2023 Penn State Football Thread

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Dec 30, 2023 3:23 pm

This one will be useful for years

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:37 pm

I think ntp is a gif maker… perhaps he’ll give it a go? @NTP66

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:44 pm

This was another Franklin Special. Not quite a masterpiece. He'll save that for the first round of the CFP next year when they get blown off the field. The nation saw today why PSU rarely wins the big games in conference. Yes, the defense was a dumpster fire because Kiffin correctly picked on the 2 new corners and saw in film study just how awful PSU is at covering the TE. When you get outcoached by Lane Kiffin, that's saying a lot for how bloated your contract is. But let's look at the offensive side of the ball, somewhere PSU should have had an edge given that the Rebs D was worse statistically than Rutgers and Sparty:

--1st drive, gash the hell out of them with the run and then once you get into the RZ, let's start chucking it. Players talked in the lead-up about keeping it simple and sticking with what worked. This was the first sign of trouble.
--End of 1st half -- has all 3 timeouts left but is backed up after the punt. Runs the JoePa trademarked draw play to Potts for 15 yards and goes into hurry up. Remember, all 3 timeouts remaining. Next play is another draw to Potts. Still in hurry-up, the next play is a missed swing pass to Potts that would have gone nowhere if completed. 3rd down play is an Allar QB draw. Ole Miss calls TO with :45 left and gets the ball back. Had Kiffin been smart (and he's not strategically), Rebs could have easily gotten into FG position. But if you're gonna go hurry-up, why not chuck the ball and get another score before getting the ball to start 2nd half? Or, you can just say screw it and take a knee and go in at half. Mystifying logic there.
--Start of 2nd half -- a pair of 3 and outs. Great adjustments.
--4th qtr, down 31-17 -- get a couple of positive plays and put the ball to the 27. Maybe this is the opportunity to get it within 7. I know, let's try that Pribula to Allar lateral and Allar can toss it. Except Pribula launches it over Allar's head for a 12-yard loss. Now there's 11 minutes left and it's 4th and 17. I know, let's try a FG to cut it to a...2-score game!! Kick is blocked and that's all she wrote for PSU's chances.

The biggest thing that needs to change is in the WR room. Anyone see #3 Dante Cephas today? I don't remember ever seeing him. Anyone find #1 Keandre Lambert-Smith? Last I saw, he was on the side of a milk carton at the local 7-11. Oh wait, he did have one go through his hands in the 4th quarter. Whatever the reason for Franklin firing last year's WR coach couldn't have been that egregious (the guy is at Air Force now and they have some high moral standards there). The guy they brought in did ZERO to make that position group better.

I'm just glad I didn't have any inkling to go to this game.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:52 pm

I think whatever is ailing Allar is all mental and/or scheme. But it is certainly concerning that we've had these high end recruit pocket passer QBs fail and these Joe schmo dual threat QBs that succeed.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:39 pm

Turned the TV on this morning and saw this game on the guide. Tuned it in, the Bad Guys immediately scored a TD, and so I checked out.

#pride

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Dec 30, 2023 7:05 pm

This was another Franklin Special. Not quite a masterpiece. He'll save that for the first round of the CFP next year when they get blown off the field. The nation saw today why PSU rarely wins the big games in conference. Yes, the defense was a dumpster fire because Kiffin correctly picked on the 2 new corners and saw in film study just how awful PSU is at covering the TE. When you get outcoached by Lane Kiffin, that's saying a lot for how bloated your contract is. But let's look at the offensive side of the ball, somewhere PSU should have had an edge given that the Rebs D was worse statistically than Rutgers and Sparty:

--1st drive, gash the hell out of them with the run and then once you get into the RZ, let's start chucking it. Players talked in the lead-up about keeping it simple and sticking with what worked. This was the first sign of trouble.
--End of 1st half -- has all 3 timeouts left but is backed up after the punt. Runs the JoePa trademarked draw play to Potts for 15 yards and goes into hurry up. Remember, all 3 timeouts remaining. Next play is another draw to Potts. Still in hurry-up, the next play is a missed swing pass to Potts that would have gone nowhere if completed. 3rd down play is an Allar QB draw. Ole Miss calls TO with :45 left and gets the ball back. Had Kiffin been smart (and he's not strategically), Rebs could have easily gotten into FG position. But if you're gonna go hurry-up, why not chuck the ball and get another score before getting the ball to start 2nd half? Or, you can just say screw it and take a knee and go in at half. Mystifying logic there.
--Start of 2nd half -- a pair of 3 and outs. Great adjustments.
--4th qtr, down 31-17 -- get a couple of positive plays and put the ball to the 27. Maybe this is the opportunity to get it within 7. I know, let's try that Pribula to Allar lateral and Allar can toss it. Except Pribula launches it over Allar's head for a 12-yard loss. Now there's 11 minutes left and it's 4th and 17. I know, let's try a FG to cut it to a...2-score game!! Kick is blocked and that's all she wrote for PSU's chances.

The biggest thing that needs to change is in the WR room. Anyone see #3 Dante Cephas today? I don't remember ever seeing him. Anyone find #1 Keandre Lambert-Smith? Last I saw, he was on the side of a milk carton at the local 7-11. Oh wait, he did have one go through his hands in the 4th quarter. Whatever the reason for Franklin firing last year's WR coach couldn't have been that egregious (the guy is at Air Force now and they have some high moral standards there). The guy they brought in did ZERO to make that position group better.

I'm just glad I didn't have any inkling to go to this game.
Figured flights might be cheap but Delta wanted $1100 r/t going last night and returning tonight. Hard pass.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:15 am

I think ntp is a gif maker… perhaps he’ll give it a go? @NTP66

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:30 am

:thumb:

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:40 am

That’s the mom of Coziah Izzard, backup defensive end. The Athletic got an interview with her at halftime.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:46 am

yessssssss future GDT staple

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:47 pm

Cephas enters portal. No great loss

Potts enters draft. I liked the kid but with Allen and Singleton there wasn’t really a top spot for him. Best of luck.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:37 am

Julian Fleming in too via the portal. Some decent WR help maybe incoming.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Jan 05, 2024 9:17 am

Julian Fleming in too via the portal. Some decent WR help maybe incoming.
On Central PA player who came home leaves, another one comes in.

Fleming was the #1 receiver and #3 overall recruit in the 2020 class. He didn't live up to that at OSU but have to sort of wonder if staying in PA would have been better for everyone. We sure could have used another receiver this season. Of course maybe he wouldn't have lived up to it here either. We were pretty deep at WR back then too, with Dotson, Washington, etc.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 10:00 am

Word is he had trouble understanding the route trees, which pushed him down the depth chart and he never made that next step.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:25 pm

https://www.pennlive.com/sports/2024/02 ... utType=amp
Penn State Health and Dr. Kevin Black, Lynch’s former supervisor there, allegedly told Lynch he was out at Penn State athletics because he lacked a primary residence in State College and a local doctor would better serve the health and welfare of PSU athletes.

But Marino argues Lynch was ousted from his PSU athletics role due to his repeated clashes with Penn State Football Coach James Franklin. Marino said Franklin repeatedly tried to interfere with Lynch’s medical decisions in order to rush injured players back to the field
My kneejerk reaction is to believe the doctor

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:25 pm

Something to watch for today...

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:42 pm

Is there a 2024 thread yet? Idk. Anyway, anyone heading to BW Weekend? Weather's looking promising.