Steelers 2024 Offseason Thread

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri May 03, 2024 4:13 pm

1.) I’m completely fine with not picking up the 5th year and seeing how it pans out. don’t get yourself pinned down at this point

B.) Warren’s secret sauce is his usage. I don’t think he’s as impactful with a heavier workload

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 03, 2024 4:56 pm

B.) Warren’s secret sauce is his usage. I don’t think he’s as impactful with a heavier workload
Ideal change of pace back, not a bellcow :thumb:

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Fri May 03, 2024 5:16 pm

This seems pretty obvious...I think one of the reasons why RB has become a devalued position isn't that there are less talented backs, it's that teams don't build their offensive core around running the ball. In fact, most teams view the run as a way to set up the pass, not necessarily as a productive part of their scheme in and of itself. Their impact has been almost completely neutered.

I think when I was growing up, it was generally understood that RBs were probably the best 'all around' athletes on either side of the ball. Now, the Steelers will have 2 inside linebackers that are bigger and faster than either Warren or Harris. It's kinda crazy.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri May 03, 2024 6:08 pm

My favorite offensive football players have always been multi-purpose backs like Brian Westbrook and LaDanian Tomlinson, and obvi CMC is the standard bearer in today's game. That's actually what I like most about Warren moreso than Harris - I think he has an element of that in his game that's only been hinted at so far at this level.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Fri May 03, 2024 10:15 pm

I'd get Thurman Thomas 100+ receptions every season in tecmo super bowl

Lemon Berry Lobster

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Wed May 08, 2024 1:39 pm

meow

Postby meow » Wed May 08, 2024 1:48 pm

excuse me if I’m not excited over a white receiver after our last foray at it

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed May 08, 2024 3:32 pm

Seems like the Steelers saw the success of the pirates acquisition of Rowdy Tellez and decided to try to solve the wide receiver situation by implementing the same strategy

meow

Postby meow » Wed May 08, 2024 4:52 pm

explain this to those of us who don’t waste our own time following the pirates

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed May 08, 2024 4:53 pm

Rowdy is functionally useless.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Thu May 09, 2024 12:02 pm

is this guy funny or something?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu May 09, 2024 12:33 pm

explain this to those of us who don’t waste our own time following the pirates
I read the joke as “it’s rowdy time!” Has been used and people like it. It’s Miller time will also be a hit.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Sun May 12, 2024 10:06 am

Watching some interviews of the 3 OL linemen from this year's draft at minicamp. My goodness do they seem put together, mature for their ages, and ready to work. I know that may mean very little on Sundays, but bringing in several young players to one unit, especially one like OL where cohesion and maturity seem to matter a bit more, could end up in a 'lesser than the sum of their parts' scenario. But honestly thinking of these guys working and learning together, and Jones being only 1 year in, with a new OCoord (not trying to fit into an existing offensive plan, but kinda learning with everyone else) has me psyched. I know historically the Steelers have been loath to start rookies at key positions, even when it's pretty obvious they should, but........

Oh, and evidently Payton Wilson does have an ACL now, it just looks different on scans or some ish...and the first time he ever heard someone say he didn't have one was actually at the combine? That's...interesting. And he should probably fire his representation for not blasting that narrative out of the water pre-draft. I know he's got shoulder issues as well, but all I heard about him before the draft was 'best LB in the class, but he doesn't have an ACL' If that ends up as just some kinda over-exaggeration by some media types, well....thank you I guess. :lol:

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sun May 12, 2024 10:11 am

Watching some interviews of the 3 OL linemen from this year's draft at minicamp. My goodness do they seem put together, mature for their ages, and ready to work. I know that may mean very little on Sundays, but bringing in several young players to one unit, especially one like OL where cohesion and maturity seem to matter a bit more, could end up in a 'lesser than the sum of their parts' scenario. But honestly thinking of these guys working and learning together, and Jones being only 1 year in, with a new OCoord (not trying to fit into an existing offensive plan, but kinda learning with everyone else) has me psyched. I know historically the Steelers have been loath to start rookies at key positions, even when it's pretty obvious they should, but........

Oh, and evidently Payton Wilson does have an ACL now, it just looks different on scans or some ish...and the first time he ever heard someone say he didn't have one was actually at the combine? That's...interesting. And he should probably fire his representation for not blasting that narrative out of the water pre-draft. I know he's got shoulder issues as well, but all I heard about him before the draft was 'best LB in the class, but he doesn't have an ACL' If that ends up as just some kinda over-exaggeration by some media types, well....thank you I guess. :lol:
They've started three rookie OL in the past like four years

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Sun May 12, 2024 10:37 am

They've started three rookie OL in the past like four years
Yeah...realized that after I typed it. Was thinking about starting the season since Jones took a bit to see the field last year. I guess Green and Moore both were day 1 starters...totally forgot Moore won the starting job out of camp. So C and OT. Hmm. Wonder if it makes them at all gunshy re: Fautanu and Frazier? Although, the pedigree is a bit different this year IMO.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Sun May 12, 2024 10:47 am

Jones was younger coming out, so that was probably a big driver in easing him into the starting lineup.

Frazier is around the same age as him, has a lot of snaps in college, and has zero competition in camp. I think he's C1 coming into training camp.

Fataunu is older than both of those guys, i think they may just trade Moore at the end of camp to clear his path. Only question I guess is whether Jones moves from right to left. I don't understand the mechanics of that decision and don't know how that positional alignment makes sense.

As for Wilson, they used a third last year on Darnell Washington, a guy with major long term limitations. I think Wilson is actually far more likely to have a long career than Washington. I think it's the right time to take that kind of risk in the draft. If you get 2-3 good years out of a day two pick, that's a win.

But back to the line, it's the foundation of a good offense. Williamson illustrated the lack of attention they've put on the line since the DeCastro pick on a podcast last week. Khan has seemingly fixed that in two drafts (and also added a few other potential foundational pieces like Porter, Benton, and the Wilsons).

Roman Wilson basically needs to become Steve Smith for the WR room, and the DL is approaching dumpster fire as well if Heyward is cooked. And they might still need a qb for '25. Otherwise, things are good.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed May 15, 2024 4:43 pm

Steelers will be hosting the Chiefs on Christmas Day at 1 PM. Game will be on Netflix nationally.

Full schedule without times

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:51 pm

That first half of a schedule up until the bye should be a cakewalk. Lots of bad teams outside of maybe the Cowboys.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed May 15, 2024 5:19 pm

All the divisional games in the second half of the year?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 15, 2024 5:23 pm

All the divisional games in the second half of the year?
That's super weird

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed May 15, 2024 5:35 pm

Four of the first six on the road is weird too.

And then weeks 15-17 being the toughest of the bunch will definitely be an issue.

This schedule sucks.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Wed May 15, 2024 9:36 pm

Better start 7-2

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed May 15, 2024 10:58 pm

Eagles - 6 days - Ravens - 4 days - Chiefs

GTFOH

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Thu May 16, 2024 6:44 am

GTFOH

6 of your last 8 are division games...with Philly and KC as the 2 non-division. And 3 games in 11 days is borderline dangerous, especially that late in the year. That's effing ridiculous.

Player safety is evidently not a priority around the holidays.

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Thu May 16, 2024 6:52 am

GTFOH

Player safety is not a priority.