Help Needed/Wanted for 5AF

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:15 pm

Just take our damn money. If everyone who offered tossed ya $20 you'd be covered for the year and then some
I will set up a donate link, thanks to you. Zero expectation - I've been buying for years and years I think at this point. C2I, Shad, and KS used to front as well.

It was never a big deal until Bluehost said lol $700.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:17 pm

-- Hey, can you make me a new message board forum using phpBB or whatever MIMH hates? --

Sure thing! I can help you set up a new message board forum using phpBB. It's a popular and user-friendly platform. First, you'll need a web hosting service that supports PHP and a database like MySQL. Do you have those ready, or do you need assistance with that as well?

-- We have that already. --

Great! Here's a simplified step-by-step guide to set up a phpBB forum:

1. **Download phpBB:**
- Visit the [official phpBB website](https://www.phpbb.com/) and download the latest stable release.
- Extract the downloaded file to your local machine.

2. **Upload phpBB Files:**
- Use an FTP client to upload the extracted phpBB files to your web hosting server.

3. **Create a Database:**
- Create a new MySQL user and grant it full privileges for the database.

4. **Install phpBB:**
- Open your web browser and navigate to the directory where you uploaded phpBB (e.g., `http://yourdomain.com/forum`).
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
- Enter the database details (name, username, password) when prompted.

5. **Configure phpBB:**
- Set up your admin account and configure other basic settings during the installation process.

6. **Customize your Forum:**
- Customize your forum's appearance, create forums and categories, and set permissions.

7. **Test and Launch:**
- Test the functionality of your forum by creating test posts, topics, and user accounts.
- Once satisfied, announce the forum's launch to your community.

That's it! You should now have a functional phpBB forum. If you encounter any issues or have specific questions during the process, feel free to ask for help. Good luck with your new message board forum!

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:18 pm

Yeah, Kicksave used advertising the first year or two, then Google Ads gave us the boot. We all did some work with covering the costs, but like Mork said... at the time it was like $100 a year. That wasn't a ball buster. Jacking it up to current prices would be difficult to explain to the wife. :lol:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:23 pm

-- Hey, can you make me a new message board forum using phpBB or whatever MIMH hates? --

Sure thing! I can help you set up a new message board forum using phpBB. It's a popular and user-friendly platform. First, you'll need a web hosting service that supports PHP and a database like MySQL. Do you have those ready, or do you need assistance with that as well?

-- We have that already. --

Great! Here's a simplified step-by-step guide to set up a phpBB forum:

1. **Download phpBB:**
- Visit the [official phpBB website](https://www.phpbb.com/) and download the latest stable release.
- Extract the downloaded file to your local machine.

2. **Upload phpBB Files:**
- Use an FTP client to upload the extracted phpBB files to your web hosting server.

3. **Create a Database:**
- Create a new MySQL user and grant it full privileges for the database.

4. **Install phpBB:**
- Open your web browser and navigate to the directory where you uploaded phpBB (e.g., `http://yourdomain.com/forum`).
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process.
- Enter the database details (name, username, password) when prompted.

5. **Configure phpBB:**
- Set up your admin account and configure other basic settings during the installation process.

6. **Customize your Forum:**
- Customize your forum's appearance, create forums and categories, and set permissions.

7. **Test and Launch:**
- Test the functionality of your forum by creating test posts, topics, and user accounts.
- Once satisfied, announce the forum's launch to your community.

That's it! You should now have a functional phpBB forum. If you encounter any issues or have specific questions during the process, feel free to ask for help. Good luck with your new message board forum!
Are you purposely being a dick or no?

I have to update php to newest version, make backups, then upgrade, then hope nothing stupid happens and then no.

MIMH is going through exactly what I did and I’m grateful for the help?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:26 pm

Huh? It's just a gag, man...I figured that both the use of chatGPT and the prompt made that obvious...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:28 pm

MIMH with elevated access? I rescind my donation offer.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:29 pm

Oh no... now MIMH can see the admin forum and all the sh*t we talk about you guys.

Rylan

Postby Rylan » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:34 pm

if he turns blue, i am out.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:34 pm

Oh no... now MIMH can see the admin forum and all the sh*t we talk about you guys.
I'm willing to bet it's mostly about me anyway :lol:

I'm playing around with the browser and seeing what the html structure is. For whatever reason in Subway, the blockquote html element has a class of "uncited"...why? idk. but I played around with it and got quotes to show right on my browser

now I just need to figure out how tf to edit a theme at the system level itself

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:37 pm

I'm gonna upgrade tonight/this weekend. Subway will likely go away, they don't make that theme anymore.

I have to - upgrade MYSQL database to like anything about whatever it is now, potentially update PHP, and then install new PHPBB. I suspect we're gonna lose themes, but it would finally be within late 90's PHPBB forums.

Rylan

Postby Rylan » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:38 pm

prosilver > subway anyways.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:40 pm

I'm willing to bet it's mostly about me anyway :lol:
I actually just went and looked. We haven't used that forum since the problem children got the boot. And even then we never used it.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:45 pm

Huh? It's just a gag, man...I figured that both the use of chatGPT and the prompt made that obvious...
sorry dude, long day :(

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Dec 01, 2023 4:57 pm

I'm gonna upgrade tonight/this weekend. Subway will likely go away, they don't make that theme anymore.

I have to - upgrade MYSQL database to like anything about whatever it is now, potentially update PHP, and then install new PHPBB. I suspect we're gonna lose themes, but it would finally be within late 90's PHPBB forums.
hm honestly I'd be surprised if the themes go away. And I know that Subway is not supported anymore but I can just do maintenance myself with it. I lke it aesthetically, there's just some things that would be a nice upgrade and I know enough html/css to do it myself

also I just learned how to to connect to the server's file system so I should be able to do anything we need now in terms of those types of changes

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:01 pm

Weenie is gonna boot us all now. ****

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:07 pm

He's going to become some sort of secret super admin, and scrape hundredths and thousandths of posts into his post count slowly over time...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:09 pm

These two dadholes are going to roll out a change in prod with no UAT.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:30 pm

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:32 pm

Just backups of everything, please

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:36 pm

hm honestly I'd be surprised if the themes go away. And I know that Subway is not supported anymore but I can just do maintenance myself with it. I lke it aesthetically, there's just some things that would be a nice upgrade and I know enough html/css to do it myself

also I just learned how to to connect to the server's file system so I should be able to do anything we need now in terms of those types of changes
Merge my two accounts while you are rooting around in there.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:42 pm

heyyy Morkyyyy can you check that last PM I sent you thaaaanks

also I need the password for the server :lol:

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:48 pm

It would be efficient of me to accept that short "email" above in place of a status meeting...but I'd feel much better blocking off 30 minutes of 23 people's time to get the same message...please standby.

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:53 pm

How can we trust a guy who doesn't know the difference between orange and yellow to handle something like the tech behind this website?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:56 pm

How can we trust a guy who doesn't know the difference between orange and yellow to handle something like the tech behind this website?
it's my ability to see orange when everyone else sees yellow that makes me deserving of this spot. I am enlightened

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Dec 01, 2023 6:12 pm

Can we get a dark mode yet?