grown in the US), most pipe tobacco is grown right here in the USA. You can also get a huge range of flavors of pipe tobacco from blending the different varieties (like burley, Turkish, latakia, perique, etc.), and that's not even counting the pipe blends that are artificially flavored. Plus, there is massive choice when it comes to pipe styles and sizes, and some of them are really artistic. For example, Savinelli is a big pipe company, and here's the selection of Savinelli pipes offered at pipesandcigars.com:

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/brands/14 ... type=Pipes

It might just be me, but I think some of those are just beautiful. Or check out the more rustic styles of Erik Nordling:

http://www.pipesandcigars.com/brands/13 ... type=Pipes

dodint

All things Cigar related

Postby dodint » Wed May 20, 2015 10:17 pm

As beautiful as they are, this is all I could see:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

All things Cigar related

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed May 20, 2015 10:33 pm

blackjack68

All things Cigar related

Postby blackjack68 » Wed May 20, 2015 11:52 pm

I was a fan of a Fuente 8-5-8 when I smoked on a regular basis.

ExPatriatePen

All things Cigar related

Postby ExPatriatePen » Thu May 21, 2015 9:19 am

Arturo Fuente Black band, the Hemmingway series, is awesome. The green band stuff, not so much.

shmenguin

All things Cigar related

Postby shmenguin » Thu May 21, 2015 10:47 am

used to smoke romeo y julieta's on occasion. had a decent humidor too (which was shamefully neglected). when i was thinking of getting it back into game shape and stocking it up, my father in-law got throat cancer, so i ditched the habit...not that i was worried about my health or anything. just keeping things simple.

Sam's Drunk Dog

All things Cigar related

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:10 pm

Can anyone recommend a decent humidor that isn't too expensive?

shafnutz05

All things Cigar related

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:31 pm

Do you want a wood one that you season?

Sam's Drunk Dog

All things Cigar related

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:05 pm

Do you want a wood one that you season?
Like with salt and pepper?

Craig

All things Cigar related

Postby Craig » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:07 pm

You have to season the humidor with distilled water and/or propylene glycol. I dont really know what other kind of humidor you would want to start with though assuming youre just starting.
Last edited by Craig on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam's Drunk Dog

All things Cigar related

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:12 pm

So by seasoning, do you mean refill every so often? Is there a set schedule, or when it gets low? I really have no preference as long as it works and isn't expensive.

Craig

All things Cigar related

Postby Craig » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:19 pm

You can get one that does the job on amazon for under $50, id probably go a little more expensive than that. Seasoning to start out involves basically putting distilled water in a container or sponge(you should put that on a dish or plastic bag or something so you dont damage the wood) and just letting the humidity soak into the wood until its somewhere between 65 and 70% humidity. You'll want to get a hydrometer which is also pretty cheap(maybe $10). It took me a few days to get the humidity to the right level then its good to go.

In addition to the initial seasoning, you'll also have a humidifier which will likely come with the humidor which you just pour the distilled water into. You'll have that in there from the start with the initial seasoning as well.

Rather than using distilled water or the aforementioned prophlene glycol, you can get fluid for use in the humidor...and they have humidifying beads and random stuff that i dont use. You basically check the humidity and refresh the humidifier as needed. I usually add water to it once every other month or so.

Rather than following my rambling you'll just follow the instructions your humidor gives you. It takes 5-10 minutes a day for a few days to get it ready. Just make sure you check that it comes with a hydrometer and buy one if it doesnt.
Last edited by Craig on Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sam's Drunk Dog

All things Cigar related

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:21 pm

Thanks @Craig

Factorial

All things Cigar related

Postby Factorial » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:41 pm

Any pipe smokers here?

dodint

All things Cigar related

Postby dodint » Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:48 am

My understanding is the pipe is the absolute least healthy way to smoke; i.e., the best way to catch face cancer.

llipgh2

All things Cigar related

Postby llipgh2 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:00 am

Its funny, Cigars and Pipes, I love the smell of...

The smell of Marlboro lights makes me want to flick the cig out of someones mouth and stomp on it
Can't stand cigar or cigarette smoke. But there is something pleasant about the smell of pipe smoke.

eddy

All things Cigar related

Postby eddy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:11 am

So by seasoning, do you mean refill every so often? Is there a set schedule, or when it gets low? I really have no preference as long as it works and isn't expensive.
you need to soak paper towels with distilled water and put a coat inside of the humidor, you don't want it sopping wet, but get it good everywhere that cedar is showing, I would do this 2-4 times a year. After it is seasoned, you need something like this (http://www.cigarsinternational.com/humi ... n/#p-19706)
to keep constant humidity inside the humidor. Just fill that with a little distilled water and you are good to go. Depending on how big your humidor is, you may need to get 2 or a bigger version. That should last you a few months. It won't keep humidity if it's not seasoned well. Get a nice digital hygrometer for inside so you know where you are at with humidity (the analog ones that come with a less expensive humidor are garbage) (http://www.cigarsinternational.com/hygr ... ygrometer/) you can always do a salt test with these to get them pretty close to perfect 72% which you can use to calibrate others

From experience, I will say if you get a cheap humidor, expect a lot of upkeep (seasoning often, going through humidity gel, etc).

Shyster

All things Cigar related

Postby Shyster » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:40 pm

My understanding is the pipe is the absolute least healthy way to smoke; i.e., the best way to catch face cancer.
I was curious so I ran a bunch of searches on this topic. Basically, researchers think that pipe smoking is roughly the same as cigar smoking, but there's not a lot of research on the area because so few people smoke pipes these days. People who smoke pipes are like people who still drive manual transmissions—a small group that's getting smaller. I do know that some brands of pipes include the ability to use a filter, and I would imagine (although I have no proof) that filtered pipe smoke wouldn't be any worse than unfiltered cigar smoke.

Craig

All things Cigar related

Postby Craig » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:03 pm

Ive been smoking baccarat almost exclusively this summer aside from the more expensive cigars i bought at my wedding. What is everyone's go to?

dodint

All things Cigar related

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:49 pm

I was curious so I ran a bunch of searches on this topic. Basically, researchers think that pipe smoking is roughly the same as cigar smoking, but there's not a lot of research on the area because so few people smoke pipes these days. People who smoke pipes are like people who still drive manual transmissions—a small group that's getting smaller. I do know that some brands of pipes include the ability to use a filter, and I would imagine (although I have no proof) that filtered pipe smoke wouldn't be any worse than unfiltered cigar smoke.
I always heard that it increased the chances of oral cancers specifically, not necessarily lung cancer.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

All things Cigar related

Postby meow » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:22 pm

Its funny, Cigars and Pipes, I love the smell of...

The smell of Marlboro lights makes me want to flick the cig out of someones mouth and stomp on it
Can't stand cigar or cigarette smoke. But there is something pleasant about the smell of pipe smoke.
The smell of a pipe is my number scent tied to nostalgia. Takes me back to my pap smoking his pipe while we fished. Stops me in my tracks everytime

Factorial

All things Cigar related

Postby Factorial » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:35 pm

I've been rolling my own for a week or so now with one of these:

using this:

Cost of making your own: $.50 (vs $7 at the store) per pack. It's cheap and low grade and too pungent so I'm going to get this next:

Shyster

All things Cigar related

Postby Shyster » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:46 pm

I always heard that it increased the chances of oral cancers specifically, not necessarily lung cancer.
It certainly does increase the risk of oral cancers. It's not clear that pipes are any better or worse than cigars in that regard. I'm also not sure how they would compare to chewing tobacco in terms of cancer of the mouth/gums.

Sam's Drunk Dog

All things Cigar related

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:01 am

Does anyone here inhale cigar or pipe smoke? I probably smoke a cigar once every 3 months, so I feel that should drastically reduce the chance of mouth/throat cancer.