Randomness Dos

DigitalGypsy66

Randomness Dos

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:49 am

Not quite the same level, but almost equally ridiculous: I ordered a travel pillow from Amazon, and it was packed in bubble wrap.

Morkle

Randomness Dos

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:58 am

In this day and age, people that fumble around paying with cash really irk me.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:08 am

@Willie Kool

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:08 am

Similarly, there was a guy about three cars ahead of me that couldn't decide which PA Turnpike toll lane to go through. Made a last second dive into the EZ Pass Only lane, cutting a guy off and starting a chain reaction of braking. He got to the booth and...stopped. Couldn't get a ticket; because it's the EZ Pass only lane. Sat and waited for a booth operator to come from a manned booth to give him one. So effectively he stopped two full lanes of the outbound Pittsburgh toll interchange.

If someone had shot him I wouldn't have seen anything, if you know what I mean.

AuthorTony

Randomness Dos

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:17 am

Try living in a small town where over half of the independently owned stores require a $10 minimum purchase to use your debit/credit card. I can't even count how many times I've needed to buy $5 worth of crap because I didn't have cash and had to use a card.

Morkle

Randomness Dos

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:23 am

Similarly, there was a guy about three cars ahead of me that couldn't decide which PA Turnpike toll lane to go through. Made a last second dive into the EZ Pass Only lane, cutting a guy off and starting a chain reaction of braking. He got to the booth and...stopped. Couldn't get a ticket; because it's the EZ Pass only lane. Sat and waited for a booth operator to come from a manned booth to give him one. So effectively he stopped two full lanes of the outbound Pittsburgh toll interchange.

This literally happened to me this weekend driving to my parents house.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:25 am

Try living in a small town where over half of the independently owned stores require a $10 minimum purchase to use your debit/credit card. I can't even count how many times I've needed to buy $5 worth of crap because I didn't have cash and had to use a card.
I'm waiting for this to happen to me at a restaurant, when we find out post-meal that it's cash-only. They'd be SOL unless the meal was under $20.

Morkle

Randomness Dos

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:25 am

There were two old people in front of me at Sheetz this morning. Both bought two different sizes of coffee, one fumbled around with exact change, and the other paid with a 20 and then at the last second said "WAIT I HAVE THE CHANGE" and then decided to dig for gold after handing over the 20. IF YOU HAD THE CHANGE AND YOU KNEW YOU NEEDED CHANGE TO PAY WHY WERE YOU NOT READY TO DELIVER THE CHANGE GOD DAMNIT.

Factorial

Randomness Dos

Postby Factorial » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:28 am

They could be writing checks.

Morkle

Randomness Dos

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:30 am

I honestly haven't seen anyone write a check in person to a store in probably 5-10 years. It doesn't infuriate me as much as the cash thing purely because the cash thing is far more frequent and it's always roughly the same things happening over and over.

AuthorTony

Randomness Dos

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:30 am

Exact change people are bad but people who can't figure out how to use the credit/debit card swiper are even worse imho.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:32 am

To be fair, having to play the 'Chip or Swipe' guessing game every single time doesn't speed things up.

Factorial

Randomness Dos

Postby Factorial » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:36 am

To be fair, having to play the 'Chip or Swipe' guessing game every single time doesn't speed things up.
:thumb:

Morkle

Randomness Dos

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:37 am

I think this is ultimately frustrating too because seemingly every business uses different standards. I've now just reverted to the, we're going chip first and everything else will sort out.

DigitalGypsy66

Randomness Dos

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:42 am

Man, I love paying via Google Pay...when it works, and the store supports it. I just wish it was consistent - do I need a PIN? Signature? None of the above? It's different for every transaction, even in the same store it seems.

Morkle

Randomness Dos

Postby Morkle » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:46 am

Man, I love paying via Google Pay...when it works, and the store supports it. I just wish it was consistent - do I need a PIN? Signature? None of the above? It's different for every transaction, even in the same store it seems.
Also this with Apple Pay. I absolutely love stores that have this enabled and say it's enabled because that's my preferred preference of payment.

Willie Kool

Randomness Dos

Postby Willie Kool » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:35 am

@Willie Kool
"The world went and got itself in a big damn hurry."

MrKennethTKangaroo

Randomness Dos

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:41 am

ok brooks

shafnutz05

Randomness Dos

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:22 pm

:lol:

I absolutely LOATHE the toll booth zombies. I usually just laugh at the people that are sitting 15 cars deep in line because they think having an EZ Pass transponder will violate their rights or steal their money.

Within the last year, many roads in the Orlando area (including the whole Florida Turnpike) started accepting EZ-Pass. But it is very annoying down there because their toll roads are operated by two separate entities, and only one currently accepts it. So driving from MCO, the first toll booth you have to go through the cash lanes. Gets very confusing because there is zero EZ Pass signage on any of them.

Oh, and a big **** you to the people that think the toll booth is the place they should ask for directions. I've seen it every time I've had to drive through Orlando, someone holding up the line asking how to get to Universal or some dumb sht.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:38 pm

Hah. On I-80/90 in Indiana they put "DIRECTIONS AT TOLL EXIT" for exits that have attractions. I've wondered if that's an invitation to bother the toll operator or if they just have a stack of directions printed out that they give away.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Randomness Dos

Postby meow » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:37 pm

@Willie Kool
"The world went and got itself in a big damn hurry."
“The future is now, old man”

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:33 pm

The only times I ever use exact change is when I'm getting drive-though fast food. I have a change bin in my car, and if I'm in a line of cars to get food, I usually have plenty of time from ordering to pickup to count out the 46 cents or whatever. Any change I get on any other occasion goes into the car bin.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:33 pm

$10 says Shyster enjoyed throwing coins into the old school turnpike toll booth baskets.

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:50 pm

Don't think I've ever used those. I spent a summer commuting on the Turnpike for an internship during law school, and that was before EZPass was available. It was such a PITA having to stop and pay that I got an EZPass pretty much as soon as they were available even though I was no longer commuting. None of the booths I was using were the unmanned "toss in the change" types, however.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:57 pm

Wow, some of the highways in Jersey still use them. What a podunk state.