Randomness Dos

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:29 pm

Those gas explosions in Massachusetts are really interesting. They explosions aren't in a straight line and aren't very tightly clustered. There's an engineering forum I found that I turn to whenever there's an engineering-type disaster somewhere (https://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=815) and the people there think the most likely cause is that some pressure-relief valve failed somewhere and the residential lines leading to those neighborhoods (which are at relatively low pressure) were subjected to the much higher pressure levels typical of major gas pipelines. That theory would explain why a whole bunch of seeming unrelated houses over a fairly wide area all blew up at roughly the same time. The houses that exploded were ones where the pressure spike was too much for their interior gas lines to withstand, so for example the gas lines leading to their furnaces ruptured or broke at joints. They were all filling with gas at the same time and exploded right around the same time.

Pavel Bure

Randomness Dos

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Sep 14, 2018 11:37 pm

First impression is that dude guy is not telling the whole story about that night at the hotel pool. And I agree completely with everything in the top response (basically that the decision to terminate has already been made, and the hearing is largely for administrative purposes).
I wish he would provide an update since his interview was this morning.
He provided an update. He was fired. He lied to his wife that he was laid off, she must never find out. He said they had him on video and interviewed multiple people. He also said his boss tatted him out.

All in all that guy seems like a real scum bag.

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:35 am

The 2019 budget for the National Institute of Standards and Technology proposes to eliminate funding for the WWV, WWVB, and WWVH radio stations, which are the radio stations that provide the "atomic" time signals that are used by millions of clocks, watches, weather stations, irrigation controllers, and other instruments.

https://learningenglish.voanews.com/a/u ... 58591.html

robbiestoupe

Randomness Dos

Postby robbiestoupe » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:52 am

Those gas explosions in Massachusetts are really interesting. They explosions aren't in a straight line and aren't very tightly clustered. There's an engineering forum I found that I turn to whenever there's an engineering-type disaster somewhere (https://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=815) and the people there think the most likely cause is that some pressure-relief valve failed somewhere and the residential lines leading to those neighborhoods (which are at relatively low pressure) were subjected to the much higher pressure levels typical of major gas pipelines. That theory would explain why a whole bunch of seeming unrelated houses over a fairly wide area all blew up at roughly the same time. The houses that exploded were ones where the pressure spike was too much for their interior gas lines to withstand, so for example the gas lines leading to their furnaces ruptured or broke at joints. They were all filling with gas at the same time and exploded right around the same time.
At first I wanted to call BS because I cannot imagine a cast iron gas line rupturing. But they do use stainless steel flex lines now for natural gas. The flex will definitely be rated at a lower pressure than the cast iron.

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:18 am

Dropped an orange slice and a pineapple slice, separately, on my pants this morning...I need to go home to deal with this tragedy...

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:20 am

Got a hole in that burlap sack?

Lemon Berry Lobster

Randomness Dos

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:24 am

Dropped an orange slice and a pineapple slice, separately, on my pants this morning...I need to go home to deal with this tragedy...
Did you drop your cocktail fruits or did you have a different type of accident?

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:30 am

I don't know how to field either question...I didn't have time to go produce shopping between practice and work, so I scooped up a small fruit salad from a food truck near my work...and apparently, I have feet for hands today...and, as usual, my pants are a sticky mess...

blackjack68

Randomness Dos

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:38 am

I don't know how to field either question...I didn't have time to go produce shopping between practice and work, so I scooped up a small fruit salad from a food truck near my work...and apparently, I have feet for hands today...and, as usual, my pants are a sticky mess...

Gabe

Randomness Dos

Postby Gabe » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:45 am

The 2019 budget for the National Institute of Standards and Technology proposes to eliminate funding for the WWV, WWVB, and WWVH radio stations, which are the radio stations that provide the "atomic" time signals that are used by millions of clocks, watches, weather stations, irrigation controllers, and other instruments.

They are looking to save 6.5 mil with this move. less than 2 cents for every American. I think we can spare the cash to keep these running.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:48 am

They are looking to save 6.5 mil with this move. less than 2 cents for every American. I think we can spare the cash to keep these running.
Or, maybe just let another country take care of this incredibly vital mission: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_atomic_clocks

Gabe

Randomness Dos

Postby Gabe » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:31 pm

Or, maybe just let another country take care of this incredibly vital mission: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_atomic_clocks
sure, we could. Usually, in the long run, imo, if you have the infrastructure built to run a program at minimal cost, it's better to do the job yourself, rather than rely on others (especially when you piss off the rest of the world with bully tactics).

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:34 pm

Hey, I'm down for some isolationism. Lets do it.

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:37 pm

It's not just the atomic clocks, and I don't think the budget cut is actually for the clocks themselves. It's for the low-frequency AM radio stations that broadcast the time signals across the country. That functionality wouldn't be available from any other source. There are literally millions of devices that use those radio signals to automatically sync their onboard clocks. The administration's apparent rationale for the cut is that "You can use GPS signals to provide time signals," but GPS signals require a clear sightline to the sky and cannot penetrate buildings, so they are useless, for example, to sync devices that are kept inside. GPS cannot replace what those radio stations do.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:43 pm

I know how an atomic clock works. I just don't care.

The devices that require that level of precision can find another way. Everyone else can sync via the internet, etc. When I worked in Iraq/Afghan our tactical track data was sync'd via our tactical server. It's not difficult to query a timebase and sync from there, on the open internet side we use the Naval Observatory timebase server.

I'm not advocating either way, I just don't think that relying on AM radiowaves is really 'necessary' as we move forward. Convenient for some, okay. But worth keeping around for the sake of it? Nah. If it had value in terms of national security it wouldn't have been carved out for elimination.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:09 pm

What dodint said.

Gaucho

Randomness Dos

Postby Gaucho » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:07 am

llipgh2

Randomness Dos

Postby llipgh2 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:40 pm

Market District Organic Marinara sauce is actually good. Bought it yesterday because I was hungry for pasta but wasn't in the mood to make sauce.

Needed a couple of shots of Frank's Red Hot to perk it up a bit, but overall it was tasty. I'd buy it again.

eddy

Randomness Dos

Postby eddy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:46 pm

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:54 pm

Twitter media only plays for a handful of seconds for me and then just spins...on all my devices and any internet...I don't know why...

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:57 pm

meat-in-tube-form-on-a-skewer-using-a-soda-bottle-a-soda-can-and-plumbing.wmv

Now, go fire up an episode of Good Eats.

mikey

Randomness Dos

Postby mikey » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:10 pm

Oh good, it didn't apply to me anyway...I don't drink soda and dislike handling raw meat other than to put it into a frying pan...

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Randomness Dos

Postby meow » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:19 pm

Who the f is Machine Gun Kelly and why the f is he in my Twitter feed?

MR25

Randomness Dos

Postby MR25 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:23 pm

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Randomness Dos

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:25 pm

“I created Bert,” says Frank Oz. “I know what and who he is.” And no, he isn’t gay.
https://mobile.twitter.com/DEADLINE/sta ... 9756987392