Little stuff that you do to improve your day/life

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:37 pm

Rare thread creation from me, might be a bust...but what's some little thing(s) that you do that makes your day or even life better...?

Early or mid-afternoon, I wash my face with cold water. Kind of gives me a little reset, a little bit of energy.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:39 pm

Well, as a Proud Boy my options are limited...

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:39 pm

:lol:

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:42 pm

I do that do mikey, just splash my face with nice cool water, it does give you a little boost.

I try to follow that rule to get up like every 30 minutes or so and stretch or walk around since I sit at a desk for my job.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:43 pm

I do that do mikey, just splash my face with nice cool water, it does give you a little boost.

I try to follow that rule to get up like every 30 minutes or so and stretch or walk around since I sit at a desk for my job.
Do you wash your hands first?

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:43 pm

Sometimes I take a 5 minute break from tiktok and bang out a few emails

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:45 pm

Do you wash your hands first?
If I pooped or pissed, yes. If not, no, I just splash dirty water in my face.

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:46 pm

Go walk in the woods. Rip a j. Read. Drink a cup of tea. Fire some pucks in the net aht back.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:49 pm

I read 4 different newspapers throughout the week. Sadly 3 of the 4 are weekly or less. But I feel smarter and feel like a better citizen when I read the paper.

I also try and birdwatch a bit. There's a screech owl living in the neighborhood and I'm trying to pinpoint exactly where it lives

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:49 pm

I read 4 different newspapers throughout the week. Sadly 3 of the 4 are weekly or less. But I feel smarter and feel like a better citizen when I read the paper.

I also try and birdwatch a bit. There's a screech owl living in the neighborhood and I'm trying to pinpoint exactly where it lives
Do you still buy the actual paper? Or read it online.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:52 pm

Start fights with my dogs

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:55 pm

My dog is allowed to roam around outside by herself, but I have to open the door for her. So I'll often step outside with her and just take in the fresh air once or twice a day.

I have a really bad habit of working through lunch and never really leaving my computer all day except to tend to the dog. Sometimes I'll plan a low-effort errand over lunch just to force myself to leave the house. Tried that today and failed, got sucked back into work stuff.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:56 pm

Wsj, east end print, business Times, and the South hills almanac (which barely counts). All paper copies.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:03 pm

Wsj, east end print, business Times, and the South hills almanac (which barely counts). All paper copies.
Do you wear slippers and smoke a pipe while reading? Please say you do.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:03 pm

My dog is allowed to roam around outside by herself, but I have to open the door for her. So I'll often step outside with her and just take in the fresh air once or twice a day.

I have a really bad habit of working through lunch and never really leaving my computer all day except to tend to the dog. Sometimes I'll plan a low-effort errand over lunch just to force myself to leave the house. Tried that today and failed, got sucked back into work stuff.
Yeah, I struggle with this too...especially in the winter. Other seasons, I've found that sitting out on my fire escape or sitting outside at some public seating that's right at the end of my block is a nice change of pace...

I've also all but abandoned my office since I got a cat because I used to keep him company when he was a kitten so that he felt safe while adjusting...and now I basically just sit on my couch and work from my coffee table with Dupuis still sitting/sleeping next to me...

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:06 pm

Sometimes I just got for a walk during lunch just to get some air..especially in the spring/summer. I will also work on the deck if I can.

Winter is a bit tougher, so sometimes at lunch I just go downstairs and play a quick game of NHL 94, or hop on the bike and just pedal for like 10 minutes just to break up my day.

I've gone to the grocery store or target mid day just to get out of the house.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:10 pm

My dogs lay on the guest bed behind me all day, except one daily freak out when they hear the mail man. The six year old just groans while I administer the head lock, the three year old is ready throw down all day everyday

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:12 pm

Our CIO instituted a 45 minute meeting cap, so that actually frees me up for 60-90 minutes a day. I actually have some time to do things like poop and grab food now.

I’ve started going and laying down with my old dog for 5-10 minutes. It’s amazing what laying next to a dog and closing my eyes will do to me as a mental boost.

I’ve also started parking and walking to pick my kids up from school instead of waiting in the car line. I actually get home sooner and that little bit of a walk is really nice for my daily step count. It adds roughly 1,500 a day.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:15 pm

Good stuff :thumb:

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:19 pm

i think for actual mental/work life management. The first thing I do after logging on each morning is listing the daily to-dos using the bullet journal. I think that this early morning 15-20 minute routine helps keep me on track and organized for the day

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:27 pm

A few times a day I take music breaks. Pick up a guitar or sit at ye olde Casio and bang out one or two songs, or learn a new song.

I'm also very fastidious about the organization of my desk area. It's like mise-en-place in the kitchen, everything is ordered just so. Makes me at least feel more efficient. It's like the only Type A trait Mrs Tif does not have, and it's kind of funny. She'll be highly structured in the way she prepares her work, and the way she delivers her work product for consumption to her team and whatnot, and is outwardly super duper highly polished........... but she doesn't know where the pens are (narrator: they're in her desk drawer), and there are three pair of heeled 'work' shoes in her car that she has put less than 3,000 miles on in 14 months.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:30 pm

Together, we also will take a walk around our backyard and pause at a few points and just breathe and look at things. There are a couple specific places we do mini sun salutes to slow ourselves down.

Kane

Postby Kane » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:30 pm

When I'm in the office I always shut my door at lunch and read a little of whatever book I'm working on at the time. Usually a nice 15-20 minute break to focus on something else before the back 9.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:31 pm

post-work nap. Usually a 30 minute one, but sometimes it goes about 45. Anything beyond an hour and it messes with my already terrible sleep cycle.

I had somebody in the office recommend it, and it's almost like a reset on the day. I get home early enough to where it doesn't feel like it's taking a chunk out of post-work life. Typically I get home around 345, nap around 4, wake up around 430 or 445ish, and I no longer have that drained feeling that I had leaving the office.

There are two downsides to this: sometimes those naps go too long (see above), or I have stretches where I become dependent on those naps. Ideally, I only try to do that once a week. But when I was running solo at work and was sleeping a few hours a night, it got to the point where I was doing it almost every other day.
I’ve started going and laying down with my old dog for 5-10 minutes. It’s amazing what laying next to a dog and closing my eyes will do to me as a mental boost.
When I go to visit my sister, the dog usually crashes with me for the night. Having the dog there is so relaxing and results in some of the best sleep that I'll get in weeks. Although sometimes he'll stretch and make sure that he gets his share of the bed, aka across the middle of the entire bed.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:32 pm

Mrs Tif is a power napper. She takes 15-20 naps every single day, working or not. If I go to sleep at any point, it is an hours-long operation.