Microsoft Office/Excel Question

Jofa Guy

Microsoft Office/Excel Question

Postby Jofa Guy » Tue May 05, 2015 7:02 pm

I didn't want to post this in another thread because I really would like to have a quick answer to this question.

I have a big project due tomorrow and I procrastinated like a typical college student. I don't want to drive to the school library and I really need Microsoft Word and Excel. Does anybody know any downloads I could look up or anything else I could do besides actually buying it?

Feel free to merge this thread in somewhere else or delete it. (Hopefully after I got a response)

Thanks!

grunthy

Microsoft Office Question

Postby grunthy » Tue May 05, 2015 7:04 pm

use google docs

tfrizz

Postby tfrizz » Tue May 05, 2015 7:05 pm

https://www.libreoffice.org/

Free alternative. Compatible with MS Office files, though not 100% perfect in that regard.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Tue May 05, 2015 7:05 pm

OpenOffice?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:06 pm

I've used both, and the controls with Libre Office are closer to MS Office. It's like a 400 mb download, I've used it for years.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:09 pm

I didn't want to post this in another thread because I really would like to have a quick answer to this question.

I have a big project due tomorrow and I procrastinated like a typical college student. I don't want to drive to the school library and I really need Microsoft Word and Excel. Does anybody know any downloads I could look up or anything else I could do besides actually buying it?

Feel free to merge this thread in somewhere else or delete it. (Hopefully after I got a response)

Thanks!
There is a membership thing you can do that would be cheaper than buying it:

$6.99 for the month, or $69.99 for the year. Includes all updates and new additions as well, kind of a cool concept.

https://products.office.com/en-us/buy/office

Jofa Guy

Postby Jofa Guy » Tue May 05, 2015 7:09 pm

Thanks!
There is a membership thing you can do that would be cheaper than buying it:

$6.99 for the month, or $69.99 for the year. Includes all updates and new additions as well, kind of a cool concept.

https://products.office.com/en-us/buy/office
I just don't want to buy it because it's already included in my school tuition. I just am going to get a 30 day free download from the actual site and delete this thread. Thanks!

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Tue May 05, 2015 7:12 pm

Jofa Guy deletes all traces of his imperfections.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 05, 2015 7:25 pm

and delete this thread.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 05, 2015 7:33 pm

Source of the post I just am going to get a 30 day free download
This was going to be my suggestion, Office 2013 is a full evaluation for 30 days. If you install Windows 10 Technical Preview, it will reset every time they update. ;)

Sorry I took an hour off of the internet, though. Need to latch my laptop to the treadmill somehow.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue May 05, 2015 8:31 pm

Google "Microsoft office online" sign up for an account, use full Microsoft office in the cloud for free

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 05, 2015 8:33 pm

I found out the hard way that the real time collaboration with Office Online comes with a pricetag if you want to do the editing with a full copy of Word.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue May 05, 2015 10:56 pm

I found out the hard way that the real time collaboration with Office Online comes with a pricetag if you want to do the editing with a full copy of Word.
OPEN OFFICE THEN!!!! Bow to your google overlords now to them, to the queen of filth to the queen of refuse boo boo boo...

Sorry what?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue May 05, 2015 10:58 pm

Torrent it

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 05, 2015 11:10 pm

Wat? :lol:

Jofa Guy

Postby Jofa Guy » Wed May 06, 2015 4:18 am

The word trial is awesome. I didn't realize how much the updated it.

I put the free trial on the debit card I have for working the restaurant. After a month if it goes for $6.99 then great, but I get paid $2.13 an hour so I see money on there once every 2 months lol

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:42 am

Struggling to find an answer, and I realized this is the biggest group of nerds I know.

I have 2 worksheets detailing health insurance- we'll call them Employees and Dependents. Each employee could have multiple dependents on their insurance plan. The employee and related dependents have an ID # that matches. I need all of the dependents on the dependent worksheet to be inserted on the same row as their employee.

So basically, if the ID# on the employee sheet matches the ID# on the dependent sheet, I need to add the dependent info on the same row as the employee. Is this possible? Thank you!

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:51 am

Struggling to find an answer, and I realized this is the biggest group of nerds I know.

I have 2 worksheets detailing health insurance- we'll call them Employees and Dependents. Each employee could have multiple dependents on their insurance plan. The employee and related dependents have an ID # that matches. I need all of the dependents on the dependent worksheet to be inserted on the same row as their employee.

So basically, if the ID# on the employee sheet matches the ID# on the dependent sheet, I need to add the dependent info on the same row as the employee. Is this possible? Thank you!
Sounds like a job for VLookup! Although it will have to be tweaked if an ID can have more than 1 dependent, which I'm sure is the case.

Someone might have a better idea but off the top of my head, on the dependent page you could have mini tables that have one unique id per mini table. Sort dependent page by id number and then pull out duplicates across new tables until you have unique ids in every 2 column table.

Column A and B - A is ID and B is name

Column C and D - C is ID and D is name

so on and so forth.

Then a vlookup would work in each mini table.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:11 am

You can signup for a Microsoft account and use office online. It's free and easy.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:02 pm

Sounds like a job for VLookup! Although it will have to be tweaked if an ID can have more than 1 dependent, which I'm sure is the case.

Someone might have a better idea but off the top of my head, on the dependent page you could have mini tables that have one unique id per mini table. Sort dependent page by id number and then pull out duplicates across new tables until you have unique ids in every 2 column table.

Column A and B - A is ID and B is name

Column C and D - C is ID and D is name

so on and so forth.

Then a vlookup would work in each mini table.
That would work, but could be tedious if the list is very long. You could also write an easy "IF" statement on the dependent worksheet that checks whether the ID before it is the same. If no, the value is 1. If yes, the value is previous cell +1. In a column next to that, you concatenate the two values so you have an ID with a suffix that is the number of the dependent.

In your employee worksheet, you have a column for the employee, then columns for dependents (1-N). Write the vlookup formula but look for user ID&1 for dependent 1 column, user ID&2 for dependent 2 column etc. You'll have to truncate the last digit of the dependent ID number in another column so that the ID numbers match.

You could hide all the other columns that don't show the real results you need to see so that the spreadsheet isn't a mess.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:41 pm

Ahh I think that might be the winner! Thanks. I'll report back this evening.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:12 pm

I'm endeavoring to automate a lot of the work that I do to get ready for the NCAA Tournament player auction in which I participate. I have gotten most of the way there, but this last piece is way above my head.

I have about 50-100 players whose game logs for the season I will need to review if I can't figure this out. I'd rather not do that if it's possible.

What I want to find out is how many games each of these players has had this year with 40+ points, 30+ points, and 20+ points. Sports Reference is a great resource for importing sports related data using the importhtlm function. I am able to use importhtml to import the game logs for each of the players that I want to look for, but then I'm not sure what to do once I get that data in (also not sure if there's a way to automate the importhtml function to alter the url based upon the name that I need, but I won't worry about that for now).

So, I'm sure there's some sort of if/then thing I can do. I basically need to scan a column for values between 20-29, 30-39, 40+ and return a count for each category. How do I do that?

Edit: OK. I guess I use COUNTIF. So far, I've only figured out how to do greater than X. Is there a way I can do "between" two numbers or >20 but <30?

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:24 pm

And just in case there's a wiz out there, if there is a way to do this, I will owe someone a beer.

Here's what the url for a player's game log looks like:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... elog/2016/

Is there a way I can go down through my list of players and retrieve game logs based upon my list of players?

So if my list is:
Buddy Hield
AJ English
Grayson Allen
Ben Bentil
Kyle Wiltjer

I want to grab the game logs for these players? If I separate first and last name into the first two columns, is there any way that I can use those cells to fill in a portion of the url?

like: =importhtml("http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/[A1]-[A2]-1/gamelog/2016/", "table", 1) ... or something?

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Mar 01, 2016 6:11 am

And just in case there's a wiz out there, if there is a way to do this, I will owe someone a beer.

Here's what the url for a player's game log looks like:
http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pla ... elog/2016/

Is there a way I can go down through my list of players and retrieve game logs based upon my list of players?

So if my list is:
Buddy Hield
AJ English
Grayson Allen
Ben Bentil
Kyle Wiltjer

I want to grab the game logs for these players? If I separate first and last name into the first two columns, is there any way that I can use those cells to fill in a portion of the url?

like: =importhtml("http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/[A1]-[A2]-1/gamelog/2016/", "table", 1) ... or something?
I may be crazy but have you exported the data to Excel and filtered it?

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:17 am

I can import the data to Excel/google sheets. I'm trying to figure out how to then automate the review of the data. I'm also trying to figure out if there's a way to automate the importation of the data using a list of player names as a starting point. To do that, I will need to find a way to populate part of the url I'm importing data from by reference to cells in my spreadsheets.