RIP

tifosi77

RIP

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:11 pm

The local Fox affiliate interviewed a guy near the crash site who broke the news on live TV that an Orange County baseball coach was also on board.

tifosi77

RIP

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:15 pm

Also, TMZ is not really less of a trashcan for being right. I'm sure the Bryant family appreciated the opportunity to learn of their patriarch's death from Harvey Levin at the same time we all found out about it.

mikey

RIP

Postby mikey » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:15 pm

TMZ out-professional-journalismed ABC News...

Re: Sheriff comments. What should every news outlet do in that situation...? I'm saying it's right wrong or indifferent, but that's just not the nature of the world today...

dodint

RIP

Postby dodint » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:20 pm

Also, TMZ is not really less of a trashcan for being right. I'm sure the Bryant family appreciated the opportunity to learn of their patriarch's death from Harvey Levin at the same time we all found out about it.
When you hold yourself out as a public figure and reap fantastic wealth from that you've forfeited the expectation of privacy when you've died in a spectacular fashion in a public place.

What's the right way? Let LA County take their time so when it's announced 9 hours from now the Twitter world is completely awash in rumors from repeated leaks? Not entirely facetious here; how would you have liked it to be handled?

dodint

RIP

Postby dodint » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:21 pm

Was writing while mikey posted, not trying to pile on.

NOW ANSWER ME YOU COWARD.

Trip McNeely

RIP

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:27 pm

When you hold yourself out as a public figure and reap fantastic wealth from that you've forfeited the expectation of privacy when you've died in a spectacular fashion in a public place.

What's the right way? Let LA County take their time so when it's announced 9 hours from now the Twitter world is completely awash in rumors from repeated leaks? Not entirely facetious here; how would you have liked it to be handled?
Maybe wait like 30 minutes, the time it would take for someone to alert Kobe’s wife.

tifosi77

RIP

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:30 pm

Once the identity is confirmed, we're talking about a delay of perhaps 30 minutes to allow for family notications. It's not a long time. But it is long enough to jeopardize the scoop, so you know, roll with it!

Also, there's probably some projecting going on because at the time the universe of people who would've had that info to leak to TMZ would've been disproportionately populated by law enforcement.

mikey

RIP

Postby mikey » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:33 pm

So...who enforces this universal gag order...and how...?

Or is this one of those "I wish no one was homeless" nicety trinkets...?

Trip McNeely

RIP

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:34 pm

So...who enforces this universal gag order...and how...?

Or is this one of those "I wish no one was homeless" nicety trinkets...?
No one enforces it. Usually companies self regulate and say “let’s wait on running this a couple minutes

tifosi77

RIP

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:45 pm

Yeah, it's an ethical thing like holding off on a story unless you have two independent sources.

MWB

RIP

Postby MWB » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:47 pm

I was a huge Magic-era Lakers fan growing up. When the Colorado thing happened with Kobe, it soured me on him and really didn’t follow NBA as much after (more because of just life stuff than that). But watching how the videos with his daughter and how he seemed to genuinely be with them, it’s heartbreaking. Doesn’t help that I have a daughter a little older than his daughter who I spend a ton of time with coaching and on the basketball court. So sad.

dodint

RIP

Postby dodint » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:53 pm

The idea that a 'scoop could be jeopardized' just proves why your sentiment is out dated. If this is 1978 LA County could've had their somber press conference in front of a bank of reporters on their own time. That's not the world we live in, and hasn't been since...OJ?

I understand that your concept of the ideal situation is noble. It's just not practical, or even a reasonable expectation. A megastar crashed his helicopter in LA, on camera. News isn't going to wait for decorum. Which, again, TMZ did much better than ABC.

MWB

RIP

Postby MWB » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:12 pm

There’s no way to regulate it or stop it, but I can’t imagine finding out a loved one died by reading it on Twitter. It sucks.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

RIP

Postby count2infinity » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:16 pm

I found out my grandmother died via a facebook update from one of my cousins. It sucks, but it is what it is.

dodint

RIP

Postby dodint » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:17 pm

I suppose my underlying issue with that exchange is that the LA County Sheriff thinks it has moral high ground over...anyone. The press is bad but they're not out killing people.

Dickie Dunn

RIP

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:20 pm

Let’s not act like it wasn’t someone in the Sheriffs department who informed TMZ in the first place.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

RIP

Postby LITT » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:20 pm

This **** stinks

mikey

RIP

Postby mikey » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:20 pm

Yeah, what dodint said. Are they any examples that have happened since - whatever - Princess Diana (?) where this is actually happening still...? This story isn't coming to the world at the 11 o'clock news or in tomorrow's paper...it's coming to the world on twitter...

tifosi77

RIP

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:49 pm

This isn't about waiting for the official public press conference and announcement. It's just about waiting until after the families have been privately notified so the kids don't find out their dad died because #kobecrash started trending on Twitter. TMZ reported this less than an hour after authorities got the fire out, so there couldn't have been more than maybe two dezon people that were aware of the identities of some of the victims, none of whom were named 'Bryant'.

Also, the video that's been trending that purports to show the crash is a hoax. Not Kobe, and apparently not even a crash from the US.

shafnutz05

RIP

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:17 pm

Man... Kobe was clearly embracing fatherhood in his retirement and was going to be fun to watch as an elder statesman in the league. This just really sucks.

crusherstasiak

RIP

Postby crusherstasiak » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:43 pm

My condolences, Tony

crusherstasiak

RIP

Postby crusherstasiak » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:48 pm

Trip McNeely

RIP

Postby Trip McNeely » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:03 pm

She did a great job. And she’s pretty awesome in general

Orlando Penguin

RIP

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:31 pm

I'm not sure how much perspective I can lend you from inside the business, but I'll try. I can tell you that the night Arnold Palmer died, we found out a little after 6:00 when Rory finished off his first FedExCup win at the Tour Championship. While some other golf writers had gotten wind of it and tweeted things out, there was either a collective agreement across networks to let us be the first to break it or the family rep made sure not to confirm anything to them until we first ran it. Nowadays with the way social media is, it's a giant competition to see who can do something first rather than getting it right. What ABC News did today was an abomination. Whatever network ran the Rick Fox news should be completely shamed. Unfortunately, those things probably won't get brought up much anymore because the tidal wave of tributes plus whatever other news is out there will wash it away. The rule of waiting until next of kin is notified does not apply in the race to be first. But in the end, who really gives a F who was first? It's 8 hours after the fact. Is anyone saying that TMZ was first with it? Nope. That 'gold medal' only lasts like an hour and truly, it doesn't matter. But damn, if you try to beat someone to something and you get it wrong, your organization should get sued until you run out of attorney's fees.

shafnutz05

RIP

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:34 pm

Good stuff OP.

That clip of Rivers was heartbreaking. That is not a man that cries often.