Poll: How often do you use postage stamps?

How often do you use postage stamps?

At least once a week
3%
Once a month or so
26%
A few times a year
29%
A rare special occasion
43%
I have not used a postage stamp as an adult
No votes

Total votes: 35
mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:27 pm

Intent of the question is: You have/have purchased postage stamps and you have them in your home. And the poll answer reflects how often you use those stamps from your home to get mail out of your face.

Why do I ask? Well, we were sending out thank you cards from our wedding. I was charged with buying a couple of books of stamps from the post office. I don't think about stamps at all and I don't believe I've ever commented on the stamps I've received in any way. So I asked the post office zombie for a couple of books. They handed me whatever was closest to them. They happened to have American flags on them and I took them and walked away without thinking anything about it.

Apparently flag stamps were not an acceptable choice to the wife. So, untouched, I took them back to the post office and just said, "ah, sorry...can I swap these out for another design...something with a flower on it or whatever..." and they said "No!"

I'll cut that little exchange short right there. Ultimately, I had to buy two more books of stamps...prettier stamps.

So, I have these flag stamps which I will never ever use because I don't mail things with stamps. At all. And haven't...except for these thank you cards. So...I put the stamp books on ebay for a few bucks less than what I paid because they have roughly zero value to me. So I'd rather have 75 or 80% of my money back, then have to store and move with these stamps for most of the rest of my life. They sold within 24 hours. My wife thinks that's silly...and that I should have just kept the stamps with the hopes of using them over time instead of selling them at any kind of loss...

##

Ya know...my stories used to be about pulling an all nighter on a Thursday and doing a bunch of blow off of the t*ts of these twins that I met at a warehouse party and still making it to work on time...on the other side of covid, my stories are about the folly of postage purchases gone slightly awry...what a dickless fop I've become haha

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:28 pm

Once or twice a month for work-related mailings (County tax forms, etc), plus mail-in ballots outside of work when applicable.

Kane

Postby Kane » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:29 pm

Once a month for one of my bills. Can't pay it online, but I might be able to schedule it through my bank instead. It'd be nice to not bother with that anymore.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:33 pm

for my business i send out 100 stamps a month or so. in november i purchased 1000 forever stamps from 2017 for under 19 cents each. $188. best deal i ever found and i can't believe it was legit. i used to be able to find them for about 38 cents but these days it seems lucky to get them for more than just a few cents less than cost.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:33 pm

My wife buys a bunch for Christmas cards and the leftovers generally last through the year.

JC2

Postby JC2 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:35 pm

Hardly ever.

Only time I use them is if there's an annoyingly high convenience fee for paying online. I think I bought a roll 5+ years ago and still have them.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:44 pm

I'm not sure what strikes me as sillier. Selling new stamps on eBay, or buying new stamps on eBay.

Festivus cards. Pool guy uses Quickbooks, but the landscaper guy provides a SASE with his monthly invoice. Maybe 2-3 other items in a given year?
...plus mail-in ballots outside of work when applicable.
Poll tax!

:wink:

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:48 pm

Once a year when we mail out christmas cards. We buy a book or two and that is the only time we use them.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:55 pm

I had to mail something a few weeks ago so I had to procure stamps. A few days after buying them and using one, I noticed that I already had other stamps

so frequently enough that I would buy them at least twice in the last couple years but infrequently enough that I could forget that I owned some

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:04 pm

I’m about 1-2 stamps a year for miscellaneous stuff. I don’t understand the decorative stamps… like who gets mail, looks at the stamp and thinks, “wow, that was nice and thoughtful of the sender”?

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:04 pm

I'm not sure what strikes me as sillier. Selling new stamps on eBay, or buying new stamps on eBay.

Festivus cards. Pool guy uses Quickbooks, but the landscaper guy provides a SASE with his monthly invoice. Maybe 2-3 other items in a given year?
...plus mail-in ballots outside of work when applicable.
Poll tax!

:wink:
:D silly in the save $400 kind of way?

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:11 pm

Did you charge they buyer shipping or did you just take it out of one of the books of stamps?

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:17 pm

Outside of Xmas cards, I use maybe 2 or 3 stamps a year.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:18 pm

If you're dealing in quantities that amount to hundreds of dollars, maybe there's sense to be made.

But a book or two? Just chalk it up to a life lesson and don't deal with it again. It's not like the stamps go bad or will spoil like fruit on the counter. Do what normal people do, and put them in your packet/junk drawer and forget about them.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:18 pm

Given that they're Forever stamps I would've just thrown them in a drawer. You would have been the hero when you wife needed a boring on flag stamp someday.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:22 pm

We do not have a junk drawer.

I purchased a stamp to mail these to some other person at the post office using useless change from the useless change cup...

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:24 pm

Ah. I found the modern equivalent of the 'I don't own a TV' guy.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:46 pm

Once a month for my rent check.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:24 pm

1. they should only make american flag stamps

2. we bought a book when we bought our house because we had to paper mail something or other. we still have half the book and that was in 2016. so…not often…

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:26 pm

what does "we don't have a junk drawer" even mean?

all I can think of is that (a) either mikey is anally organized and every drawer in his household has a specific category of items in it or (b) he doesn't understand that junk drawer just means a drawer with a bunch of random items in it

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:21 pm

I am not anally organized, and I do understand what a junk drawer is. I just don't have one. There aren't a lot of drawers available in this apartment.

I'll give a brief explanation of things found in a junk drawer and how they're stored in my world...
Writing supplies - She is very artsy. She has a special thing where all of our art supplies are, which also includes day to day stuff like pens (though no one writes any more, of course). I keep a pen near areas where I frequent in case I want to capture an idea. On my nightstand and near the two areas I usually work.

Change is kept in a single cup on my dresser. It rarely receives any business because no one uses cash anymore.

Scissors are on hooks in the kitchen on a little storage unit thing that also holds boxed dry goods like noodles, crackers, etc.

Batteries and excess cords/chargers are in a drawer in my standing desk in my office.

Small tools are stored with other tools in my toolbox which is stored in a closet.

I'm not sure what else is junk drawer eligible, but I'd be happy to field these...I either don't have the thing you're talking about (like stamps) or it has a sensible place among its friends and relatives, but I don't find myself to be very organized overall. When I moved last, I had a box that had both pots and pans, but also a baseball glove, baseballs, and scarves. So I'm thinking, once again, I don't quite fit into a specific box here haha

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:30 pm

Do you own any rubber bands?

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:38 pm

I don't know. I know there is one rubber band around my change cup. It's possible there are some rubber bands in one of the art supply drawers. It's not something that I use on a regular basis. So, it's one of those things where I know where one is in an emergency...a rubber band emergency...but I'd be surprised if we had a whole mess of'em.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:44 pm

Ah, so you do have a junk drawer.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:59 pm

At Christmas.